1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM

Kimber Model Accuracy Question

So, I've gotten the ok from the Boss/wife to buy another Kimber.

I already own the Custom II, and love shooting it every chance I get.

The problem I'm running into is deciding which model to buy next.

I don't own a stainless 1911 so the Stainless II with Night Sights appeals to me. Then, on the other hand ... the Tactical Custom II, my other choice, has night sights as well.

Now, I know that the difference between the two pistols is the finish and weight. With the Tactical Custom II being lighter due to the Aluminum Frame.

Are both of them basically the same pistol as far as accuracy standards? Do they have the same internals?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM

I would recomend the SS TLE... checkered front strap and night sights... I believe you will really like the front strap checkering!
NRA Life member
Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 PM

I was thinking of going with the Tactical Custom II for my first gun but all of my law enforcement friends advised me to get the Tactical Custom HD II. I have absolutely no regrets.

All of the specs seem to be the same on the website aside from the HD being 7 oz. heavier.

I've only been shooting about 4-5 times now. The attached picture was from 15 yards and 2 full magazines with the Tactical Custom HD II.
Attached Thumbnails
20120531_150647.jpg  

Last edited by Z06Chris; 05-31-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 AM

Same barrel, same internals.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 AM

So, that leads me to my next question.

Is stainless steel more 'recoil forgiving' than aluminum? I know polymers and plain steel absorb shock and recoil well. What about aluminum?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:13 AM

What ever pistol you choose? Maybe you can have a barrel bushing fitted, maybe a trigger and action job? Maybe some instruction? Def. some practice.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostershooter7 View Post
So, that leads me to my next question.

Is stainless steel more 'recoil forgiving' than aluminum? I know polymers and plain steel absorb shock and recoil well. What about aluminum?
Polymer "absorbs" recoil by flexing. Metals transmit forces. The heavier the metal, the less force is felt. You won't notice any difference in recoil between a stainless gun and a carbon steel gun. You will feel more recoil with an aluminum gun than a steel one.

If recoil is a problem for you, you may need to reconsider the caliber you are shooting.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr View Post
Polymer "absorbs" recoil by flexing. Metals transmit forces. The heavier the metal, the less force is felt. You won't notice any difference in recoil between a stainless gun and a carbon steel gun. You will feel more recoil with an aluminum gun than a steel one.

If recoil is a problem for you, you may need to reconsider the caliber you are shooting.

No, it's not the recoil that bothers me. I'm just curious as this was one of the guys at the Kimber Booth's arguments at the NRA Show this past month. He stated that the aluminum frames are good for carry guns and that the stainless steel are more forgiving than the steel or aluminum frames.

Didn't know if this was true, or just a Kimber selling point.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 AM

If you're interested in a slightly shorter barrel and all-steel construction, check out the Stainless Pro TLE II. The front-strap checkering and night sights are excellent. It is excessively accurate, too!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR View Post
If you're interested in a slightly shorter barrel and all-steel construction, check out the Stainless Pro TLE II. The front-strap checkering and night sights are excellent. It is excessively accurate, too!
Very happy with my Stainless Pro TLE II! I use it for IDPA as well as my EDC. Easy to recommend it to others. If I was getting a new full sized, it would likely be a Stainless TLE Custom II.
-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've already considered that maybe ... just maybe ... a 4" Pro will make it home instead of another 5" pistol. I just might give a Pro model a second look.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Kruzr also got your first questions in the OP, yes and yes, and he got the next here too. It's about weight, not the metal material. That said, I don't noticed any real difference in my 2. 1 is all steel (SS) and 1 has an alloy frame.

As for barrel length, if it's not for carry, there no reason, unless you just want something different.

It just sounds like you have the green light to go have fun looking at everything until you come across the 1 that says, "take me home".
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostershooter7 View Post
...and that the stainless steel are more forgiving than the steel ...
Stainless is more forgiving of poor maintenance, barely. It will take a bit more neglect. That's the main advantage. The other advantage is economic, from the manufacturer's end. It doesn't require a finish.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I've never gotten used to the "flip' of the lighter polymer pistols. I admit I haven't practiced enough to get better technique. Maybe polymer absorbs recoil, but the lighter overall pistol weight results in more perceived recoil (to me). So far lightest practical recoil has been in Guardian 9mm Dan Wesson. Even with the heavier bullet weights, recoil is negligible.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
I've never gotten used to the "flip' of the lighter polymer pistols. I admit I haven't practiced enough to get better technique. Maybe polymer absorbs recoil, but the lighter overall pistol weight results in more perceived recoil (to me). So far lightest practical recoil has been in Guardian 9mm Dan Wesson. Even with the heavier bullet weights, recoil is negligible.
If you shoot a Delta Elite and a Glock 20 (10MM) you will notice the difference quite a bit.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 PM

I always recommend the Stainless Steel TLE whether it is Commander sized or Government Sized. You cannot go wrong with either. My first Kimber did not have the front strap checkering, SS Pro Carry HD, but my second was a Pro TLE/RL II. I did not know what I was missing until I had it. I now carry the Warrior, daily, but I reach for my SIS Pro first with the Warrior as a secondary. Now, I am planning on sending back both Pro Carry HDs and Warrior for front strap checkering...

Last edited by DARKEHORSE; 06-01-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM

I prefer stainless for a number of reasons. If you plan to shoot the pistol alot over the years, stainless or carbon steel will outlast aluminum.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 PM

I noticed the finish on all my blued models appeared a bit haggard after a while... My SS and Kimpros are still going strong...