1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Caspian Arms

Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Caspian model help

I am still in the newbie stage. I am dealing with a fellow that sounds like he may have 1 or 2 Caspian models for sale?! Can someone explain what he may have when he says Caspian Denver or Steel Rain Damascus?! Thanks, Tom
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM

I haven't heard of Denver, unless he is talking about Colorado.

Search Damascus on this forum and you will find plenty of info.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM

caspian does not sell complete guns and has no models. they sell separate frames, slides and many of the smaller parts, but will not assemble a complete gun for you. they will fit some parts but that is as close as they come to a gun. again, they do not have complete guns and if this is what someone is trying to sell you, he is either uninformed or lying.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkerson View Post
caspian does not sell complete guns and has no models. they sell separate frames, slides and many of the smaller parts, but will not assemble a complete gun for you. they will fit some parts but that is as close as they come to a gun. again, they do not have complete guns and if this is what someone is trying to sell you, he is either uninformed or lying.
This.

Caspian sells components. They don't sell guns (except insofar as the frame is legally the gun to the ATF) and don't have "models."
Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2961146 View Post
I am still in the newbie stage. I am dealing with a fellow that sounds like he may have 1 or 2 Caspian models for sale?! Can someone explain what he may have when he says Caspian Denver or Steel Rain Damascus?! Thanks, Tom
Is he throwing in a bridge to sweeten the deal? There are no Caspian "models".
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Try to find out "who built the pistols" and see if he has a build sheet on them...that will tell you a lot...as far as value, that would depend on what info he has on them...I own several Custom Caspians built by good people and most of them will out shoot my Baer's (sorry Baer people)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:32 PM

This is a good thread. I was in a store today and saw a "Caspian" compact. It was a 3 inch kind of a light olive color. Not long ago I looked into the idea of building a 1911 and Caspian came up. I noticed it was all parts and not complete pistols.

Saw this today and was wondering about it. It felt heavier than my compact kimber so ill assume it had a steel frame? It seemed like a stout and well made pistol bit as the thread indicates they don't make complete pistols.

$1500 tag and it had quite a bit of grease on it. The thumb safety was extremely stiff. So curious who put it together. Paint seemed odd..... over spray on the guide rod and barrel. It was a hole in the wall shop but they had alot of stuff. I don't think they were trying to sell it as a factory built pistol but it is one of those places I get the impression I know more than the owners. And I don't know much.

All in all wonder if it'll make someone happy one day.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:10 PM

Any bubbasmith can order parts from Caspian and put them together, but there is no Caspian "model"..

Unless he can prove it was put together by a competent and qualified smith, I'd run away with your money before he does.
-Alchemy Custom Target-
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Well, let's start with Steel Rain

"Steel Rain" is a name sometimes used for a pattern of damascus steel.

Artistic manipulation of the layers of steel, and how they are pressed together, can make some fantastic patterns in the finished product. A welder here in town has a son who makes raw damascus steel for Case knife company. He is a true artist in every respect. You see that clearly when you see the press and the care he takes, and look at the knives made from his steel. Anyway, different patterns result and people have different names for them.

Caspian is the only one who machines 1911 slides from damascus stock. When finished, the damascus pattern appears. Some are artful. Some are kinda weird. A damascus pistol is an 'eye of the beholder' thing. In this case, it would appear that a gun is made with Caspian damascus (frame or slide or both) and they are calling it a Steel Rain pattern.

So now I would wonder if "Denver Damascus" is a name for a different pattern of damascus steel. Could be. Maybe or maybe not.

As stated above, anyone can buy Caspian products. To see if you're looking at a good one, best to discover its pedigree. Can't tell that by looking in a display case. Or using fancy names like Denver or Rain.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 PM

Like stated before Caspian has no models and the best advice I could give you is to order your own personal frame and/or slide straight from Caspian this way you know your getting the real deal. You put a small percent of the total on hold for them to start the work and don't pay the total cost until the work is complete. A big plus is if you get them to hand fit your slide to the frame they'll tungsten coat your rails as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM

I thought that Caspian built at least one model of a 1911. It was a Viet Nam Commemrative & there were like a 1000 manufactured in the late 1980's.

Last edited by tjh1948; 06-26-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 PM

Yes sir you are correct and I must admit I was wrong, I did absolutely forget about that model. It was built from 1986-93 if I am not mistaken, but at the current time there is no complete guns sold from Caspian. (Unless you happen to run across a commemrative Nam edition)
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 AM

I seriously doubt the Purple Haze or Acid Rain models the OP was offered have anything to do with the Vietnam Commemorative model they made 20 years ago..so, yea..

I just noticed this thread is a month old and the OP never bothered to reply to his own post..hope he didn't take the seller up on his offer for uber elite kustomized super rare tactical Caspian "models" with the ridiculous names.
-Alchemy Custom Target-

Last edited by MidwestRookie; 06-27-2012 at 02:37 AM.