1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 AM

Interesting interview, shot with his own gun

I know this is from '08, but..... after watching the interview, I have to wonder if he would have been better off unarmed. Some people assume too much about their ability to use deadly force.

He came home and found someone robbing his home. He chose to confront the BG with a gun and hesitated. He lost control during a struggle and was shot.

Lesson learned: Owning a gun does not give you super-human powers nor render your clothing bullet-proof. If you are not prepared to shoot, leave and call for help, and take your gun with you.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=11b_1210344827
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-shooter View Post
Lesson learned: Owning a gun does not give you super-human powers nor render your clothing bullet-proof. If you are not prepared to shoot, leave and call for help, and take your gun with you.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=11b_1210344827
He who hesitates is lost.

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Man that kid went through the ringer... I feel bad for the guy... Sucks that he hesitated to pull the trigger otherwise it would probably have been a different outcome for the guy
Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM

I feel bad for this kid.

My wife works with his ex-girl freind. Chad is now dead. He contracted a merca infection from a hospital from a prior surgery. Kept re-occruing, eventually it killed him a year or 2 later.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 PM

When your number comes up..... Wow. He never had a chance.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Hesitating to use deadly force

Most LE officers are often shot because they hesitate to use deadly force when required. The myth of hesitating to use deadly force is often propagated by Hollywood, where the LE officers (good guys) give ample time and opportunity for a bad guy to drop his weapon and surrender.

The reality is you need to be mentally prepared to be able to take decisive action when required, which means your life or the lives of others is in imminent danger. You must have confidence in your ability to shoot fast and accurately through ongoing training. He who hesitates is lost.....
Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Clint Smith, who has a knack for turning a clever--but also wise--phrase notes;

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, cause it's gonna be empty."

Rosco
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Average Moderator

I remember hearing Clint say that the 1st time I heard it.

I believe it was Cooper who first said that a gun is not a magic talisman to ward off evil.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
Most LE officers are often shot because they hesitate to use deadly force when required. ....
The reality is you need to be mentally prepared to be able to take decisive action when required,
Given that even LE have terrible first shot, training for the double tap is not a bad idea at all. As for hesitation.... Don't forget, the BG doesn't care about collateral damage. A cop needs to wonder who's on the other side of that sheet rock wall or in the passenger seat.

From the Police studies Policy Council: (PDF, give it a minute to load)

www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf

NYPD - some bad@ss guys.. hit average, 15% (page 4). Distances: 0-2 yards, hit average, 69%.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
Most LE officers are often shot because they hesitate to use deadly force when required. The myth of hesitating to use deadly force is often propagated by Hollywood, where the LE officers (good guys) give ample time and opportunity for a bad guy to drop his weapon and surrender.

The reality is you need to be mentally prepared to be able to take decisive action when required, which means your life or the lives of others is in imminent danger. You must have confidence in your ability to shoot fast and accurately through ongoing training. He who hesitates is lost.....

Shooting another person is not a natural act, and becomes even more difficult every time you point your pistol at someone "stop" or I'll say it again. Same as any bad technique your actions become ingrained. I understand the reasoning behind the policies, but it does get cops killed.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Like "Tuco" said in "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly", when it's time to shoot.....shoot!, don't talk". Tracy