1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

Walther PPQ, I gave in to my temptation.

I finally could not ressist the atraction of the new Walther PPQ and bought one today. This gun is different in some ways and incredible in other ways.

The two things that were stopping me from buying this gun was the mag release that is similar to the HK and the fact that I don't think anybody is making a holster for it except Raven Holsters.

But the gun has a few very atractive points first one being the three size ergonomic grip which is second only to the HK P30, a trigger that has no equal in any gun with an incredible short reset and the S&W customer service that imports the gun.

That trigger is so good that in my opinion it is better then most triggers and rivals the 1911 which is no little matter considering that it is a striker fired pistol.

I fired out of the box with out doing anything to it 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 115 FMJ's shooting as fast as I could with zero malfunctions of any kind and surprise the gun is also very accurate that probably is due to its great trigger.

I was thinking of buying a 1911 or a SIG 229 Extreme but I bought this gun and I still have enough money to buy a second gun maybe the CZ P01 that I also have my eye on.

BTW who said I am married to Glock's?

To the moderators if this is posted in the wrong place please move it to the Range Reports Forum
Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 PM

I've got 2, one for me and wife. Also have the P99. Great guns. Underrated. It beats a glock, hands down.
The American people will never knowingly adopt a Police Sate, but under the name of security and Police Officer safety they will adopt every fragment of a Police State until one day America will be a Police State without ever knowing how it happened.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM

Nice! I've been wanting one for a while, but I'm saving for a new bolt gun.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Banned

The day they make a compact one like the Glock 26 my EDC, this will be the guns I shall carry. Now I am not giving up my Glock's but if this guns work like the Glock does it is pretty close to it.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned

I also heard the gun takes the P99 mags which should not be too difficult to find.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

BTW I have a friend that has a P99 that is his favorite gun he also was in two gun fights with some criminals in his life and killed them all he is like a brother to me and he loves his P99 which I am sure he will love the PPQ.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM

I want one sooo bad but can justify adding yet another 9 to the other dozen or so 9s that i have.

It will take the 99 mags but only the last gen so youll have to know when the mag was made. They do take the dessert eagle fast action pistol mags. DE bought the rights to make the P99 and they are the latest gen P99 mags. Although some people have reported occasional problems running them in PPQs.

Heise also makes iwb holsters and i believe crossbreed does too.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Ironfilex is right, only the current Walther P99 mags will function properly in the PPQ. Some of the older ones will not.

I have been looking at the PPQ since it first came out. Only reason I haven't bought one is that I am so happy with my Walther P99 QA (and P99c and PPS) I can't see replacing it with this one. My favorite brands of firearms are Colt and Walther. I'm sure I'll have one in the future.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM

I almost checked one out the other day when I was visiting the LGS. I've heard ONLY good things about the PPQ. I'll check it out next time.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 AM

PPQ 9m/m

I went on the Walther forum before I bought my first PPQ,it was a great help.I now own two,both in 9m/m.I am absolutely in love with this pistol.I have two DeSantos holsters,one thumb break lined and one speed scabbard,both black and I am very happy with both.Best trigger I have ever shot.Terrific pistol.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

Thanks guys, I did a little research yesterday and found out that both Meprolight and Trijicon make night sights for this gun which is the same sights that fit the Walther P99.

I also found out that Magnum research that makes the baby Desert Eagle has mags that fit this gun and they go for $30.00 each which I shall order both things on Tuesday.

I also understand that Blade Tech makes a holster for this gun but does not list it I shall call them also and if they don't then Raven makes a very good holster also in Kydex which is the material I prefer.

As I said if Walther makes a compact the size of the Glock 26 I will switch my EDC to the Walther from the Glock.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:13 PM

Itsak,

I have 2 of the PPQs, one in 40 S&W and the other in 9x19. I agree they are great guns. Soft shooting, accurate, no better trigger in the plastic gun market, and near perfect ergonomics. No gun easier for controlled doubles than a PPQ.

As to holsters, I found that the Serpa holster for my USP 40, made by Blackhawk is a near perfect fit. 1/2 turn on the tension adjustment and the gun is in there. It rocks a little front to rear but the gun is secure and easy to draw.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM

I'm a fan of the PPQ, it's like an improved P99 to me, and I liked it a lot. Put a HiViz front sight on mine, now just waiting on a Bladetech holster so I can try it out in IDPA. It would be great if Walther came out with a 5" competition model with a steel adjustable rear sight. And here is the obligatory pic.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hberttmank View Post
I'm a fan of the PPQ, it's like an improved P99 to me, and I liked it a lot. Put a HiViz front sight on mine, now just waiting on a Bladetech holster so I can try it out in IDPA. It would be great if Walther came out with a 5" competition model with a steel adjustable rear sight. And here is the obligatory pic.

Thanks for posting the picture, I don't know how to do that in this forum yet.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

More shooting results.

I just put 200 more rounds through the gun 100 WW Ranger 147 JHP (RA9T) and 100 more Speer Lawman 115 FMJ. The gun is a dream to shoot.

I have a Milt Sparks Executive special IWB holster from an old Sig 229 and it fit the Walther to perfection so all my shooting was drawing from the holster and rapid fire and as expected the gun was great.

I also ordered the Eclipse holster from Blade Tech but it will take 5 weeks to get done and also ordered a spare mag from Magnum Research at a cost of $31.50 plus shipping when S&W/Walther was asking $60.00.

Any way I am very happy with the gun to a point that I am going to make it my EDC.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 PM

My first NIB handgun was the original S&W SW99 in .45 acp with the Walther logo. I've regretted trading that gun off a million times. My only complaint was it was a booger sometimes to field strip.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryUgly View Post
My first NIB handgun was the original S&W SW99 in .45 acp with the Walther logo. I've regretted trading that gun off a million times. My only complaint was it was a booger sometimes to field strip.
This one field strips as easy as the Glock.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 PM

Nice! I love Walther pistols. My nest pistol purchase will be the Walther PPS in .40.
I currently own the Walther P22 and its a great gun.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

I just placed an order for Mepro Light Night Sights (my favorits) at $78.00 including shipping this are the best priced NS I have ever bought.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 PM

I gave in as well. As far as holsters here is one I had made by our own Steven Kelley from Kelley Gun Leather.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM

I agree, the PPQ was hard to resist. It feels great in the hand, and has proven reliable after 800 rounds so far, no "break in" required (as opposed to my NIB Walther PPK which took about 200 rounds to break in, flawless now).
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. -Proverbs 21:31
Old 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM

the ppq is a great gun, iv had mine for a few months. Good luck finding spare mags though right now. Even the magnum research and pro mags are hard to find! But the gun itself is wonderful. Iv owned glocks and xdms, this trumps em all. Crossbreed also makes a holster for this that works great! i had recently moved to GA and the heat here is horriblr, so i am looking hard between the pps and a j frame smith to use on the hot days i dont want to wear 2 shirts....but for the most part its not an issue. Pick one up, youll love it!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned

Hi guys Sorry I was away for a while, I did get the Meprolight sights ($78.00 including shipping) and also got Jim the gunsmith at West Coast Armory to Cerakote the slide of the PPQ in tungsten metalic gray and put the sights on and put another 200 rounds for almost 800 rounds now since I bought it and again flawless operation and an exceptional trigger.

I also got Blade Tech to build me an Eclipse Holster (OWB) for the gun which they did for me in less then ten days (check the holster in their web site).

Magnum Resarch sent me a spare mag in five days, which I paid only $31.50for it plus shipping, the only problem with this mag is that it will not fall free after it has been shot empty so it is relinquished to back up mag duty forever.

I like this gun so much that it has replaced my Glocks at least for now untill it does something unacceptable (if it does) the more I shoot it because I want a gun that can shoot thousands of rounds and not only 800 rounds so the gun has to prove it self but for now it has become my EDC.

BTW I like that holster from Kelly I shall contact him and might order one if the price is right.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned

BTW my carry ammo in the gun which feels like shooting nothing is WW Ranger 124+P JHP's. An ammo that shoots even milder and has almost no recoil is the WW Ranger 147 (RA9T) JHP's.