1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ruger

Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Congrats

Had mine around a year now and still the first gun outta the safe on range day. They remind me of babys...not a bad looking one at all. Mine has fed about every ammo known to man, using nearly every magazine on the market. Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to make your pics part of the post rather than an attachment? I know, its probably easy but any help would be great.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van-Romanator View Post
Yes Ruger Sr1911 has caught my eye but i would be a beginner in the 1911 platform.
Any words of encouragement?

I just want to buy 1911 with high quality and not pay an arm or a leg for one.
the ruger was my first 1911, no complaints!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Ruger's Pine Tree Facility has been making 1911 parts for other companies like Caspian for years so they knew how to do it right from the start. Buy with confidence. Mine is great and worth every penny.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
The SR1911 would appear to be what you are looking for...the only problem is that they are hard to find right now. I sure do like mine! Plus, Ruger is also a very good company to do business with, and they support what they sell. If you do have a problem, they will make it right.

If you can't find one, and want to get started without spending a lot of money, look at Rock Island Armory. They make very good pistols, with a lifetime warranty, and you can get them (depending on how they are configured) for around $500.
Thanks Ken,

That is actually my plan. Both are good pieces of hardware.
I only had one question, living in Ny we have high concentration of moisture in the air that being said rusting is an issue. If a gun is stainless dose that help? With stuff like knives and I have some collectables you touch the blade and if the steel is not high quality the oil in the hands can cause like rusting within like a week. Just wondering,

Thanks for the suggestion Ken,
Roman.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewj21 View Post
Had mine around a year now and still the first gun outta the safe on range day. They remind me of babys...not a bad looking one at all. Mine has fed about every ammo known to man, using nearly every magazine on the market. Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to make your pics part of the post rather than an attachment? I know, its probably easy but any help would be great.
Let me try to add an immage tag

http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=17

Basically its a sandwich tag to put image in
"[img]url[/img]"

Do with ought the Quotes and you can just load image from web with ought uploading.

Last edited by Van-Romanator; 05-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ken,

That is actually my plan. Both are good pieces of hardware.
I only had one question, living in Ny we have high concentration of moisture in the air that being said rusting is an issue. If a gun is stainless dose that help? With stuff like knives and I have some collectables you touch the blade and if the steel is not high quality the oil in the hands can cause like rusting within like a week. Just wondering,

Thanks for the suggestion Ken,
Roman.
Actually, stainless can rust as well, if it's not properly cared for...or so I have read. I've never had it happen, but then I try to take care of all my guns. The area where I live (around Dallas) is surprisingly humid, although not like Houston, but I keep my guns oiled and store them in treated gun socks.

RIA guns are made with high quality steel...now, to be honest, on the one RIA model that I owned, the parkerized finish was a little more "rough" (for lack of a better word to describe it) than the Range Officer I own. It wasn't bad, by any means, but seemed "dry" (I am having a tough time describing it.) I could wipe it down with oil or a silicone rag, and it would look wet, but seemed to dry up soon. I probably needed to keep oiling the finish, or doing some of the other things I have read about, but I ended up trading it when I came across another gun I had been wanting for a long time...and as these things go for me, it always happens just when I am short of cash. (These days that is just about EVERY day!) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rock, though, and in fact plan to do so when I can for a good, fun gun to tinker with.

Another inexpensive 1911 I read good mention of is the American Classic II. I can't remember if they have a one year warranty or lifetime, but if you buy it from Gun Genie, then Gun Genie provides its own lifetime warranty.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Yes certain types of ss will rust, most all the others will get surface rust.
there is a thread here i think its in gun smith or maybe general. It a very good thread from the stand point of the profesionals there. And it all boiled down yes they will rust or get surface rust. Keep it clean and oiled.

Gary
Old 05-26-2012, 06:19 PM

Even the surface area need to like some anti rust sprays or just oiled.
Usually oils in hands case surfaces to rust in like knives and swords and such.
That is why when using them wipe them down like blades then add oil.
Especially if sword in sheath it it would be not covered in air tight container i would suppose it would rust less.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:48 PM

Keep your knives and pistols out of leather holsters period. Trust me, I know this the hard way.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:56 PM

Will be my first fire arm soon hopefully lol.
Hopefully a 1911.

Thanks Gary.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Hey Everyone

I got mine about a month ago and have put 1100 rounds through it. It has preformed flawlessly and perfect. I have seen a couple people comment about accuracy issues but I don't have that complaint in anyway. I am by no means a crack shot but I get 1.5 to 2 inch groupings at 25 yards with this gun out of the box using American Eagle 45 ACP 230 Grain FMJ. I also have had good results with reloads using a Hornady .451 200 GR FMJ-C/T with 6.4 grns HP38 powder....no issues in anyway.

I have had a couple 1911's and this is by far my favorite. If you can get your hands on one, get it. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers

Rod
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM

I bought this one several months ago. It shoots great and looks even better. I did pay an arm and a leg for it but I've long since quit pining over the price.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_000122.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU_Colt View Post
I bought this one several months ago. It shoots great and looks even better. I did pay an arm and a leg for it but I've long since quit pining over the price.
Nice!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU_Colt View Post
Wow that looks nice.

Like a museum piece.

Do you guys agree this is a good beginner gun?

I originally wanted a 9mm Beretta.

But something about the 1911 platform drew me in.

And this rugger looks awesome.

Any advice to a newbie?

Is it perhaps something to powerful for a first gun?

I think I can get use to the recoil and learn to field strip it properly just want to hear opinions.

Thanks Everyone
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 AM

My Ruger SR1911 was my first 1911 and I could not be happier with it. I have had no issues other the the grips getting loose after the first 100 rds. I did the o-ring fix and it was fine after. I got new Ruger Grips for it, so we will see how it goes the next time at the range.
I paid a little more for mine than some did $749.95 but to me it was worth every penny as I was on a waiting list for a year ( still am at another dealer ). I got mine at Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA and they have more in stock, so if someone is looking and is okay with the price, I am sure they will hook you up.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 PM

That will be my first gun I ever buy lol.

Do they come with a plastic carry case?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Mine came in a cardboard box, but then again so did my S&W Shield. Cost cutting?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 AM

Cardboard but extra mag....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Mine came in a cardboard box, but then again so did my S&W Shield. Cost cutting?
I too thought there'd be a nicer case but I'll take the cardboard and softcase since the extra mag made up for it. Heck, my Browning Hi-Power came in styrofoam and cardboard back in the 80s.

Do you like the Shield (9mm or 40?)?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:

No hard plastic carrying case. They come with a zippered soft padded carrying case with the Ruger emblem. I think its very nice overall.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyefmaker View Post
No hard plastic carrying case. They come with a zippered soft padded carrying case with the Ruger emblem. I think its very nice overall.
Agreed. And I can fit more guns in my gunsafe when they are in padded cases versus in plastic cases.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM

For Ny if I would be just for home protection and have range and hunting privileges they like to have that case with a lock on it.

I think i can just go and buy one of them cases I don't think they should be that expensive.

Thanks,
Roman.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM

No big deal to change the grip safety if you don't like it.

Several for sale on Gunbroker - if you want to pay the price...
Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 AM

Are there any like reasonable ranges like.

Like Ruger SR 1911 goes from like MSRP: $699-$750

What about Ria's (Rock Island Armory) 1911 $490-$550

Anybody have anything good to say about the Remington R1's or Springfield's 1911's.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Are there any like reasonable ranges like.

Like Ruger SR 1911 goes from like MSRP: $699-$750

What about Ria's (Rock Island Armory) 1911 $490-$550

Anybody have anything good to say about the Remington R1's or Springfield's 1911's.
I am more than happy with my SR1911. It was my first 1911 and will not be my last. My next will be a Springfield Range Officer. I had looked at Kimbers for years as well. There are several good ones out there. I look for American Made items when I can and don't mind spending some extra $$ to get just that.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyefmaker View Post
I am more than happy with my SR1911. It was my first 1911 and will not be my last. My next will be a Springfield Range Officer. I had looked at Kimbers for years as well. There are several good ones out there. I look for American Made items when I can and don't mind spending some extra $$ to get just that.
With the Kimbers is it easy to convert it to a GI guide rod.

They have this way to take them apart that seems a bid confusing.

I mean something that would not require a tool.

If its a screw it might become loosened from vibrations and such.

The good thing about like Colt and Ruger is that all parts are like made in USA from every bolt in it. And had really good feedback on the Rugers for the price range.

Ruger Sr1911 has all the stuff that people want in a 1911 from what I read.
Any positive views on the Remington R1's?

Thanks,
Roman.