1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 AM

empty magazine fails to drop from gun

Hi all.

Les Baer Premier II. I have some older mags that are slightly out of spec width wise at the feed lips from use. These mags will not drop free from this gun when empty. In-spec empty mags will drop free. These mags drop free from every other 1911 I own, just not on this gun.

Yeah, I know, I know. Just use in-spec mags. OK, now that that's out of the way....

Is there any fix I can do on my Baer to get it to also handle the older mags? What should I be looking at? I've tried pushing harder (or not quite as hard) on the mag release, no change.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 AM

Don't you think it makes more sense to try to fix the mag lips rather than modify the gun to handle broken mags? If you can't fix them then toss them. (Compare the price of the gun to the price of a mag.)
Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Gently squeeze the problem magazines in a vise until they'll drop free. Usually it doesn't take much.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsigman1 View Post
Hi all.

Les Baer Premier II. I have some older mags that are slightly out of spec width wise at the feed lips from use. I've tried pushing harder (or not quite as hard) on the mag release, no change.

Pushing harder on the mag release has nothing to do w/ your problem, the problem you have is the feed lips are rubbing on the inside of the grip frame and dragging.

Buy some new mags, or you can file or grind the inside of the grip frame to make it bigger.

Last edited by gunnut606; 05-25-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Make sure the mags are not hitting the grip screws or bushings. It's not likely they could be dragging on the grips. Like already said, when mags get to that point, there is no percentage in keeping them.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Ken Mays has it right.
You can gently squeeze the magazine in a smooth jawed vise and iron it right back out.
Slide your calipers up the tube to see where the wide parts are... usually but not always the lips.

I had two Mec-Gar 11 shot magazines that were soft and an IPSC speed load, dropping them with any rounds remaining would splay the lips. I got tired of mashing them flat and did not miss them when ruined in The Incident. I have one Wilson that cannot be made to drop free by squeezing or sanding, I use it for my IDPA Barney Bullet.

But several others, I have ironed out and they stayed in spec to drop free for a long time.
It costs nothing to give it a try. If you don't have a vise, Vise-Grip pliers will work.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 AM

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Mike
Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 AM

I knew a gunsmith in Tennessee who had a die he put the mags in open end first and whacked them with a rubber mallet and reformed the lips to like new. Don't know if this was his personal invention or if he bought it somewhere. Anybody else ever see one? I'd personally like to own one.