1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 PM

New From Texas Researching 1911's

I just finished my CHL class and looking for a 1911 to carry possibly instead of my glock 19. Decided this would be a great place to do some research so I can purchase my first 1911. Thinking I will be really looking to purchase at some point in August.

At this point in time I am looking at a few different Kimbers. I would really love a Wilson Combat but we will have to see how work goes between now and August.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 PM

One word.......COLT.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 PM

You will find this forum a great place to do your research. Check out the different manufacturers pages, ask questions, and make an informed decision. Each forum member has their own opinion on which models are best. Depending on your resources ($) some models could be out of your reach for now. There are tons of quality 1911s in the "starting level" and some "economy models". Only you can decide what your desires are and what limits your decision will have. Again ask lots of questions.

Welcome to the forum,

Grumpy

The secret of life? "Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money."
Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks to both of you. Im looking really hard at the Kimber Pro Carry in black and it seems wilson tactical mags are the way to go. Also envision some all black Wilson Tac G10 Starburst grips.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Hello from Conroe Texas.
Welcome to the forum, I just finished doing exactly what you are doing. I found the forum to have a wealth of information and pictures. I had to deside between a Kimber pro and A dan Wesson, I chose the Dan Wesson with a 4 1/4" barrel. It had all the bells and whistles I would eventually put on it standard. Dan Wesson customer service took time and answered all my questions and I wanted a good customer dervice. I bought a pre-owned pistol and had it checked out by a gunsmith and got a great price on the weapon. Happy hunting
Smitty
Attached Thumbnails
dan 1911-1.jpg  

Last edited by SmittynTexas; 05-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittynTexas View Post
Hello from Conroe Texas.
Welcome to the forum, I just finished doing exactly what you are doing. I found the forum to have a wealth of information and pictures. I had to deside between a Kimber pro and A dan Wesson, I chose the Dan Wesson with a 4 1/4" barrel. It had all the bells and whistles I would eventually put on it standard. Dan Wesson customer service took time and answered all my questions and I wanted a good customer dervice. I bought a pre-owned pistol and had it checked out by a gunsmith and got a great price on the weapon. Happy hunting
Smitty
Beautiful gun an thanks for the welcome. I'm down near Galveston.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Another welcome !!

Once you acquire a Wilson, you're not likely to go anywhere else, ever again. A Carry Comp was/is my first Wilson. Afterwards, there's been a Classic Supergrade, Tactical Supergrade, 10mm Hunter, and Compact Tactical Supergrade. All are joys to handle and shoot.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM

Welcome and take a look at the remington. I looked at a lot of guns but for the price the remington worked for me. Nothing fancy but sure is a straight shooter. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the forum and the advice!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM

Thank y'all. My big thing is that I want something reliable. To be my carry gun it has to go off every time. My glocks have ran without a single hiccup.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Wecome from North of Dallas....I guess I'll put my 2 cents worth in for Springfield. I'm on my third one and I'm really happy with the reliability and they have great customer service as well. Enjoy your search, it's part of the fun!!