1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Administrator

CO college girl shot, charged after entering home

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-2679...-29473431.html

Just goes to show even intelligent young people can make some pretty stupid decisions sometimes.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 PM

Wow. What a bizzare chain of "one-bad-thing-leads-to-another" events.

The homeowners clearly did nothing wrong. In hindsight, I'm sure that they wished they'd locked that screen door, but even so, nothing in this episode was their fault. Had it been me in their shoes, I would probably have fired twice with a 45acp. And I'd be hurting inside (but still not blaming myself) for what would have happened.

As a footnote, I really resented the way the television reporter cited the State's homeowner self-defense laws as being the "make my day" law. This is an insult to firearms owners. I find that type of reporting to be reprehensible and irresponsible.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 PM

The moral of that story is don't get so drunk you cannot find your way home. She is responsible for her actions getting her shot.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum
As a footnote, I really resented the way the television reporter cited the State's homeowner self-defense laws as being the "make my day" law.
The first thing to remember is that the video is from GMA.
That implies that they have throughly added as much implication and innuendo as possible, with all of it leaning FAR left.

The item that I found most upsetting was that she was "allegedly" intoxicated.
The local reports said that she was right at two times the legally intoxicated level.

My first thought was WHAT WAS THE SCREEN DOING UNLOCKED?!

As far as the "make my day" law, that name was appended to the law as it was proposed, and has stuck for as long as there have been discussions about it. It keeps the liberals happy.
I would far rather have it improperly named and in force, than to not have it.
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married; TWICE!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

Just goes to show even intelligent young people can make some pretty stupid decisions sometimes.
If she had gotten into a car and killed someone in a car accident that she survived, what does everyone think she would be charged with?
I resented the comment " two bit trespass." My home is my sanctum. I suppose then a home invasion by hardened criminals is also a "two bit trespass?"
This guy must think I have to determine the motivation of someone illegally in my home? Ridiculous.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
The first thing to remember is that the video is from GMA.
That implies that they have throughly added as much implication and innuendo as possible, with all of it leaning FAR left.

The item that I found most upsetting was that she was "allegedly" intoxicated.
The local reports said that she was right at two times the legally intoxicated level.

My first thought was WHAT WAS THE SCREEN DOING UNLOCKED?!

As far as the "make my day" law, that name was appended to the law as it was proposed, and has stuck for as long as there have been discussions about it. It keeps the liberals happy.
I would far rather have it improperly named and in force, than to not have it.
What is GMA?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 AM

My screen doors are always unlocked. The entry doors are always locked. Surely this million dollar plus home has something other than a screen door to keep people from entering.

Yes the girl is at fault in this.

No, she was not smart. Many idiots went to college on their parents money and learned nothing but how to get a degree by pouring enough money into the school. A smart girl would not have been out at that time of night, three times the level of intoxication, walking around neighborhoods trying to get into backdoors of homes. She was up to no good.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Cannon View Post
What is GMA?
Good Morning America..
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 AM

WOW........

Glad I quit drinking!! ...lol
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 AM

The girl got drunk and got unlucky. She paid a heavy price for her stupidity. End of Story.

Dead Eye,
I agree with you on all points.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 AM

give her a break.........she's a blonde.

Last edited by zdragon52; 05-27-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

Yep, all the booksmarts in the world won't replace good old fashioned common sense.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Was she a threat, or just trespassing?

Shot only once in the hip?

I can see where that might raise some issues.

College kids > Rich people. When it comes to getting a message out.

I hope the college kids use it as a learning tool and now a law changing tool.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavCop View Post

Somebody comes into my home in the middle of the night unannounced and uninvited they are getting shot. Pretty college girls can shoot and be a threat as well. I am not going to be sitting in the dark of night asking a bunch of questions. Tough S--- for her. Now the couple is traumatized by the whole incident as well. Lets face it if she was fat and ugly it would not have made the news. Lets look at the flip side. What if they had not have shot and it was some serial killer. They would be dead now. The law is fine and the couple did the right thing under the circumstances. The girl should count herself lucky she is alive. She was in the wrong no getting around it and don't let the liberal media slant the story to make her look like a victim. The couple were the victims here not her.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Cannon View Post
The moral of that story is don't get so drunk you cannot find your way home. She is responsible for her actions getting her shot.
She's out of luck in "make my day" Colorado....she could probably sue and win millions in Kalifornia.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Anyone who does what she did is a threat. You have to work from that presumption, and to do otherwise is stupid. I admit, the homeowners' lives would better if their doors were locked and they had a large aggressive dog, because it would not have gotten this far, but every bit of responsibility for this event is on the silly drunk. I suspect that a trespassing conviction and a hell of a fine with some community service work is in her future, but she is very lucky to be alive.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Not sure I'm grasping the intent of your post. Care to elaborate on your questions and statements?

but on your questions... IMO

#1 does it matter?
#2 does it matter?
#3 what does "college kids > Rich people" mean?
#3a what message?
#4 what's to learn?
#4a what law needs to be changed?

Last edited by meanc; 05-27-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:01 PM

Somebody wakes you up in the middle of the night in YOUR house and you are supposed to be able to go through a series of thought processes with an intruder in your bedroom less than 20 feet away.

It sure is easy to armchair quaterback these situations when you are not in the situation, but the girl acted stupidly and paid a dear price this time. Sometimes, you're lucky and sometimes you are not.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
she's out of luck in "make my day" colorado....she could probably sue and win millions in kalifornia.
+ 1
Old 05-27-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaphoto View Post
Pretty college girls can shoot and be a threat as well.
On that note, I believe 'Squeaky' Fromme was considered quite a looker when she was a member of the Manson "family."
Old 05-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanc View Post
Not sure I'm grasping the intent of your post. Care to elaborate on your questions and statements?

but on your questions... IMO

#1 does it matter?
#2 does it matter?
#3 what does "college kids > Rich people" mean?
#3a what message?
#4 what's to learn?
#4a what law needs to be changed?
#1 I would say yes. Just because the law says you can shoot a trespasser, does not mean you should shoot every kid or person that trespasses, thats just plain silly to think. If you are in fear, than yes, shoot. If you do it just beacuse you can...

#2 I find it odd that "they" shot her once in the hip. Does it matter? Not much, but I guess they were not worried to shoot more than once. No shot, one shot, 5 shots to the chest, all could work.

#3 When it comes to making a statement and getting a message sent out, college kids will get more attention than the rich home owners. While I support the home owners and think its great that police will charge the women, I see more fuel for the anti gun liberals in CO.

#4 This could wake up college kids to their reckless ways, or could bring about shooting an unarmed person as a bad thing.

What was the womans intent? Its clear she needs help with drinking and better friends to keep an eye on her.

I have no real issues with people or police shooting an unarmed person, as long as they were in fear and not just doing it because they could. From what I found out the woman was a book writer and had a female stalker.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Didn't go to college > angry at world? What a tool...
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM

You know she may have not had ill intent when entering the couple's home but regardless of it being accident or not I dont blame them one bit for responding the way they did....

My house is my safe haven so when someone barges in during the middle of the night i would feel threatened and react as i felt necessary...

** Is the "Make My Day" law a spin off of like a castle doctrine ???
Old 05-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
#1 I would say yes. Just because the law says you can shoot a trespasser, does not mean you should shoot every kid or person that trespasses, thats just plain silly to think. If you are in fear, than yes, shoot. If you do it just beacuse you can...

#2 I find it odd that "they" shot her once in the hip. Does it matter? Not much, but I guess they were not worried to shoot more than once. No shot, one shot, 5 shots to the chest, all could work.

#3 When it comes to making a statement and getting a message sent out, college kids will get more attention than the rich home owners. While I support the home owners and think its great that police will charge the women, I see more fuel for the anti gun liberals in CO.

#4 This could wake up college kids to their reckless ways, or could bring about shooting an unarmed person as a bad thing.

What was the womans intent? Its clear she needs help with drinking and better friends to keep an eye on her.

I have no real issues with people or police shooting an unarmed person, as long as they were in fear and not just doing it because they could. From what I found out the woman was a book writer and had a female stalker.
Regarding your #3 comment I live in Fort Collins (almost an hour from Boulder) and work in Longmont (10 minutes from Boulder). There is surprising little criticism of the home owners even in ulta liberal Boulder.

One thing that people need to understand is that while most of Colorado is pro-gun, Boulder is ultra liberal and generally very anti-gun. I was surprised that the home owners even had a gun. The fact that the DA isn't trying to cook up something against the home owners really tells just how clearly they were in the right.

Now fast forward five years from now and I can see a made for TV movie story here with the girl cleaning up her act, becoming best friends with the homeowners and saving the husband's life by donating a kidney (bad joke)

Scott
Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM

She probably wasn't even a good looking college girl.