1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington

Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Free play on R1

I want to start a thread of pictures of the rear end of the R1 to compare the amount of free play.

Here's mine, the space between the frame and slide is about 1 mm.
Attached Thumbnails
rearend.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 PM

1 millimeter is .040 and no way you have that kind of clearance.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM

yeah but there isnt any free play on your frame what holds the slide
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljutic View Post
1 millimeter is .040 and no way you have that kind of clearance.
I'm talking about the gap between the frame and slide on each side of the trigger. Yes, it is 1mm.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 PM

this picture will explain what im talking about
Attached Thumbnails
lol.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Do you have a lot of wiggle in the slide? A little side to side is no big deal as long as the bushing is fit well If so the sights will follow any side to side movement. Up and down movement of the barrel hood and barrel lockup, and bushing fit would be my point of angst if not tight.

The bigger question is how does she shoot? I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about any of it if she shoots well.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmVinnie View Post
this picture will explain what im talking about
Thanks FirmVinnie. I understand what your talking about. What confuses me is all the R1's I have seen don't have the gaps I originally talked about. Typically they are quite tight with no or little space.

So what your saying is as long as the gap between the rails is tight you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
Do you have a lot of wiggle in the slide? A little side to side is no big deal as long as the bushing is fit well If so the sights will follow any side to side movement. Up and down movement of the barrel hood and barrel lockup, and bushing fit would be my point of angst if not tight.

The bigger question is how does she shoot? I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about any of it if she shoots well.
BadaBing with the trigger cocked the gun has some rattle when shaken. As far as accuracy goes it shoots where you aim it. The barrel bushing is quite tight.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3drang3r View Post
Thanks FirmVinnie. I understand what your talking about. What confuses me is all the R1's I have seen don't have the gaps I originally talked about. Typically they are quite tight with no or little space.

So what your saying is as long as the gap between the rails is tight you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Yes if the rails are tight together i wouldnt worry about it i think mine has the same i take a pic in a bit
Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Best pic i got of my rear end lol
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Yes if the rails are tight together i wouldnt worry about it i think mine has the same i take a pic in a bit
Yours does not have the gap that mine does. It's definitely less. Thanks for the picture. I see your extractor is recessed. Mine is the same way.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM

I think it has to have the space for the trigger mechanism that engages the hammer
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yours does not have the gap that mine does. It's definitely less. Thanks for the picture. I see your extractor is recessed. Mine is the same way.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:28 PM

Go buy a set of snap caps or other brand of "dummy" training ammunition. Feed two rounds of this "dummy" ammo into magazine , insert mag and rack the slide. NOW with a dummy round chambered and the magazine still inserted, measure your free play. This is the correct way as barrel to slide tightens up quite a bit with a round in the chamber. As the other poster said all that really matters is slide to barrel fit, the sight's follow the slide, the slide follows the barrel. Good luck and enjoy that Remmington!!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM

forgot to mention, by measure I meant see how much you can wiggle the slide with your free hand. I bet you it is very little play
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Nice Site Picture FirmVinnie, Did you replace originals? or did you paint the originals? Either way they look great!!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecal_1953 View Post
forgot to mention, by measure I meant see how much you can wiggle the slide with your free hand. I bet you it is very little play
Thanks Mikecal, I'll give it a try.

Interesting note. My Colt which visually has practically no open gaps like mine rattles the same as the Remington. I think I am just going to shoot it and enjoy the gun and stop the worrying.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecal_1953 View Post
Nice Site Picture FirmVinnie, Did you replace originals? or did you paint the originals? Either way they look great!!
Painted the originals
Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3drang3r View Post
Thanks Mikecal, I'll give it a try.

Interesting note. My Colt which visually has practically no open gaps like mine rattles the same as the Remington. I think I am just going to shoot it and enjoy the gun and stop the worrying.
My guess is that when you put a full mag in and chamber a round, it is much tighter. I have seen Ed Browns that rattle a little when empty. It doesnt have to be tight to be right. Like I said before, barrel lockup minimal vertical movement and bushing fit are the critical attributes for accuracy.

Shoot that pup.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
My guess is that when you put a full mag in and chamber a round, it is much tighter. I have seen Ed Browns that rattle a little when empty. It doesnt have to be tight to be right. Like I said before, barrel lockup minimal vertical movement and bushing fit are the critical attributes for accuracy.

Shoot that pup.
Thanks Jeff for your assistance.

Dave