1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM

First trip to range with Ultra Compact SS

I went to the range yesterday to try out my new to me Ultra Compact SS model. This gun had less than 100 rounds through it before I bought it.

I had 5 loaded mags with me, 3 Springer 7 rounders, and 2 Wilson Combat 7 rounders.

First mag through (Wilson) no problems, second mag (Springer) after second shot, the bottom extractor hook broke.

The few rounds I got through it were awesome. I am more accurate with this 1911 than my Taurus PT1911ALR, though the extractor never broke on it. I sold the PT to get this Springer.

I have already ordered a WC Bulletproof extractor for the Springer, and will be back at the range soon. I am pretty sure the WC extractor will last for thousands of rounds, since it is machined, not MIM like the factory extractor.

This in no way will make me think of giving up on this Ultra Compact, as I just love the feel of it in my hand.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Nice... Post some pics....
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GISS View Post
Nice... Post some pics....
Gonna need a day or two, working lots of hours right now, but I will post pics.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Nice. Glad you're enjoying it.

Yesterday I took my Micro Compact and Range Officer out to play. They're both pretty new with less than a few hundred rounds through each.

As much as I love the RO, the MC is super fun, and remarkably accurate.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 PM

Got my Ultra fixed today. WOOT!!!

The guys at Willamette Valley Firearms in Hillsboro Oregon replaced the broken extractor with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor.

Sorry for the delay in posting the pic. I have been working 6 days a week lately.

Here it is:

Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 AM

Nice

It looks nice. I noticed that model myself. 3.5" barrel which makes me wonder if the half-inch helps reliability over the 3" models.

Happy Shooting.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:51 PM

This is my first S/A 1911, but won't be my last. I was looking for a LTWT 4" Operator model when this one became available for purchase.

I have shot a LTWT Operator before and fell in love with it, but this Ultra Compact just could not be passed up.

As for reliability over a 3" model, I can't help you there, but the Ultra is now my go to gun since I got the extractor replaced. This gun is very fun to shoot, and shoots all kind of ammo. I have put Ball, Hydra SHock HP, Hornady Critical Defense HP, WWB HP, Pro reloads, etc through this gun with no problems, other than the broken extractor issue.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM

3.5", SA availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajablast View Post
This is my first S/A 1911, but won't be my last. I was looking for a LTWT 4" Operator model when this one became available for purchase.

I have shot a LTWT Operator before and fell in love with it, but this Ultra Compact just could not be passed up.

As for reliability over a 3" model, I can't help you there, but the Ultra is now my go to gun since I got the extractor replaced. This gun is very fun to shoot, and shoots all kind of ammo. I have put Ball, Hydra SHock HP, Hornady Critical Defense HP, WWB HP, Pro reloads, etc through this gun with no problems, other than the broken extractor issue.
The LTWT Operator is 3 oz lighter but slightly longer barrel and a longer grip. The Ultra Compact has the officer's grip height.

Impressive reliability using those h.p.'s without problems. Reading this and considering the good luck people have had with the 3.5" Rock Island Armory, I'm thinking just maybe that half inch does help.

I wonder if there is a difference between the 4" bull barrel SA and the 4.25" Commander with the bushing in terms of reliability.

Hear anything about SA availability for later this year?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:51 PM

Taking the UC out tomorrow for more reliability testing. Will post report once I return home.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:46 PM

The UC ran flawlessly today. Put about 80 more rounds through it. This gun is very accurate, definitely better than I can shoot, but it makes me look good.

The Wilson Combat Bullet-Proof Extractor is the way to go.