1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM

The quality of Baer mags confirmed (at least in my mind)

I have heard the complaints about Baer mags but had not personally experienced any problems - until today. I have a 9mm PII with three "tuned Baer mags." I also have six Tripp and one Wilson 10 rounders. While shooting today, inserted one of the Baer mags into the gun and as it locked into place, the bottom plate sheared off and the spring came flying out of the mag. I immediately thought, "huh - that's strange." I cleaned up the pieces, loaded a Tripp and fired 10 rounds without problem. I then loaded another of the Baer mags and, as it locked into place, the bottom plate sheared off and the spring came flying out. That's right - two of the three mags failed in the exact same way. They are nine round mags, but I only loaded eight rounds into them. At that point, I wasn't willing to try the third mag again.

Here are some bad cell phone pics from the range:

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Interesting, to say the least. I recently purchased a P2 9mm and so far the Bear mags have out preformed the Wilson ETM's. However, the ETM's are new and the springs are stiff.

How old are your Baer mags?
Do you use them for competition?
Do you eject them to the ground?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM

That's the funny thing, this was probably only the fourth range session where those mags were used. Never used for competition, never dropped to the ground, and never loaded to capacity. During this session, I had run both mags a couple of times without problem. Then ... fail.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Wow, what are the odds of this happening?? Seriously!!! There has to be a reason for this especially for two in a row. I'd really want to know if I were you (and I'd like to know, too). Please keep us informed.
COTEP Member #CBOB0698
Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 PM

Those are actually Metalform mags you have there. Check your third magazine in the frame. Look specifically where the floor plate hits the frame in the front. Baer frames are machined a bit "different" than other frames and a lot of times the Metalform magazine floor plates hit the frame in the floor plate relief cut area front and center of your checkering. If you are continually slapping mags in there with the big pads, you might not notice the contact taking place. After a bit of use, the welded floor plate will let loose.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
Those are actually Metalform mags you have there. Check your third magazine in the frame. Look specifically where the floor plate hits the frame in the front. Baer frames are machined a bit "different" than other frames and a lot of times the Metalform magazine floor plates hit the frame in the floor plate relief cut area front and center of your checkering. If you are continually slapping mags in there with the big pads, you might not notice the contact taking place. After a bit of use, the welded floor plate will let loose.
Thanks, Alchemy. Is there a fix for these mags?
COTEP Member #CBOB0698
Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 PM

I would call Baer and tell them what happened and see if they will send you replacements.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango3 View Post
Thanks, Alchemy. Is there a fix for these mags?
Sure. Don't use them and you'll never have another problem.

Dan Wesson Valor 09 Valor #46 Cotep #184
Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
Sure. Don't use them and you'll never have another problem.
That is what I did with mine ........my only Baer 9mm mag had almost the same problem, I grabbed the end to pull it out of the mag holder on my belt and BOINGGGG, the base popped off and s*#@ went flying. Only got to run it through the gun once I think.

Junk-the welds failed
Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYJO4 View Post
I would call Baer and tell them what happened and see if they will send you replacements.
Based on this experience, I'm not sure I want replacements. I typically don't shoot with them, but thought, "why not" when packing my range bag yesterday. I guess I now have my answer as to "why not." It never ceases to amaze me how such a great pistol can come with such inferior mags.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post

Thanks, Rob. The pistol continues to impress - your work on it was absolutely first rate.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Even Though my baer mags worked great I can tell they arent the best quality. I'll just stick with my cmc and wc mags.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Not sure how many Baer mags I have. Proably a half dozen since I have 3 Baers. Other than the plastic follower wearing on mine, to the point of no longer locking the slide back, they work fine. At about 1k rounds through each of em I stuck new Tripp followers in em and I'll run em till they croak.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 PM

The fix for this is to remove material from the front strap of the frame. We always had to keep in mind on several different models that the material needed to be filed from that area on the frame.

There was a time, not so long ago, that Metalform knew that they had a problem with their welded base plates coming off. I would highly recommend anyone that's had this issue, call Metalform and see if they'll replace them.

The Metalform mags are good, it's just that their production needs were starting to exceed what their capacity was.