1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 AM

This might be a stupid question.. But here goes nothin' any help appreciated...

So I want to customize my stainless Kimber Ultra Carry II.. First on my list I would like to change the coloring if at all possible to a deep blued and highly polished almost like a mirror on the slide. Second I would like to get a steel frame instead of the stock aluminum. Can someone help me with how I can go about doing this? I live in Arizona. Not sure if there is somewhere locally I can take it, or if there is a high end custom place somewhere in the US that I can send it off to. Any help would be appreciated..
Old 05-27-2012, 07:32 AM

I would start with new pistol verses discarding alum frame and trying to get a deep blue finish out of a SS slide ( assuming i understood your post ). IMHO
Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

This from another site but this guy has a great rep for refinishing. Hope this helps. Good luck!
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7520099682
Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Use the Kimber to fund a new gun to your liking.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM

Use the Kimber to fund a new gun to your liking.

+1
Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM

I was thinking about that... But the only custom 1911 I've ever seen with a deep / highly polished blued finish like what i'm talking about the guy custom made it. I've never actually seen one like it on the market.. Maybe i'm missing something though :/
Old 05-27-2012, 01:24 PM

I'm no expert, but it just seems to me that it would be better to start with a gun with a blued finish, and a steel frame, than to do all that you are proposing to your current pistol. Surely someone can polish or further refine an existing blue finish to your satisfaction. That seems to me to be the easiest and least expensive route to what you want.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM

You cannot blue stainless steel to the finish you want. It can be blued but not to the deep dark color you describe. Start with a different pistol or buy a stainless frame and a carbon steel slide and build what you want. The lightweight Kimber should bring good $$ in a sale.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenL4 View Post
You cannot blue stainless steel to the finish you want. It can be blued but not to the deep dark color you describe.
What about melonited SS? Isn't that deep black?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 AM

Yes, but its black and looks like any other coating. You can't the polished blued look out of a can. The changes the OP wants to make require a new pistol any way you cut it, because of the need for a frame of different material. It would make the most sense to sell the one you want to change and buy the one you want. However, a factor to consider is if the pistol you now have functions properly, and if you like it. If so, you would be better served to save up for a new pistol and keep both. Only sell guns that you don't like/don't want for whatever reason - they do come back to haunt you otherwise.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Sounds like a good reason to get another 1911, if you carry a hi polished blued 1911 it will not be hi polished for long it will be scratched and dull looking , so carry the lightweight and buy another non stainless Kimber and have Kimber polish it and blue it
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM

IonBond...
Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM

It sounds like what you want is the Colt royal blue finish. But like what was said above, you cannot blue stainless or aluminum.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM

One of the best mirror polish blues you will see is the Royal Blue by Colt. It is what was used on old pythons and some of their anniversary guns.

If your slide is not SS , Luke Volkmann does a fabulous mirror polish blue.

Personally, if you want all polished blue, I'd sell the Kimber and put it towards what you want, even if you traded on a new Kimber, you could have a carbon steel one blued the way you wanted. Since you will probably refinish it anyway, maybe a used gun that functions great would be a great trade .

Best of luck

Jeff