1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > The Armed Citizen

Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM

homeowner shoots another 17yo named trev...

ok it's trevor

but this happened a couple of weeks ago (watch the video, no sympathy for the bad guys...)

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/10...uder-shot.html

they tracked down the 'alleged' bg-accomplice who has now been charged with murder...

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/30...harged-in.html

'moe

Last edited by thearmedrebel; 05-01-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Leave Zimmerman incident out of it
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Oh wow...... effed up world... Thank goodness she had a gun, the dudes gun may have very well been real.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM

A BB gun is a real gun. It shoots a projectile that can and will cause bodily harm. Just not real smart to take one to commit a crime with.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcdaniel1964 View Post
A BB gun is a real gun. It shoots a projectile that can and will cause bodily harm. Just not real smart to take one to commit a crime with.
You are correct. Thus far in my long career, I have worked two fatal BB gun shootings. One was a 13 yr old girl shot in the sterum and the other was a 20 yr old man shot in the eye. Both BB guns used were the standard lever action.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 AM

Really?

That's kind of scary. We used to have BB gun wars all the time when I was a kid. Stupid, I know.

The lever action "Red Rider" types were the weak guns. How does a shot from one to the sturnum kill someone? Or even the eye? It's a long way from the occular opening to the brain or any major arteries.

--David
Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 AM

after reading all these post thought I'd share

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneyday View Post
That's kind of scary. We used to have BB gun wars all the time when I was a kid. Stupid, I know.

The lever action "Red Rider" types were the weak guns. How does a shot from one to the sturnum kill someone? Or even the eye? It's a long way from the occular opening to the brain or any major arteries.

--David
David ......this a very common misconception alot of us shared as we were growing up ( That a BB or a "pellet" gun can't kill you - WRONG) as already ready stated by "Oldman45" a BB gun will and can Kill You . It depends on
a few contributing factors like proximity , velocity, and where on the body
is hit. at 4ft or less if shot through the eye this is leathal and at 2-3 feet if
shot hits a vital organ it will kill you. because when it comes to weapons and
projectile its come down to basics "velocity, muzzle energy" and distance.
I think alot of us were lucky not to hurt someone w/ our BB guns when we were kids ,bcause we didn't know. With that said I think when ever giving the chance
we should educate others who share the same misconception.
respectfully I truely hope I didn't offend anyone by my post. Thank you Gentlemen

Last edited by Bvrtail; 05-10-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 AM

I grew up not 4 blocks from there Good for her!!!! I got outta there as fast as i could. Kc used to be a blast to be
But in the last 20 yrs it had turned into a pit.
Finally got my mom and outta there!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 AM

I like the attitude of the neighbours! THAT is what prevents crime - people who are glad she was able to defend herself and unashamedly admit that they are not afraid of their neighbourhood after such an incident and would do the same themselves!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Good shootin' ma'am!

Are you a turtle?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvrtail View Post
I think alot of us were lucky not to hurt someone w/ our BB guns when we were kids ,bcause we didn't know.
Indeed, we didn't know. Thanks for the reply, Bvrtail.We did have sense enough to have rules like pump guns could only have two pumps, no pellets, and no more than one projectile. That last one came after a guy dumped 6-8 BBs down his barrel and made a nice line of dots from above a friends right eye, to just below his left. Divine intervention, I think.

As for the original story here, I'm glad the fact that the BG only had a BB gun was not held against the shooter. Especially now that I "know". I'm working towards CCW and sleep with my gun on my nightstand every night. Still, i NEVER want to be that lady.

--David
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 AM

I have the feeling you have a different gun in mind - airsoft guns and bb guns are two separate things. One shoots lead ammunition with great force, intended only for target practice and rodent hunting and the other - plastic pellets, which are often used for games, involving human targets.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:17 PM

My father in law had a buddy who was out cheating on his wife. When he got home the wife met him coming up the sidewalk. In an attempt to teach him a lesson she shot him with a single pump break action pellet gun. It found a path between the ribs and lodged in his heart. He dont cheat no more.
Regardless of all that the woman had no idea that the bugler had a BB gun or a real gun. Hell if I was being forced around with someone pointing any gun at me I dont know if I would take the time or have the composure to figure it out. Difference between a .22 and a BB isn't much (0.043"). Im glad to see the accomplice was charged with murder. If he goes to prison for 15 or 20 years over a TV and xBox it might make the next guy/kid think twice.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoniel View Post
I have the feeling you have a different gun in mind - airsoft guns and bb guns are two separate things. One shoots lead ammunition with great force, intended only for target practice and rodent hunting and the other - plastic pellets, which are often used for games, involving human targets.
What do you think people used before nerf, airsoft, and paintball guns existed? For that matter, why do you think they exist? Too many kids from the 70's on back having to pick BB's out of their skin, growing up with an eye patch, or worse not growing up at all.

And not all BB guns shoot with "great force." I had one of those 1911 look alike from wal-mart, I think it's made by Daisy. Anyway, you rack the slide to cock it and the thing barely has enough power to put a hole in cardboard. It wouldn't break skin if you put your hand right in front of the barrel, feel free to guess how I figured that out...

Same thing applies for the BB guns that you pump the foregrip multiple times. Yea, it'll go through you if you pump it 10 times, but if you only pump it once or twice it'll just leave a bruise. The scary ones are the break barrels like Jersey describes. I've got one made by Gamo, can't remember the model, but the darn thing actually kicks and cracks like a .22. For what I thought was a child's plaything it's a little bit rediculous.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Actually, it's not about what a BB gun can do. Even if it were a piece of wood fixed up to look like a gun, and it was being used as if it were a gun, then it becomes a 'firearm' for all intents and purposes. If you don't believe that, make one yourself and go point it at a policeman.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM

I wouldn't post that, it could get someone killed.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoniel View Post
Uh, no. I know exactly what a BB/pellet gun is, and back then we didn't have airsoft guns. I used the very Daisy 880 Powerline that I passed on to my kid. I used that same gun pumped 10 times to shoot many birds and squirrels. I only pumped it once to shoot my "friends".

We used the plastic bb guns, which were spring loaded and nothing like a modern airsoft gun, to have wars in the house. Hey, that's what they get for letting us be latch-key kids. It was ALL fun and games because no eyes were lost.

--David
Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM

If you rob someone with a corn cob in your pocket and wave it around like a weapon, I believe you get charged with Armed Robbery, not robbery with a corn cob.

Re Airsoft, from their wikipedia page (100% accurate right?)

Quote:
Most Airsoft guns are capable of shooting from 50 m/s (160 ft/s) to 125 m/s (410 ft/s), although it is also possible to purchase upgraded internals for some Airsoft guns that will enable the gun to shoot in excess of 550 FPS.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 PM

Good for her! Also glad this won't become a race card issue based on all parties involved. I can only imagine if she was another race unfortunately....
Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 PM

And just to add to the note on "BB" guns, the standard Daisy Red Ryder shots a standard BB at 350fps. Now I don't know what a single BB weighs, but with my Airforce Talon SS it will shoot a .22 cal pellet over 800 fps and produce 20+ FPE. It has taken it's share of tree rats at ranges up to 55 yards with out issue. I shoot adult air rifles and pistols as affordable alternatives ammo wise to keep my skills sharp. Anyway, kudos to the young lady, one more scum bag we don't have to worry about. I'm beginning to loose the affordable ammo battle since a group at work has started a twice a month fun shoot..
Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 AM

Media...

Is anyone else bothered by the T.V. reporters repeatedly refering to this woman as "the shooter"? The neighbors were all in her corner and there wasn't much the newspeople could spin... but you notice she's not being refered to as: "the resident" "the victim" or even "the defender"... they went with: "the shooter". Hmm.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM

I live in the KC area and it seems that we have a lot of home invasions around our city.

Guess I won't need to worry about Trevor...!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Administrator

I have an Airsoft M1911A1 that I swear to all of you looks exactly like the real thing. It would only take a couple of minutes with turpentine to rub off the safety orange paint on the front, and a black marker to color the brass BB tube inside the false barrel, and instantly it would become indistinguishable from a real handgun at any distance. It's not the victim's responsibility to learn how to spot differences between a BB gun, replica gun, or a real gun when it's pointed right at them. If threatened with anything that looks to them like a real firearm a rational person is going to take whatever steps they can to defend themselves. If it turns out afterwards to be a non-firing fake or an Airsoft gun it's not the would-be victim's fault they were threatened with something that can't actually kill.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.

Last edited by dsk; 06-06-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
You are correct. Thus far in my long career, I have worked two fatal BB gun shootings. One was a 13 yr old girl shot in the sterum and the other was a 20 yr old man shot in the eye. Both BB guns used were the standard lever action.
Geesh, I don't know how you cope with sad memories. That would bother me for a long time.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYX View Post
Is anyone else bothered by the T.V. reporters repeatedly refering to this woman as "the shooter"? The neighbors were all in her corner and there wasn't much the newspeople could spin... but you notice she's not being refered to as: "the resident" "the victim" or even "the defender"... they went with: "the shooter". Hmm.

Nice catch, THANK YOU. We are too accustomed to the $^%&*(%@ that the media spews, she was the VICTIM, and acted as she saw fit to protect herself and family.

Last edited by smallie9; 06-13-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYX View Post
There is no surprise in this.

You see, in the liberal mind of the media the government is the only one who should be defending you, your right to live in peace and only the government can be trusted with weapons-from a leatherman tool to a rolling pin to a machine gun-only the government, not the people, are just and wise enough to be allowed to use deadly force!

Fairly recently a man in Texas caught another man molesting his four year old daughter and he beat the caught in the act child molester to death with his bare hands...

Guess who the media referred to as "the victim"?

Not the little girl by gosh-she wasn't the victim, they called a dead child molester the victim!

It's a truly fracked up world out there...