1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Bullet stuck backwards in barrel

Hi all,

I was at the range with my Springfield TRP Operator today and I wound up getting a bullet stuck backwards in the barrel while trying to clear the weapon. I took the mag out and racked the slide, but my hand slipped and the bullet wound up stovepiped in the slide. I racked it again and expected the round to fall onto the table, but it was nowhere to be found. I pulled back the slide and found the bullet stuck inside.

I tried to carefully push the round out through the barrel, but it doesn't budge at all. I didn't want to push too hard since I'm working with the primer side.

Does anyone have any advice on how to safely remove the round? I can't remove the slide and barrel from the frame since the bullet restricts movement. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0393[1].jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM

That round stuck in the chamber should in no way prevent removing the slide and barrel. Just remove the slide stop and slide the whole top end off of the frame.

I would use a metal rod with a flat end that is just as large as will fit through the barrel. That way it cannot touch the primer. Or use a piece of tubing that does not come close to hitting the primer.

PS: Whats stuck is not a bullet, it is a complete cartridge.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 05-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Wow. I'd hate to be in your shoes on this one.
Anyway, I think I would use a wooden dowel just under bore diameter, 7/16" maybe. Drill a shallow hole in the center to insure not touching the primer. Cut the wooden dowel an inch or 2 longer than the barrel. Insert thru the muzzle and tap the bullet out. You may want to break the gun down and put the edge of the breach end on a block of wood. Probably just holding tightly would be best.
Be careful and watch where you point that bullet.
Good luck. I should come out.

Last edited by markbob45; 05-26-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

How about tapping the barrel at the muzzle with a mallet. The force could jog the round free.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
How about tapping the barrel at the muzzle with a mallet. The force could jog the round free.
Be careful if you try this. might work, might stick it in tighter.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Maybe soak the barrel and bullet in oil first to try and kill the round, and loosen it at the same time. I would then put the barrel in a vise, and remove with a long dowel rod, as to be a distance from if if it does discharge. Pointed in s safe direction goes without saying.....
"Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Helms writing in 1959 on compromise in politics.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 PM

Could always take a small quality drill bit, using your fingers, and spin it back and forth between them, drilling a small hole through the bullet, shaking out the powder, and leaving a hole for any pressure to escape if the primer goes off.

Granted some may think this is a bit nutty, but I'd rather be slow and careful taking time to do that first, instead of sweating it the whole time if its stuck in there good.

Last edited by Six; 05-26-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:18 PM

Gunsmith would charge like 40$$ it'd be worth it for me to not deal with it
Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I think I would use a wooden dowel just under bore diameter, 7/16" maybe. Drill a shallow hole in the center to insure not touching the primer. Cut the wooden dowel an inch or 2 longer than the barrel. Insert thru the muzzle and tap the bullet out.

^^^^^^

There's your answer folks, five minute fix, perfectly safe, do IT!

HARDWOOD dowel, of course.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
This would have to over ride the laws of physics if it would loosen the cartridge, sadly it would only tighten, and force the cartridge toward the blow. Not good.

LOG

Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
This would have to over ride the laws of physics if it would loosen the cartridge, sadly it would only tighten, and force the cartridge toward the blow. Not good.

LOG
Custom does work for sig so I have a feeling this isn't his first rodeo with a weird situation like this. His idea could work if done right.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
Custom does work for sig so I have a feeling this isn't his first rodeo with a weird situation like this. His idea could work if done right.
Tell me, if you inserted the cartridge in a barrel chamber correctly, (bullet facing the muzzle and smacked the muzzle.....which way would the bullet go? Towards the muzzle, or out the way it came in. C2 may have meant well, but spoke before considering the results. Has happened before.

LOG

Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Log, I must have skipped school that day when they covered backwards round removal from a pistol barrel.

That was meant to be a joke, not sarcastic.

It was just a suggestion that if it didn't work, the problem is no better or worse and can probably be solved by a wooden dowel as it will not indent the primer and cause ignition. Still, hollowing out the middle of the dowel is a great idea just to be safe.

Last edited by custom2; 05-26-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Sorry Log, I must have skipped school that day when they covered backwards round removal from a pistol barrel.

It was just a suggestion that if it didn't work, the problem is no better or worse.
Tighter is worse, and giving anecdotal guidance in regards to a live cartridge stuck in what is a dangerous position is negligent.

LOG

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 AM

The bullet is sticking out of the chamber enough. Disassemble the top end, wiggle the cartridge and she will come right out. The chamber is tapered and it will come free easily.
I had to stick a cartridge in a barrel backwards to come up with that answer.

Damndest thing I've seen in a while. I'm still giggling.

If it can't be disassembled, try wiggling it sideways through the ejection port. should come loose pretty easily. Its in no danger of firing that way.

Last edited by CWarner; 05-27-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:55 AM

Both log and C2 are correct. IMHO. If the sarcastic Mr. C2 had added that tapping the muzzle, whereas, the chamber ended up hitting wooden board at end of said tapping stroke. Then would not the sudden deccelleration ( ? spelling ) of barrel upon hitting said board at end of travel cause the object in question to move south ( or out the chamber ). Thus C2 should only edit above post to add "over a board ending the travel of barrel" . Try your physics against that one, Logger!

Last edited by Lordofbarbeque; 05-27-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Next Question. I have never heard of this happening before. But, I would think it would be nearly impossible due to the size of the case. Am I missing something because of my limited exposure to the 1911, or is this a rarity?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 AM

I'm with Log on this physics experiment. The .45 is stopped by the case mouth. Depending on the brass mfg tolerances it could end up chambered quite deeply.
Any impact to the muzzle will not wiggle the round loose. It will swage it deeper.
Joe
Old 05-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Just imagine a bullet puller. Substitute the barrel for the case in your minds eye....kinda re-explains what Log said in the first place.

Last edited by CWarner; 05-27-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:19 AM

I vote dowel with the center hole. In any event, I'd wear eye protection. If the round detonated, which it won't, it would be my guess that since the dowel would provide resistance, especially with the hammer mass still behind it, the bullet would pretty much drop to the ground, with a lot of noise. There's no restriction to build up pressure to make it "fly" at least not with much force. Think of a gun with a "0" inch barrel. The brass could still rupture and/or fragment. T'wer it to be me, which it ain't, I'd put the gun in a padded vice, put some leather gloves around the slide in front of the ejection port to keep any force directed toward the back of the gun, safety glasses on and whack it. But then, I'm the kinda guy that has whacked rattlesnakes with an axe handle.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM

The wooden dowel is the way to go. Or an aluminum one. I keep a length of 7/16 aluminum rod in my range bag as a squib remover. Wouldn't need to drill a hole in the center either. No way that would set off the primer.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbarbeque View Post
Both log and C2 are correct. IMHO. If the sarcastic Mr. C2 had added that tapping the muzzle, whereas, the chamber ended up hitting wooden board at end of said tapping stroke. Then would not the sudden deccelleration ( ? spelling ) of barrel upon hitting said board at end of travel would cause the object in question to move south ( or out the chamber ). Thus C2 should only edit above post to add "over a board ending the travel of barrel" . Try your physics against that one, Logger!
...over a board.

Wow, tough room.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Deleted

Last edited by rex; 05-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 AM

And here I thought I saw it all... in the way of malfunctions.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Ah,no hyper kids bouncimg around now.

I would have tried Chuck's fix first but as pictured,if you get any movement a little wiggling will will losen it.If that deosn't seem to be going anywhere grab over the slide and run your pinky though the triggerguard to hold the slide fully back ,and use your left hand to strengthen that hold,keeping clear of the port.Smack the back of the slide on a supported board or edge of the bench.

As long as the slide hasn't hammered it in since it stuck it isn't like it was pressed together so to say.This is so rare to happen it's funny,keep that picture.

A friend said another's gun blew and gave it to him to look at,and he asked me.Said the owner thought 2 rounds went off.He pulls out a 9 and the bullet was lacking about 1/16" of leaving the bore.The gun was a Jennings so I told him mount it on the wall as is for a reminder about junk.Surprizingly I found no damage to the gun,but I wouldn't remove the bullet so only a tart would try to shoot it in the future.