1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the update Kursac. I'm glad they took care of your issues. I'm not bashing S&W as a whole but I just laid out the experience that I and a few others had. At one time they were one of the best firearms company's on the planet and I will still seek out "older" revolvers. They can not possible treat ALL their customers with the lack of customer service as they did me because I'm sure that they would be out of business in short order.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogrider05 View Post
Thanks for the update Kursac. I'm glad they took care of your issues. I'm not bashing S&W as a whole but I just laid out the experience that I and a few others had. At one time they were one of the best firearms company's on the planet and I will still seek out "older" revolvers. They can not possible treat ALL their customers with the lack of customer service as they did me because I'm sure that they would be out of business in short order.
Times are funny right now, I run a trucking and warehouse company and comming out of the last 5 years economic trends have cause all companies to reasses how they do business. We were riding the gravy train through the Clinton years and company's were very fat, working with far more assets than they needed. The economy forced all companies to streamline the way they do business just to stay in business and survive. That meant consuming assets, eliminating redundant personal and looking at supply chains. While this is all going on you have supply and smaller support companies going out of business eliminating resources. Most companies increased incentives to encourage upper Managment and senior personal to take early retirement. These are just the sign of the times. We are in an election year and the fear of posable government changes and global economic changes has spiked an increased demand on an already strained market. Social media has also made it appear that customer service issues in every industry are more numerous when in reality the world is simply smaller than it was 5 years ago. You have to put things in the context of our times, nobody was bitching by pony express that their Colt had un nessesary holster ware. Today everyone with a scratch under their slide stop is telling the world & making is appear that all of a sudden quality control is no longer a concern. The wheel turns round and round, what's new is old & what's old is new again. Companies like S&W & others have been around a long time and have a lot of history selling and servicing to the public, that doesn't mean they don't suffer the rise and fall of trends that effect the market and production. Consider how many companies are actually over 100 years old, it doesn't happen by accident.

Just my thoughts

Last edited by Kursac; 05-22-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 AM

The gravy-train of the Clinton years was due to Ronnie before him.

And you can thank Clinton for opening trade with China. That one thing did more to hurt the worker USA than anything any Republican has done in the last 40 years.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot View Post
Well gee whiz, you sure sound like an authority, telling folks where and what to post and all. I do see now why you're a bit defensive about S&W.
"If you have had a bad experience with a pistolsmith, re-finisher, grip maker or whatever, do not post your grievances with the other person here. While your experiences may be as you have said, we do not know that since all we get is your side of the story. "

I'm not the authority in these Forums, the Moderators are, and there is their post at the top of the page. It aint rocket surgery to follow their directions, or to read a warranty card.

There is nothing personal or defensive about my posts; you started getting crappy with ALL of us happy S&W customers, nicely telling us to shut up about our GREAT experiences with the Corp.. Your attitude must REALLY shine on the telephone!!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
The gravy-train of the Clinton years was due to Ronnie before him.
So does that meen that Obama can thank Bush for all the problems he has or does it meen that your just spinning blame to support your own agenda. Because I have been through enough presidents to know that that's what every person does. Well you can thank the last guy for all the good that's happening or blame the last guy for everything that's wrong. I hate politics because most people don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and speak right out of their a$$.

Last edited by Kursac; 05-22-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 AM

It is sad that this is the most active S&W thread.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
"If you have had a bad experience with a pistolsmith, re-finisher, grip maker or whatever, do not post your grievances with the other person here. While your experiences may be as you have said, we do not know that since all we get is your side of the story. "

I'm not the authority in these Forums, the Moderators are, and there is their post at the top of the page. It aint rocket surgery to follow their directions, or to read a warranty card.

There is nothing personal or defensive about my posts; you started getting crappy with ALL of us happy S&W customers, nicely telling us to shut up about our GREAT experiences with the Corp.. Your attitude must REALLY shine on the telephone!!
Not worth responding to any longer. This thread has gone so far off track that I hope a mod steps in and closes it.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM

well, didn't i walk into a hornet's nest?

so, i picked up my 1911 e series today... so far, the thumb safety is anything but mushy, trigger feels exactly like i wanted it to, no horrid machining marks on the feed ramps, and, unlike the last colt 1911 i owned, doesn't sound like a maraca in a mariachi band.

every smith i owned was a bank vault solid performer. (the 4506 weighed as much as a bank vault....but i digress).

i'm now starting to wonder what i have done. expect a range report....praying i have better luck than a few of you folks.

and i refuse to get political.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Well I just got back from the range and put another 100 plus rounds down range flawlessly, the gun is beutiful and on top of that I came home to my Ka-Bar fanny pack that is gun specific and fits my Comander size 1911 perfectly. I'm an avid bicycle rider. It was a bit of a hunt finding what I was looking for. I ware bicycle specific clothing because I'm a long distance rider. I will say I'm not thrilled with the S&W magazines but that another subject.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuc328 View Post
it is sad that this is the most active s&w thread.
+1
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogrider05 View Post
Shell casings bounce off my forehead also. The thumb safety is great because I fit a single side Ed Brown safety.
My gun was also gone for a solid month and I just got it back yesterday. The work order they sent back states: barrel modification, adjust slide to barrel, range tested/meets spec. Thats it.
You've probably read this before - I've replied to several posts. When I bought my new E Series SC, I had several failures to go fully into battery and ejected cases were hitting me in the forehead. I sent it back to Smith and received the exact same info on my work order. It helped some, but I still had the same problem, just not as often. A friend suggested I send it to Smith's warranty station in Texas. He shot it, adjusted the extractor and sent it back within 2 weeks. It has worked perfectly since then. I have over a 1,000 rounds thru it with no problems - hardball and JHPs. The man who runs the warranty station is named Frank Smith. For you guys that are having problems, I highly recommend that you send the gun to him. He will make it right.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Not worth responding to any longer. This thread has gone so far off track that I hope a mod steps in and closes it.
It is unfortunate you feel your own thread should be closed, it been a good informative thread. Regardless of what some others may think it seems to be well withing the boundary of what the intended grievance restrictions. Posting about production flaws or ware issues and even unfortunate unsatisfactory customer service experiences are not what I would consider grievances that are or should be restricted or the intention of the grievance restrictions. It is unrealistic to only allow happy shiny thoughts and experiences and not be allowed to say I have an issue with failure and I'm pissed about it. These message boards are used for sharing information good and bad,not censoring content so the information is all 1 sided and paints an inaccurate picture.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Banned

I agree. However, the OP was not offering helpful information per a solution and had gone into a S&W bash fest.

Other members offered encouragement about their CS experiences and he decided it was THEY who should NOT be posting.

Make up your mind: censor the whiners who refuse to help themselves, or the happy S&W customers offering encouragement?

Sounds like the warranty Smith in Texas is the ticket.

Your last opinion statement paraphrases the "No grievances" rule: your grievences are one sided, so keep them to yourself, or let everybody know
the solution you found-when you found it!! How is that not reasonable, and difficult to understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursac View Post
It is unrealistic to only allow happy shiny thoughts and experiences and not be allowed to say I have an issue with failure and I'm pissed about it. These message boards are used for sharing information good and bad,not censoring content so the information is all 1 sided and paints an inaccurate picture.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the helpful information rman. Its good to know that there is a alternative to the Springfield repair facility.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursac View Post
It is unfortunate you feel your own thread should be closed, it been a good informative thread. Regardless of what some others may think it seems to be well withing the boundary of what the intended grievance restrictions. Posting about production flaws or ware issues and even unfortunate unsatisfactory customer service experiences are not what I would consider grievances that are or should be restricted or the intention of the grievance restrictions. It is unrealistic to only allow happy shiny thoughts and experiences and not be allowed to say I have an issue with failure and I'm pissed about it. These message boards are used for sharing information good and bad,not censoring content so the information is all 1 sided and paints an inaccurate picture.
I only suggested the thread be closed because it began veering in the direction of the political. I agree with everything you said. I've never suggested that anyone -- including those who were happy with their product and service -- shouldn't post. My point simply was that their experience didn't in any way cancel out that of those who were less than satisfied.

I've decided to keep my 1911PD Gunsite, but I'm having it worked on by a local, well-known gunsmith, Jim Hoag, who's in his 80s now and at one time was Col. Jeff Cooper's armorer. He's worked on several other pistols for me, and by the time he's done the pistols he's worked on become works of art in terms of function. I'm 68, I've been shooting since before I joined the Marine Corps 50 years ago, and I've reached the point in life where I simply decline to deal with stupidity and/or incompetence -- and I can afford not to. But that's just me. Others can take whatever road they like.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
I only suggested the thread be closed because it began veering in the direction of the political. .

Oh I know. Policy and rules are sooo political!?!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
Oh I know. Policy and rules are sooo political!?!
No, it was the references to Bush, Clinton and Obama that were political. You know, watching someone trying, and failing, to work out their anger issues in a public forum is not a pretty sight.

You need to read, then re-read, the section of my prior post that I've quoted below. It clearly explains why I'm not going to respond any further to your childishly provocative posts.

Quote:
... I've reached the point in life where I simply decline to deal with stupidity and/or incompetence...

Last edited by OldBoldPilot; 05-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
A friend suggested I send it to Smith's warranty station in Texas. He shot it, adjusted the extractor and sent it back within 2 weeks. It has worked perfectly since then. I have over a 1,000 rounds thru it with no problems - hardball and JHPs. The man who runs the warranty station is named Frank Smith. For you guys that are having problems, I highly recommend that you send the gun to him. He will make it right.
I'm going to try to find his info myself, but just in case, can you provide the contact details? (I'm not having any problems, and hope I don't, but it's always good to have info in case I ever do.)

Edited to add: Never mind, I found it very easily....it is listed on the S&W site, in Comanche, Texas, with contact details.

Last edited by GKC; 05-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

My apologies for any hurt feelings. Don't wanna throw salt into a wounded sidearm!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 AM

Hey OLD BOLD PILOT,

Thank you for your service in the Marine Corps. Take care.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 PM

ok question i see alot of people having problems my question is are these the series 80 style or 70 or both?
i have the 1911 pd and the wife has the 1911sc. neither of these have had any problems i am just trying to decide if i need to be concerned and get out of the s&w 1911 and move on to something else or not.
thanks for any advice
Old 05-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Technically neither, they are S&W style.
Dont' be concerned, none are bad, some just need a little more attention than was give at the factory. Some people aren't willing or capable of making these changes.
If it goes boom every time, shoot and enjoy it. rinse and repeat.
~J
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM

I just put another 100 rds through my 1911PD Commander yesterday, which puts it past 1k with no breakages or stoppages using factory ammo. I did have a few in the beginning but after I got some good magazines I have had no more issues.

My advice:

Keep it well lubricated (wet)
Use good magazines
Use a good stance, hold it with a firm grip and keep your wrists locked.

Last edited by Redhat; 05-25-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 PM

I think the problem is S&W makes too many different types of guns. They bit off more than they can chew.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2brode View Post
i have the 1911 pd and the wife has the 1911sc. neither of these have had any problems i am just trying to decide if i need to be concerned and get out of the s&w 1911 and move on to something else or not.
thanks for any advice
Not trying to sound like a smart aleck, but if you both are enjoying your pistols, and they are working well for you, why would you want to change? Besides, S&W is a great company with excellent customer service, and if you ever do have a problem they will take care of it.

The main thing is to go with what makes you happy, and what works for you...but I wouldn't change just because of what you read on the internet. It's great to get advice, and factor in the experience of others in making a decision, but your own experience should be what counts the most, for you.