1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 PM

PT1911 inbound...

I'm new to the 1911 world. but not new to Taurus. I have a PT92 and a PT709 Slim. Love them both. I've purchased my first 1911, a PT1911 SS AR. Beautiful gun in my opinion.

It will be here in a few days. I'll post some pix when I get it. I plan to learn as much as I can on care and feeding from this site.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM

enjoy...looking forward to your report...

Bill
Old 05-28-2012, 03:22 PM

PT-1911 1st Range Report (long post)

Took it to the range yesterday. Only had half an hour before closing time, so I had to shoot fast. Ran 50 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Remington UMC both, 230 gr. FMJ, using the standard Taurus mags and two 8 rd. MecGar mags.

Fit and finish is not perfect, but it doesn't have to be. Its still a thing of beauty.

Being my first experience with the 1911 platform, I had a little difficulty at first with the grip safety. The gun simply will not fire without a solid grip on it. I had an FTF and an FTE. Not bad for 100 rounds on a new gun. My accuracy at 7 yards was pretty good. I'll stretch it out next time. I put numerous rounds through the X and 9 rings, managed to shoot through a couple of existing holes and had a few flyers. I'll try to post a target pic after my next range session.

I think I can do better with more practice cause it's definitely not the gun. I'll parrot that its "more accurate than I am." Its 42 oz. makes recoil totally manageable and extremely fun to shoot. I have a IWB holster for it. I plan to carry it once I break it and run some good SD JHP ammo through it.

The MecGars had plastic followers with a metal insert and are easier to load than the factory mags. Both fed the 1911 reliably. The grips leave much to be desired. I like the Hogue/Pachmahr wraparounds and will probably purchase one or the other. For now, I have some rubber Hogue grips that I'll use for for the duration of the break in, at least.

The serial number doesn't show up on the Taurus lookup. The same thing happened with my 709 until recently, when it showed that it's a 2012 build. I think the 1911 is a 2012 build as well, so hopefully all the factory defects and kinks are worked out.

I'm considering selling off my Beretta 90-Two with aftermarket adjustable target sight to get another PT 1911. Maybe an aluminum 9mm or 38 Super this time. We'll see.

I thought I might like it polished to a high shine. At first look, I think I'll leave it like it is. It's about durability, most likely.

Easy to see why the design is over 100 years old and just as popular as ever. Yeah, I'm hooked. For a $600 gun, Taurus done real good, IMHO and I might just get another one.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 AM

if you find an aluminum in Super .38 or 9mm...tell us where (I'm sure many more would buy one)...I've never seen one...thanks for the report...enjoy!

Bill
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 PM

Good looking piece pistolero. Hope she serves you well.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Nice
Old 06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

Great you got something you like. With proper care you should continue to derive much pleasure from your first 1911. Just be careful on your aftermarket grips making contact with the right retaining leg of the ambi safety. Unless things have changed, Taurus, Rasco and custom makers are the only grips that provide enough pre-clearance for that portion of the Taurus ambi safety. Other grips need modification to prevent stress on the tongue and groove joint of the ambi. This is true of even grips with normal ambi clearance as the Taurus leg has more meat on it.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 AM

No one can own just one...

I traded my Beretta 90-Two for this little number. It's a 2010 model. It also came with this.

http://www.techwearusa.com/product_details.asp?id=47
Looks like a smart, non-invasive way to get a beveled mag well.

The gun's finish is in great shape. Although I have a kydex holster, I have a leather one on order to keep the finish looking good.