1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM

Do I need special mags for a EB with magwell

Anxiously awaiting my call from Hammond that my first EB is ready to ship, I went online to find some additional mags. I was searching on the Wilson 47D and came across a site that said the 47D was not compatable with 1911's with a magwell.

Is this correct? Is there a different magazine that I need to be shopping for?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM

No the Wilson's will work. You just need magazines that have bumper pads on them. Wilson, Chip McCormick and others make them. Just call and tell them what you have and need and they will set you up.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM

I use WC 47D mags with my CQB Elite with a magwell, but I can't speak for EB magwells.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 PM

You need mags with a bumper pad for best and easiest use. You can, with some effort, insert a non-base-padded mag, but I'm not sure what the point would be (I suppose if it was the only mag available). I have mags from CMC, Wilson, EB, and Tripp that all work great in my EB SF/Rail. I just purchased some more Tripps, but I'm not sure they are worth the extra cost over the CMCs. I haven't tried my Kimpro mags yet, but I suspect they'd be fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 AM

47d's will work fine..

my advice? stay away from the site that said they won't work with a magwell..
-Alchemy Custom Target-
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM

I just bought 2 47D's to use with my Special Forces w/ magwell. I did a couple speed reloads over the weekend, they work just fine. As said above, anything with a bumper will work. Wilsons, Chip McCormicks, 10-8, EB's, etc.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Hey guys, first, thanks for the replies.

I went back to the site and "not compatable" may have been bad paraphrasing on my part. Here's what it says:

"Wilson's magazines are the most durable, reliable 1911 magazines on the market. The 47D has a standard length basepad, for pistols without magazine wells."

I see they have a 47DE, which seems to have a bigger bumper. Maybe I'll try one of those.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM

The standard 47D mags have a .350" base pad and work fine with a magwell. The 47DC mags have a low profile base pad but will still work with a magwell. You just have to be careful that you push them in far enough to lock in.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Might suggest that you try Top Gun Supply a major distributor for Checkmate magazines (the supplier of the EB factory mags). The exact match for the EB 7round is CM45-7-S-CMF-BP. Price 20.95 and comes with 2 base pads, 1 large and one small. I have 20 or so and am totally satisfied, especially with the price .... BTW ..... I have an EE with the magwell and the large is a perfect fit.