1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 AM

How do you protect your home?

Don't be to specific, and don't include your city etc.

I spend long periods from away from my family due to work. So I put multiple levels of security. Love to hear you opinion of it. In my mind they are pretty safe. Rancher style home.

1. All doors and windows alarmed, monitored cell system. Lines cant be cut.
2. 165lb Great Dane that lives for my wife and daughter, son is on his own there. Dog is a baby unless you grab my wife or daughter. Unbelievably powerful animal.
3. Wife and son (16) are both fair shots and experienced. Had range classes also. Beretta 96 near wife at night but clip is left out and near gun. Daughter is only 7yo. She has shot but the idea of her accidentally coming across a loaded gun is a huge fear regardless. Son has deer rifle in his room, unloaded with clip near by. And he is 6'1" ROTC and MMA trained.
4. Day/Night camera to record all motion outdoors.

We live at the end of a dirt road. Crime in the area is normally limited to mostly petty thefts. Home invasions are not common.
What do you guys do? What would you do differently that I am doing?
IMO all systems are fallible. My thought is that we have a system with multiple layers.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Lawyers, Guns and Money.

Dogs and an alarm fit in there also.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Alarm system cell monitored (can't harden the exterior lines), motion/glass break sensors (they are likely coming in through a window if they can get the glass out), impact resistant hurricane doors/windows (an axe comes in handy if you really want in), 3 small/med dogs, gun by the bed when I'm in it (otherwise locked up), AR15 nearby. Wife carries a revolver and gets pissed enough to kill anyone who threatens her dogs. No children in the home, well, except the dogs.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 AM

smart landscaping, outdoor lighting, alarm system with applicable easy to see signs, dog, gun.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Banned

Signs double lock dog and gun (S)
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 AM

GunVaults (several) strategically located throughout the house. 3 dogs that sleep mostly, but DO actually hear an atomic bomb going off All doors stay locked all the time (except if we're outside). I usually have my DE on my hip or in the desk where I'm sitting now. Pretty decent outside lighting. I've practiced (but not recently) moving thru the house in the dark, and keep "tactical" lights available.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM

6' fencing, locked gates, so one cannot approach the house lawfully and without a lot of hassle. Dogs, one of which is medium sized and loud, the other of which is medium large and loud, and not capable of tolerating strangers. Locked dead bolted doors. Loaded guns with in reach. Before the fencing? A very unwelcoming demeanor and no hesitation to offend anyone who came to the door.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Rottweiler, mastiff, good shooting gf.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:34 AM

I hope I protect my home WELL.
Thats all I'm sayin.
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug M again View Post
A very unwelcoming demeanor and no hesitation to offend anyone who came to the door.

I never open my door w/o "something" in my hand or on my hip. Always look thru the picture window to the left of the door before opening and usually yell through the window to the outsider to ascertain their needs/wants.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 PM

As my screen name indicates, we live in a hilly area so there are a couple of stair cases to get to the front door, or access the side yard areas. We live on a corner and the access to the house is very visible from the street. This alone makes it difficult for any potential thieves to run off with anything large. Landscape lighting, motion controlled lighting keeps the approach well lit at night and they'd never know if someone in the house were watching them approach.

Someone did try and gain access to the street level garage one time but, I'm assuming, that the traffic and the street light shining brightly across the street foiled their attempt. I just noticed a little hole in the screened window one day and figured out someone was trying the old "grab the manual release with a coat hanger" trick.
Few more items now, but not to mention here.

The biggest thing I do to protect the house is have complete replacement insurance. If someone wants to get in they will. Having a remotely monitored alarm system is fine, but (at least here) the police response to those types of alarms leaves more than enough time for a thief to gather a few things and get out. Plus where I live if you get 3 false alarms they charge you for responding, and may not respond at all in the future if it continues. (dogs are notorious for setting off motion detectors)

I don't care to live in Fort Knox and there is nothing here the insurance company can't replace.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post

I don't care to live in Fort Knox and there is nothing here the insurance company can't replace.
Except maybe you and your loved ones. They may not be after your "stuff."
Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
My Son and Wife aren't manufactured.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:03 PM

1st floor--above ground is Kitchen/Den/Dining room/Bathroom--All windows are solid and coated with shatter proof film. Alarm system to include motion and night vision camera's with cellular backup.

2nd floor--Is located where most people have their basement, accessed by door from den, which opens inword and is solid steel secured by several locks and upword moving steel bolts. This contains all of our bedrooms and spare bathroom.

3rd floor-- Is located below 2nd floor and is accessable through a stairwell similar to first one that leads hidden room with walk in bank vault, family entertainment room, bar, tv/theater room, full bath x 2, home electronic suite for all in house electronics. Yes, there is another exit but that's known only to my wife and I.

Entire home built on a reinforced steel frame and concrete walls/floors and surprisingly cheaper than a traditional home, other than the steel reinforced flooring for the vault. We have intercoms to all parts of the house and exterior, motion sensors activate color digital cameras and nightvision cameras that pop up on a small box on all tv's and is recorded to hard drive suites. Whole house has cellular backup and generac back up power, eye friendly lighting and air freshening system. This past winter our total winter heating bill was negligable. I've considered a dog, I'm in contract negotiations with the wife now as she want's a "blue" chihuahua and I want either a full shepherd or a wolf hybrid and she's afraid mine will eat hers.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM

I keep my doors locked... Hit the range Regularly... Have a 100lb crazy female shepherd.... I pretty much have an accessible weapon in every room of the house... They are up and out of reach of my daughter though so no mishaps there....

I have practiced with my fiancee on moving through the house in the pitch black... I do practice on tactical light use and have my fiancee train to do the same in the event that she may ever have to do something when im not here
Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 PM

German Shepherd, 1911, Hollow Points.

Don't hate, Operate!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsp45acp View Post
I never open my door w/o "something" in my hand or on my hip. Always look thru the picture window to the left of the door before opening and usually yell through the window to the outsider to ascertain their needs/wants.
Before we had the fencing, I didn't open the door for anyone I did not know. I yelled through it. Solicitors got offended once or twice. Tough.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM

A real athlete - she can catch tennis balls in the air -

And, she prays - we haven't had any threat to our house since she adopted us -

Does rest some, though -

She had big shoes to fill -

Actually, we never answer the door except through the windos next to faun dog Charley - half level above front soor - works for us.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJK; 05-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Jim

With a hand gun on the side of my bed held there securely within easy reach by a BEDSIDE-BUDDY. You can see this neat device at BEDSIDE-BUDDY.com.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM

Locked Doors
Windows that dont open, even if I wanted them to
A dog that sounds bigger then she is, hates people, and barks at the wind
Wilson CQB condition 3 with x300 on the rail, next to me 24/7 while home
AR15 condition 3 in the corner behind my cabinet
Someone always home
Plus my dads loaded guns

When im out and about, I have my M&P45 in my trunk with 3x10rd mags, 2x14rd mags incase I come home and find someone in my house when they shouldnt be. Im willing to open the door with only a knife on me. But other then that I dont take kindly to people who touch my door knob, good way to make me grab my Wilson.

Im never more then a 2 feet away from a gun in my house. Thats just the way I like it.

-Eric
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Exterior lighting on motion sensors
Monitored Alarm System
Wife has a Smith Model 10 Snubbie on her side
I have a Sig Tac Ops TB (with TLR-1s) on my side
Kids grown and gone
Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Retired nosy neighbors who suffer from insomnia that are quick on the trigger but more importantly quicker with 911 phone calls. :-) High police traffic due to a number of them living in the area helps greatly.

The rest is top secret. :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM

I believe protecting the home involves more than just outside dangers. As well as many things mentioned by others, I also do as one said above about strategic gun vaults thoughout house. Most small vaults can be opened as fast (or faster) than loading magazine and chambering. But add the protection from curious kids picking up a gun. No matter how well trained, kids (especially with friends) do dumb things. I would never consider removing a magazine as a "level of safety."

Feel free to flame, but I just had to throw that out there.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM

Trunk Monkey....
Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 PM

We live on 25 acres of enclosed land with a coded gate. If someone is on our property we should have been notified before hand. I have 3 layers of security;my AC Commander 45 and 12 gauge shotgun, a 135 lb very mean Anatolian Shepard and an even meaner wife with a 9mm.