1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM

GI guide rod in 108282?

I have a S&W SW1911 5" .45 ACP (108282), and I want to change the FLGR to a GI setup. I've ordered the Ed Brown plug and GI guide rod; before I go ahead, I would like to know if anyone else has made this change, and if so, how did it work for you? Did you also replace the recoil spring?

I've had no issues with the FLGR...I just prefer the GI guide rod for field strip.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 PM

I went ahead and put in the GI guide rod. It went in nice and easy...and the slide racks easily. I haven't had a chance to go fire it yet.

On a completely unrelated note, the recoil spring is very stout on these models, and if you let the plug get away from you, you will have a circular indention in your ceiling.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
I went ahead and put in the GI guide rod. It went in nice and easy...and the slide racks easily. I haven't had a chance to go fire it yet.

On a completely unrelated note, the recoil spring is very stout on these models, and if you let the plug get away from you, you will have a circular indention in your ceiling.
Or on your forehead. My "E" had the FLGR and I swapped it out with a GI length Brown rod and a 10-8 plug. No problems as yet. On that "unrelated" note, The spring is a load. Wear goggles!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:49 PM

I always install the GI guide rod setup in any 1911 that I own. Not a fan of the FLGR.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Glad it worked out for you. I'm doing the same, can't stand the look of the open end spring retainer.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM

I swapped out the FLGR setup with an Ed Brown plug and guide rod almost immediately when I first got my 108284. I just prefer the traditional setup over FLGRs.

One thing I've found though, the Ed Brown guide rod is slightly oversized and rubbed a little bit during operation. It was not enough to cause a problem, however slide operation was just not as smooth as with the factory FLGR. You could actually hear and feel it. Swapping out the Ed Brown guide rod with a Colt one solved the problem.

My 108284 has been running with the Brown plug and Colt guide rod ever since.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Ditched the factory FLGR and spring retainer for a Wilson GI rod and Ed Brown retainer. She looks 100 times better now. Haven't made it to the range yet but she cycles just fine on the bench.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM

I did the same with a Baer guide and 10-8 cap. I had to fit the cap just a bit because it was over long ti depress enough from the bushing to pass over. Since then I put those in my Springfield TRPand now have an Ed Brown guide anf Wilson Bulletproof cap in the SW.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
One thing I've found though, the Ed Brown guide rod is slightly oversized and rubbed a little bit during operation. It was not enough to cause a problem, however slide operation was just not as smooth as with the factory FLGR. You could actually hear and feel it. Swapping out the Ed Brown guide rod with a Colt one solved the problem.
Hmmm...I have an Ed Brown GI guide rod in my SW1911 "e" and I haven't noticed it rubbing or any other problems. In fact, I have used Ed Brown parts for all my 1911s, and so far haven't had any issues.

I guess it just goes to show that can all be a little different!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM

I am going to change over to a standard setup. In the meantime I installed a Wolff 16 lb recoil spring and 19 lb mainspring. I can now rack the slide without first cocking the hammer. No issues with light primer strikes so far.