1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM

327 Federal

Who here has one of these in a snub .38 frame? My mother's expressed interest in obtaining a CCP and I was thinking the .38special Charter Arms or .380 revolver but I've been looking at these .327 Federal magnums. What I'd like to know is if the recoil is such that she'd not find it enjoyable to shoot?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 PM

I have a Taurus .327 Federal w/ a 2" barrel. I have found it surprisingly accurate for a snubbie. No problems so far.

One nice thing is you have the ability to shoot .32 H&R (and other .32's) as well as .327 Federal Magnum. Makes training rather easy for folks who tend to be recoil shy.

The 1500 FPS 100 grain cartridges tend to be rather stout. There are 85 grain @ 1400 that are easier to shoot. All in all, I'm very happy with the revolver. Given the ballistics it looks like it can do its job rather well for a lightweight revolver.

I'm happy with it. In fact, if my finances eventually straighten out, I'd like to get a Ruger in .327 with a 4" barrel in addition to the Taurus.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM

.327 can be hard to find - you may be better off finding her a small .38 Special +P revolver. There are more revolvers that chamber this, it's cheaper, easier to find, and has more bullet offerings.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM

Further advice. Buy a quality brand revolver, no charter, taurus or Rossi. Ruger or smith and wesson and you'll do fine. Oh and 327 ain't exactly low recoil.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter7 View Post
Further advice. Buy a quality brand revolver, no charter, taurus or Rossi. Ruger or smith and wesson and you'll do fine. Oh and 327 ain't exactly low recoil.
IMHO the older Charters are superior to the newer Smiths,I have both,and have owned more examples of each.can't help you on the 327 but it looks very interesting.COLD.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 AM

Agreed, I have an older charter also in 38spl. It is a fine gun. But, it was also made by the original charter, not what we know as charter now. My interest is peaked by the 40s&w bulldog they just put out. Especially when the 9mm comes out, I may be a sucker, we'll see.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post
.327 can be hard to find - you may be better off finding her a small .38 Special +P revolver. There are more revolvers that chamber this, it's cheaper, easier to find, and has more bullet offerings.
Agreed, I went to the LGS this afternoon during lunch and they had a S&W 2" in .327 Federal so I rented it and hit the range with a box of $24.99 ammo. It did fire surprisingly accurately, a little stoutish on the recoil side for a lady who's never fired before.

I've decided I'm going to go ahead and purchase a Purple Charter Arms 2" in .38spl, a Taurus lightweight 2" in .38spl and a Ruger LCR and let her choose from the three, and of the three, I know it'll be the Purple one as she's a member of the Red Hat Society, and the purple gun goes well with her purple outfits.

With all the .38spl ammo I have on hand, in all types of loadings, I've settled on the following two loads for her:

1. Federal Premium Personal Defense Reduced Recoil Ammunition 38 Special 110 Grain Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point.

2. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition 38 Special +P 135 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Thanks all for your input, it's been great.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 AM

I have a Ruger SP101 in .327 and thoroughly love it. Recoil for .327 is similar to .38+P but with more impact. I can also shoot .32 S&W short, long, .32 H&R Mag, along with .327 Mag. Ammo is somewhat rare, but can be readily found on cheaperthandirt or other websites. I like it.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 AM

My wife has never fired a handgun, but mentioned an interest in shooting a few times. I bought a Ruger SP101 in .327 for her, thinking she could start out shooting the lower .32 rounds and work her way up to whatever .327 round she was comfortable with. After I brought the revolver home, she informed me that she didn't want a "round" handgun, but liked the way "square" ones looked.

That being said, I think the .327 is a fine caliber. I have carried the SP101 regularly IWB and OWB, and have shot it with no complaints. My local Cabelas always has had ammo in stock, so that has never been an issue for me.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
My wife has never fired a handgun, but mentioned an interest in shooting a few times. I bought a Ruger SP101 in .327 for her, thinking she could start out shooting the lower .32 rounds and work her way up to whatever .327 round she was comfortable with. After I brought the revolver home, she informed me that she didn't want a "round" handgun, but liked the way "square" ones looked.

That being said, I think the .327 is a fine caliber. I have carried the SP101 regularly IWB and OWB, and have shot it with no complaints. My local Cabelas always has had ammo in stock, so that has never been an issue for me.
Thanks, in addition to what I've already ordered, I'm going to go ahead and get a .327, most likely a S&W. I've decided on:

2" in .40S&W
2" in .380acp
2" in .38spl Charter Arms Purple for Mom, and Gold for me.
2" in .327 Federal, S&W's stainless version to go with my SP101 in 9mm

I'm more of a semi-auto person, but I do have quite a few revolvers, but my 2" models are mostly restricted to a pair of 2" Pythons, a Taurus 85, an SP101 in 9mm and a couple 3" S&W model 10's. Every other revolver is 4" and up.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 PM

As I said earlier, I have a Taurus snubbie in .327 federal. No problems with the gun. Goes BANG, very accurate for a short barreled gun. Have no problems with it.

As another poster said, there are other 32's you can shoot through it - so you can "tailor" the amount of recoil to the shooters ability. You can work your way up to full power rounds without inducing a flinch response.

There are some very impressive 327 magnum loads that seem more impressive than 38 special +p's. They are up in 357 mag territory with less recoil.

If they are too much , there are also some very nice SD loads that beat you up a lot less. The Federal "low recoil" load -- 85 grain bullet at 1400 FPS will do the job without beating you up too much.

I've never had a problem buying ammo - and now have accumulated a fair number of cases, so I don't expect to run out of ammo in the near future.

I happen to like the cartridge a lot.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM

I have to admit that I have been toying with this crazy notion of picking myself up a J-Frame like the S&W Model 632 with a 3 inch barrel and 6 rounds for the past 10 days since this thread was posted.

I've toyed with the idea of going with this round, .327 mag for over a two years now and been talked out of it by dealers more times than not.

But just looking at the ballistics of the .327 mag round and the choice of loading the same gun down in any of the lesser .32 rounds make this very appealing. Plus you get one extra round in a J-frame. The biggest drawback of the J-Frame has always been the 5 round count in the .38/.357 configuration.

It's driving me nuts.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM

The 327 Magnum is a good chambering and very versatile since you can shoot just about any 32 round through one. I have a 3" Smith & Wesson Model 632 and it has become one of my favorite revolvers. The recoil with 327 Mag loads is stout and probably to much for a novice shooter. That said 32 H&R Magnum have much less recoil and the various 32 S&W long loads are like shooting a 22. My wife who weighs 95 pounds enjoys the 632 with 32 loads. She's new to shooting and working her way up the comfort scale. I highly recommend any Ruger or S&W revolver in this calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05009.jpg   327 Magnum Gold Dot.jpg   DSC03509.jpg   DSC05010.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM

bought a 632 S&W revolver with 3 inch barrel. Enjoy being able to shoot 32 Longs, 32 mags and 327 mags. Big difference in recoil from 32 long to 32 mag and from 32 mag to 327 mags. Gun is a joy to shoot. Great trigger, surprisingly accurate, adjustable sights (which I really like). There are two versions, a stainless version and a black coated version. I got the stainless version as I suspect the black coated version will soon wear thru the paint.

Ammo is a little expensive if you are into plinking but if you reload it is very manageable. Ideal trail gun imho with six shots in a j frame. 327 mag is almost up to 357 mag power levels and exceeds .38 specials.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM

RCBS 327 Federal reloading dies will eat up most of a hundred dollar bill.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Got my wife the 4" Charter arms Patriot in 327. She absolutely loves it.

Remember if you don't fight for your rights, you will lose them!