1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
You've probably read this before - I've replied to several posts. When I bought my new E Series SC, I had several failures to go fully into battery and ejected cases were hitting me in the forehead. I sent it back to Smith and received the exact same info on my work order. It helped some, but I still had the same problem, just not as often. A friend suggested I send it to Smith's warranty station in Texas. He shot it, adjusted the extractor and sent it back within 2 weeks. It has worked perfectly since then. I have over a 1,000 rounds thru it with no problems - hardball and JHPs. The man who runs the warranty station is named Frank Smith. For you guys that are having problems, I highly recommend that you send the gun to him. He will make it right.

Do you remember where in Texas the warranty center is? I would like to check it out sometime if it is close. off to google it...

edit: found it

LSG
10059 HWY 1476
COMANCHE, TX 76442
Phone: (325) 885-2700
Email: [email protected]
Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 AM

There's something funny about forums such as this. I own a 2011 Ford King Ranch diesel pickup. It has been flawless. If you go to some of the Ford Diesel forums you will here from people gripping about them. If you go to the forum about people who own Montana Fifth Wheels everybody praises the. I have figured out that thousands of folks own these things that have no problems whatsoever. They don't post here. The folks who post here seem to be the ones who have had issues. I used to have some Glocks. Less than a year ago all kinds of folks were having problems with casings ejecting into their forehead. I too had these issues. I studied mine and fixed it. I even put up a thread suggesting how others could fix theirs. Many did. Some just continued to gripe and send their guns to Glock. They came back from Glock still having issues. Kimbers and many other 1911s are full of MIM parts. It's simply what it is. Either pay the super premium of an all machined pistol or live with the facts folks. You can't buy a hand fitted perfect pistol for what these guns sell for. Mine is as good or better than any of the Colts, Paras, Kimbers, or Springfields I have had in the past. The slide stop and thumb safety on all of them would rub the finish on the pistol. It's just a tool not a piece of artwork.

In order to receive forgiveness, we must first forgive
Murphy's Law is still in effect
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 PM

Mr. Nowlin, I think you missed the point of the O.P. It doesn't matter if it's a hand fitted custom gun or a gun full of MIM parts, the gun should run, period. When you buy a new gun, any gun, you expect it to function and when it doesn't and you send it in you expect to work when you receive it back.

The O.P. and myself ironically had our guns at S&W repair center at the same time and received them back after a month with the same issues they were originally sent in for.

We both had to send our guns elsewhere to be repaired correctly.

It was a little more involved than a matter of the thumb safety scratching the finish off.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM

The S&W Repair Center in Texas seems like it is definitely to place to go to if you ever need a S&W warranty repair. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Skip the folks in the northeast and send your pistols to Texas.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 PM

I was attempting to point out the fact that some folks sent their guns to Glock multiple times and they kept coming back with the same problems. Many worship at the Glock altar. Often when a post like this comes up somebody chimes in and talks about their perfect Glock. On the Glock forum the fan boys came to Glock's defense and suggested folks get over the brass to the head as after all the gun was ejecting every time. I won't make such a dumb suggestion. The brass shouldn't hit you in the head. I suspect some careful polishing of the extractor hook will probably correct the problem. As for the minor tooling marks I don't know. Mine doesn't seem to have any. So far I haven't had any problems with any 1911 I've owned I couldn't solve myself. For a 1911 to be satisfactory for me it must feed empty hulls flawlessly when I decide to add 1 or 2 to a magazine. I used to be enamored with the aluminum frame guns but have gotten over that. It's much easier to somehow get a ding in the feed ramp of an aluminum frame gun from a magazine or whatever. If I can carry a fullsize 1911 with an all steel frame at 70 years old, I suspect any of you can carry one.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 PM

I like my scandium frames , but they do mark up easily .

Last edited by pacific keeper; 10-29-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 PM

Well this morning I was minding my own business and there came a knock at my back door. It was FedEx Home Delivery and they had a box for me. I wasn't quite sure what it was. I opened the box and there was a brand new blue plastic box like the one that comes with a SW1911. I bought mine used at a local gun shop and it came with one Wilson Combat magazine and no owners manual or carrying case. I called S&W customer service and told them the serial number on my pistol to attempt to find out when it was made. The gun looks brand new and hasn't been shot very much. The guy I spoke with was very nice and told me the gun was made in March of 2007. I asked about possibly buying a case for it. He said they were backordered about 200 units but he had a firend at the production facility in Maine that could possibly help. He said he would see what he could do. Well evidently his influence is very great and I now have a carrying case and it is free. That is my favorite price. I feel for those who are having problems and must admit I've been buying S&W handguns since the 70s and I haven't had any problems with any of them other than a used one I bought in a gun shop which the local police chief had done an action job on. It was a 10mm and it went full auto the first magazine I put in it. I called S&W and told them what happened and they said they would ship me stock parts to replace those which had been modified. I also called the dealer and he told me to bring it back and he swapped me another 10mm for it. When the new parts came from S&W I carried them to him.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM

Reading this, I thought I'd contribute a couple of things...

First, I like S&W products, and have gotten good customer service from them.

I also teach Basic Pistol and CCH in our state.

Most of my S&W handguns have been excellent. The most recent new one has functioned perfectly, but had very minor adjustment issues.

One of my students brought in a Sigma semi-auto, and was unable to shoot it accurately. After some trying, I asked to try it. It had one of the worst triggers I've ever encountered in a new pistol. Granted that they are at the low end of the price range for S&W products.

Finally, recently on the S&W forum, someone posted this picture. It's of a cylinder from a 686 that made it through quality control, and out into a consumer's hands... Notice, six cylinder chambers, fluted for a 7 chamber cylinder...

I don't think a company can ever relax it's constant attention to quality (in design and manufacturing). If the business pressures lead allow problems to consistently creep in, it's the first step toward permanently losing customers...

Marc

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
your kidding right.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post

Finally, recently on the S&W forum, someone posted this picture. It's of a cylinder from a 686 that made it through quality control, and out into a consumer's hands... Notice, six cylinder chambers, fluted for a 7 chamber cylinder...
Sigh. It figures that there would be some people that would still complain even if you gave them an extra flute for free....

Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 PM

I know of an individual who is having issues with a S&W .500 magnum revolver and it has already been returned once from customer service with the exact same issue that it was sent back to them for.

Now it looks like they are dicking him around regarding there "being a lot of bad ammunition out there" when in fact he shot only factory ammunition and the failure is not ammunition related at all.

Smith & Wesson has been my favorite manufacturer for almost 50 years but it's beginning to dawn on me that both their initial quality and customer service needs improvement.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM

To Old Bold Pilot

God Bless you and THANK YOU for your service. I am a novice for sure but have no problem with people posting real problems they are experiencing with a new product and I think it is all about quality control, or the lack thereof.

I don't know if there is such a postion at each company, but there SHOULD be full time employees test firing and cleaning the gun after say two magazines worth and having them access whether they'd be happy with each piece if THEY were buying it...........

Just my thoughts. Again, I am a novice, but a consumer of many things.