1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s

Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 PM

Best definitive reference for Model 1911?

Hi guys; indulge the newb if you will...

I'm wanting to know what the best reference guide is, for the Model 1911. Preferably one that isn't about commercial hardware, just the Gov't model please. Cost isn't really a concern - I'm sure it would be pricey...

... and not particularly a pricing guide - just one that covers contractors, dates, production totals, and info of the like.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 PM

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=268409

.....just joking!!!

look here:
http://coolgunsite.com/ccorderform.htm

Last edited by iShoot; 05-26-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 PM

If you are looking for a technical (pieces parts) guide, I prefer the Kuhnhausen "The Colt .45 Automatic". The will run from $35 to $50 for soft copy. There are a few places you can get soft copy versions, but BE CAREFUL! One of the sites that is high on the Google list will install a virus on your system.
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married; TWICE!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 AM

Thank you SirS...

... and thanks for the malware warning! Not to fear however; I do Linux. Microsoft / IE is a virus magnet; Linux is like being invisible - and this is a VERY good analogy, in my humble opinion...

Not to hijack the thread however; I want to build a correct 45, under a near-perfect RR slide that I just got my hands on:
(and I don't know ANYthing about this hardware model (1911) )

Bigger pic here, if anyone has comments [ (+) or (-) comments welcome].

http://i45.tinypic.com/p812s.jpg

Last edited by ACampComLegacy; 05-27-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 AM

It's not perfect with those sights!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 AM

YIKES!

The Clawson paper IS heavyweight:
Quote:
Price: $800.00
Shipping: $30.00
Payment options: Visa MasterCard Check Money Order
Return policy: 3 Days
Anyone know if a digital download is available anywhere?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShoot View Post
It's not perfect with those sights!
I'm guessing there Sir, that both can be changed to the correct sights? Those ARE kind of ugly...

I was referring for the most part, to the Park finish being pretty good.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a frame for it. Spare USGI frames almost never show up. You might however be able to find a mixmaster for reasonable cost, i.e. a Remington Rand frame with another contractor's slide. However you also want to make sure that the slide you have hasn't been permanently altered by the addition of those huge sights. I'm mostly concerned about what was done to get that big front blade to fit on there. Also, the slide might have been filed flat underneath the rear sight. If so, then no project is going to be financially feasible, although you could always get a cheap Essex or Caspian frame and make a GI lookalike just for shooting.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Your biggest problem is going to be finding a frame for it. Spare USGI frames almost never show up. You might however be able to find a mixmaster for reasonable cost, i.e. a Remington Rand frame with another contractor's slide. However you also want to make sure that the slide you have hasn't been permanently altered by the addition of those huge sights. I'm mostly concerned about what was done to get that big front blade to fit on there. Also, the slide might have been filed flat underneath the rear sight. If so, then no project is going to be financially feasible, although you could always get a cheap Essex or Caspian frame and make a GI lookalike just for shooting.
And thanks to you dsk. (sorry about posting on the wrong part of the boards here)...

A correct RR is desirable, however a mixer is acceptable, so long as parts are in top condition, or near-top condition.

So anyway here, I just took Kuhnhausen's book off of eBay for $41 plus change free ship.

Thanks there Pat-inCO for the JK tip. More are welcome...
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Kuhnhausen's books are invaluable for knowing how a 1911 ticks, if you're looking to build/troubleshoot them. But for correctly identifying USGI pistols and components Clawson's guides are the best, although as you may have noticed they're now out of print and very expensive. A less expensive, in-print option is Joe Poyer's book, which is reasonably accurate and good for most beginning collectors. See the Available Reference Material thread in this section for more info.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampComLegacy View Post
I'm wanting to know what the best reference guide is, for the Model 1911. Preferably one that isn't about commercial hardware, just the Gov't model please.
You need to be aware that a Model of 1911 is a military model..... not a Government Model.... which of course IS a commercial built Colt.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampComLegacy View Post
YIKES!

The Clawson paper IS heavyweight:

Anyone know if a digital download is available anywhere?
nope

check my 2nd link
Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcanuck View Post
You need to be aware that a Model of 1911 is a military model..... not a Government Model.... which of course IS a commercial built Colt.
I did not know that - thanks. So even the title of my thread is 'wrong'...

Another reason to get books first (and get on the boards too)