1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Simply Rugged Cuda arrived / review

Ordered the Cuda from Simply Rugged about 3 weeks ago and to say I've been pretty excited is definitely an understatement! When I saw the review of the Scorpion Carry on GunBlast.com I had to have one! I got the email yesterday afternoon (Friday) that the holster had shipped, and today (Saturday) it arrived. That was fast! Here are some pictures!

As you can see by picture #3 I ordered some belt loops to go along with it for IWB. Although once I put this holster on OWB I realized that it conceals very well, but I guess they can come in handy so i'm glad I ordered them

The holster is made with the original tan leather, I got the extra basket weave design and also the shark skin on the upper half of the holster. I really like how it turned out and the attention to detail is far superior than most other holsters that I have seen.

My only knock on this holster is that it was very, very, very tight when I first got it (still is). I know most leather holsters do need to be broken in for a bit once you buy them, but I've honestly never had a holster that I had to push and shove and jam just to squeeze my gun in. I did finally get my Scorpion in there and I think i'm just going to leave it for a few days to break it in and hopefully it will "fit like a glove" after that.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Are there any other Cuda owners out there that can comment on my above issue with the holster seeming to small? Did you have to do the same thing with your pistol?

I'd say overall i'd give this holster a 9/10.. I really like it and I hope it turns out alright with the leather forming to the pistol so it can slide in and out like a glove and if need be, I can draw quickly.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM

Nice.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 PM

Wrap ONE(a couple overlapping spots is ok but don't overdo it) layer of saran wrap around your gun, and coat it in Johnson's Pastewax(available at your local hardware store, as it's usually used to polish wood and the like), and let it set for a few days till it dries. You might be picking chunks of wax off your gun but it won't hurt the finish and the holster will have a more appropriate draw.

I have a Cuda for my Browning Hi-Power and one for my G26. The G26 is a little crude, but still effective, and the hi-power holster is probably my favorite of all my rigs!

I also carry it almost exclusively OWB, with a Beltman belt. I also have a simply rugged belt, and while it's fine for most guns, I wouldn't trust it with a really heavy piece like I would my Beltman belt. The single layer belt, thick or not, has too much flex for my taste.

I've had 3 Simply Rugged holsters, one regrettably went with my LCR when I sold it a few months ago, thinking I was going to buy a big boy revo, but alas, I bought a house instead, but such is life....all 3 have been excellent rigs, and I will continue to sing praises for the folks there! Put the IWB straps in the holster box and forget them! You won't need em! I use mine time to time just because they're there!

Ya done good! Beauty of a holster!!! I plan to buy my wife a tooled rig for her sp101 soon!

That one was taken from Rob's Facebook page

http://www.concealedcampus.org/

Last edited by jakeg823; 05-27-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Well I wasn't expecting this. Simply Rugged has always been known for un-beautiful but very functional and tough holsters. But these look good! Thanks for the eye-opener!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 AM

So when you first got yours was it really really tight and hard to fit your pistol in to the holster?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalveri View Post
So when you first got yours was it really really tight and hard to fit your pistol in to the holster?
Yes, but better too tight than too loose. You can loosen it up(dead serious about the method I recommended above), but tightening it up is much more complicated.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 AM

OK. I guess i'll just leave my gun in the holster for a few days and then see if that helps before I try anything else
Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 AM

+1 on trying it with the the gun by itself first. If it is still tight try a plastic bag.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Yessir! I really, really like this custom holster that he made for me.. The attention to detail and quality is just outstanding.. So I hope it works out. I'm probably just worrying about nothing.. I've just never had a leather holster that was THIS tight when I first got it.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Wrapping the gun in two layers of wax paper with the waxed side out and then leaving the gun in the holster over night will help. You can wiggle and twist the gun gently while it is in the holster to help the process.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 PM

Did you specify that it's for a SIG? If not then that will be the problem because they're shaped a bit different than a normal 1911. Just a thought though.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 AM

I have to of their holsters and they were both tight. I didn't do anything and there fine now.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM

So I fixed the problem by wrapping my Scorpion in a Target grocery bag really tight and stuffing it in the holster. Left it there for about 24 hours and this morning when I took it out and checked if the 1911 fit, it fit like a glove with perfect retention. YEEE!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 AM

I love Robs products- they really do live up to the name "Simply Rugged".
Alas I dont have one for any of my autos but I have been eyeballing the Cuda for quite some time for my 1911s.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 AM

I have a Cuda for my XD45's and I love it. I don't remember if I had to do the bag trick on mine or not but most of my holsters I did.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:03 AM

Yeah, it's still a bit stiff and tight and is very hard to practice my draw in because it's still so tight, I have to place my left hand over the holster and hold it down while I pull my Sig out with a bit of force.. I guess it still has quite a bit of "breaking in" to do.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalveri View Post
Yeah, it's still a bit stiff and tight and is very hard to practice my draw in because it's still so tight, I have to place my left hand over the holster and hold it down while I pull my Sig out with a bit of force.. I guess it still has quite a bit of "breaking in" to do.
I'm still curious if you told him it was for a sig? It's possible, if you did tell him, that he's not even aware that the dimensions are slightly different, but he's been at it so long now I doubt it.

It's something that does just take some time though in some cases. It'll be worth it in the end.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:44 PM

Yea rob awesome dude to work with.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM

It's fitting a lot better now, although still a bit tight.. I think I just need to give it a bit more time. It's already so much more loose than when I received it. Yes I did tell him the exact make and model but who knows maybe he just figured "1911" and used a similar sized mold and doesn't know that the Sig 1911's are made differently from traditional Colt 1911 clones. It still fits like I said but I think it just needs a little more work than most holsters. It was unusually tight and squeaky when I got it, but it's a lot better now
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM

As some one pointed out. Sig slides are different.

There are two aspect to this, slide shape and rail dimension. First, sig has a traditional slide and normal slide. BUT, also, their rail is little bit wider than some other rails. I think I heard that the edges of thier rails are bit sharper too....

Anyway, just what I remember from reading some internet postings. Not first hand info, but I was looking in to buying a sig 1911. So, I was readings stuff about them and thought you may find it helpful.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Rob is great quality craftsmanship!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 PM

I happy with the Cuda I got for an SR9c and it was also tight at first but broke in perfectly. It looks a little stiff in the pics but the holster and belt were new.

Last edited by doghawg; 06-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Too bad my Scorpion that I had my Cuda specifically made for was stolen from my apartment while I was gone a couple weeks ago and now I have no gun for my Cuda. *sigh*.... Time to save up for a new Scorpion