1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM

Browning Gold Hunter Jamming

Hello Guys.
I bought a Browning Gold Hunter new 7 years ago and have shot less than a box of shells through the gun. Due to some deer in the garden I started using the gun again this week but the gun is jamming on the first shell evertime the gun is fired. After three complete cleanings the gun still jams on the first shot. I have watched all of the U-Tube videos on "Assembly, Reassembly" so much I can recite the words to each. A friend of mine that has been shooting trap for years said to ulta lube the inside of the gun with Remoil that is yet to be tried but will tomorrow.
Anybody got any other suggestions?
Help please!
Phil
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM

How is it "jamming on the first shot"? Is it failing to extract or eject the first empty hull?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM

First Shot

I can't get past the first shot. A few times it didn't extract the empty shell. A few times it extracted the empty but didn't load the next shell. It seems like there is not enough gas coming through to work the bolt.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM

You need to use hot loads (high brass) They will not cycle with cheap ammo.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Okay...really stupid question here.

Any chance you are mixing a few 3" shells in a 2 & 3/4" gun??

If it's a 3" gun, never mind.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 PM

Some things to look at,is your magazine plug spring rusted in place so it does not feed a new round, have you used wd40,if so strip the gun and clean with Gunblaster or even gas to get the gunk off,never use wd40 especially in the trigger, is that a gas operated or spring recoil gun, if gas take the forearm off,barrel and take the gas ring apart,clean that,lube with CLP or Remoil and give it a go.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 PM

I shoot one of these and it shoots light 2 3/4" loads with no problem. My guess is that with less than a box of shells being shot through it, it is simply not broken in yet. Run a few boxes through it, and see if it settles in any. I know that this is not much of an answer, but I think it could simply need broken in.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 AM

Hi p11420.

Check the (hole) passage of the gas in the barrel and clean.

mag357.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Throw in the towel

Thanks for the help but I gave up today and took the gun to the gunsmith. My cleaning patch got hung on a trigger spring and stretched the spring so I took it to someone that can fix it. I hope! The gunsmith said the Gold Hunter had some issues but none with the Browning Silver.
The gun is a 2 3/4 -3 inch. I am shooting the cheapest and lightest loads I can buy. I have not tried a 3" shell. I cleaned out the two gas ports. I did clean the gas cylinder with W/D 40. Hope I answered all the questions.
As soon as the gun is returned I will quiz the gunsmith on what the problem was. I hope the gun is reliable when it is returned because I really like the gun and will take a beating if I trade it in on something different.
Thanks again
Phil
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM

I would never use WD40 on a guns internals as mentioned above,it tends to gunk up and form a glaze over time.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM

The only time that I have ever had trouble with my Browning Gold Magnum was when I was goose hunting in Canada. It was so dry that year and the dust was so fine, it gunked everything up and would cycle. It was so bad that a shell got stuck in the magazine and I got fined for having a loaded weapon in the vehicle. After that trip I installed the Sure Cycle Magazine upgrade kit and haven't had any issues since (of course I have not experienced similar conditions since either). I would've like to have the Sure Cycle recoil system installed as well, but that would be a gunsmith job.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Still not back.

The gunsmith replaced the spring but hasn't had a chance to shoot the gun to see if it works. They were questioning what kind of shells I was using. Told them Target loads as well as Dove and Qail. 3DR (Remington) and 3.25DR (Winchester). Both jammed.
I would hope this gun can shoot any shell made that is 3 inches or less. I would guess some people use this gun to shoot trap.
Hopefully the gun will be back and fixed next week!
I'll post the outcome when it's back.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM

Back to Browning

The gun jammed with the gunsmith as well so they are sending it back to Browning with shipping cost of $40 dollars. I called the Browning service center and they said $80 dollars to look at it then parts and labor on top of that. They were also questioning what loads I was shooting. Said the gun wouldn't shoot Walmart brands. The owners manual says it will shoot any factory load.
This gun is rapidly becoming an $800 dollar single shot!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:14 PM

That sucks. My Browning Gold Magnum does like to be really clean with a good light oil. If not, it does not like cheap (light) target loads. I've found if I keep it the way it should be, it will eat just about anything. I learned my lesson quick after a couple unfortunate trips to the range with friends. I hate sitting on the sidelines.

I hope they get it sorted out for you. Seems like every machine can have a little different personality, especially with hard to find defects. Once they find it, you'll really like the gun.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:45 PM

I agree, it sucks but I 'm left with few choices. The gun has to be fixed. I can't pass off a broken gun to someone else.
I looked at Shotgun shells this week and I was wondering what I should look for when buying a better shell for the gun. Power "DR", shot oz, brand? Any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Browning has good service. Autos tend to Jam with Winchester Universal Wally World stuff. Some do, some don't. The shells are just that cheap and that bad. My Beretta's eat them up, but other Autoloaders do not. Ideally, it should work with the lightest loads. It might not be "Broken" in as it has been mentioned. Run it wet and hot when you get it back. Put some 3 inch Mags in there and have at it. You want "heavy loads" (Magnums) to "break it in". Honestly, something might be wrong with it, and it doesn't need a break in. I haven't had an auto that needs one. Remember, No 3.5 inch shells as your chamber is a 3 inch if I have read correctly. (I'm sure you know, I just work the gun counter and have to warn people out of habit)

For Target Loads-Stay away from Winchester unless they're double A's. The gray and white box from my experience run in most but not all Autoloaders. Remington STS are great...and Gun Clubs tend to be great as well.

Pick up "High Brass" 2.75 as well (Can be pricey). You'll notice them when you see them. The brass goes higher up on the shell. Also pick up some 3 inch Magnums...any of the cheaper steel shot should work. This is purely for function. Start with 3 inch and work your way down.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Picked up the now expensive Gold Hunter yesterday. $175 dollars worth of repairs. Hopefully Browning knows what needs to be changed to make this gun work properly. They changed the sleeve bar that used to be all plastic with a different type that has a metal arm that feeds into the receiver. I can also see where they ground off some metal to make the sleeve fit properly.
Maybe tomorrow I can try it out to see if it shoots without jamming.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM

Have you shot it yet? Is it fixed?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 AM

Keep us posted.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Bolt

Be sure the rails in the frame that the bolt rides in are lubed. I used a light grease instead of oil. Use a gun oil, not WD 40, as has been previously mentioned. Be sure the carriers release is well lubed. You'll have to drop the trigger to really get to it. I'd also pull the bolt, look for any surfaces that have any wear, and lightly grease them. There's a lot of "stuff" sliding around on that gun, and you want as little drag as possible.

On the carrier release, there's a vertical pin through the frame that it pivots on when you depress it to release the bolt (if the bolt is back). On an SX-1, if that pin is broken you can have cycling problems. When the trigger is out, be sure the carrier release seems to be pivoting properly and the pin is intact. I've been shooting an SX-1 for almost 20 years in sporting clays and have over 100K rounds through it. Other than the buffer which needs to be replaced about every 20K or so, the only problem I've ever had is a carrier release pin.

Of course, if Browning has it now they'll probably check all that. The gun should be very reliable. I just bought an SX-2 Light for my daughter that looked like it had maybe one box of shells through it. I pulled the trigger and bolt, lubed all surfaces per above and used a good gun oil where needed, and took it to the range where it shoot two boxes of shells without a hiccup. I can happen.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 PM

My Hunter is the 3-1/2" Gold Hunter Magnum. I have found it to be somewhat tempermental if not really clean and wet. Moreso with cheap super light 2-3/4" target loads. If really clean, I can shoot the cheap small light loads. If not, use something in the 3" mid range. Seldom shoot 3-1/2" because of cost, but they seem to always work great.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM

One of my skeet students showed up with Browning Gold Hunter earlier this year and it wouldn't reliably cycle Rio target loads (2.75", 1 1/8oz, #8shot,1150fps). I gave him some of my Winchester AA loads (2.75, 1 1/8oz, #7.5shot, 1200fps) and it still wouldn't cycle. He said he went through a box of Remington 2.75 #6, 1300fps dove loads at home with no issues.

I took it back to the bench, sprayed it down with Ballistol, and went back to the trap fields...same result. Then I went back to the truck and found a box of Federal Low Recoil buckshot. Ran through the whole box with nary a hiccup. Tried the target loads again and it choked. Seems these guns need a lot of gas to cycle the action.

I loaned the student one of my Rem1100's to get through the day. I have quite a few students with a variety of entry-level to pro-level autos and this is the only one I've seen fail to cycle our target loads.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM

I wish I had seen this earlier. I would have advised you to replace the action spring in the stock of the gun with either a Wolff Spring or a Sure Cycle spring. With the S/A shotguns it is very common for people to neglect pulling the action spring out of the stock and cleaning it and the tube it is in and rust and corrosion on this spring can render a gun into a single shot. I'd be curious to see if Browning looked into this at all in addition to the other work they did on your gun?

Being a duck hunter I've seen some NASTY action/bolt return springs come out of the stock of S/A shotguns given the guns frequent exposure to water. I'm a big believer in the stainless sure cycle springs.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 PM

My Gold wont shoot the 100 WIN round valu pack without a jam or two. I swaped to the 100 round Fed value pack and no more jams. I honestly dont think the cheap win have enough powder in the shells to cycle correctly/ The good Win shells run fine.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 PM

The one time single shot Browning Gold Hunter is back as an automatic. So far I'm tickled pink. Ran 25 shells through the gun today from 4 different boxes of shells without a hiccup. Two types of Remington's and two types of Winchesters with various loads in each. I'm sure to some of you skeet shooters 25 shells isn't much but I still fell pretty good about the results.
Thanks to all of you for your imput. Maybe this thread can give other Gold Hunter owners with problems some hope if they are having problems with a Jamming gun.
Phil