1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > The Armed Citizen

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM

You guys over analyze too much. It probably exactly what it purports to be. It ain't a western movie, it's a store video of pretty low quality. I have been in many such stores in Central America and northern South America (i.e. Ecuador), so the setting is normal. I also don't expect to see someone blown off their feet, clouds of smoke, etc. And if you have a good high grip, not that much recoil.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Over analyze... 26 seconds the guy on the left reacts to the shoot/fall. He sweeps whatever was on the counter off into his hands and leaves by 40 seconds after briefly speaking with the man with the weapon.

Crime in South America is reacted to differently than it is here, it's far more common. One of our offices in Argentina was robbed at machine gun point, our Curitiba Offices have armed guards... We are an Agriculture company... that's right, we have armed guards on our Ag business!

Seems solid enough to me.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 PM

Anatomically speaking, an injury to the spinal cord at the level of the 6th cervical[neck] vertebrae and the guy could not move anything south of a shoulder shrug. At the 2nd or 3rd vertebral level, he could move arms but would be struggling with anything below the level of the chest. In my opinion, the movement in the picture would be consistant with an injury through the upper chest, above the heart and great vessels, through the spinal cord.
but what do I know- it might be a fake.
Daniel Webster-Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters./Thomas Jefferson--I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Must have severed his spinal cord to drop like that.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Smoke View Post
Wow... What a shot.... I wonder what incapacitated him so quickly with a single shot? Lucky shot placement?
He went into shock rather quickly to...when he was on the ground instead of a normal reaction to the shot he puts his hands up? Then unzips his jacket? Then hands back up? Not a high spinal cord shot, I'm with others, screams fake, at best taser
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLFED View Post
Must have severed his spinal cord to drop like that.
Wouldn't be able to brace for the fall if that was the case
Old 05-21-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks View Post
That was the absolute right thing to do.

Action is faster than reaction. The bad guy could have raised his gun and gotten a round off before the cop could have fired.
This was my answer, too. Even if it was a training video

Last edited by camillo; 05-21-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM

I am in Utah myself and this is why I have my CCW and carry 24x7.

NRA Member
Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II RL,Kimber Ultra TLE II, Kimber Raptor Pro II SS.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM

I'm going to be devils advocate on the authenticity of the video...

I am no expert but accept it as real based on my experiences with gunshot wounds as a trauma and emergency nurse... You would be surprised how little vascular damage bullets cause... Sure there is damage and different rounds cause different types of damage.... But the odds are the officer hit him in an area that doesn't lend itself to copious bleeding, or if it did to internal bleeding..

I believe there is a very informative FBI bulliten floating around regarding wounding capabilities of handguns that any CCW or defender should read...

Based on that knowledge I hypothesize that he was hit in the abdominal wall roughly four to five inches below his left nipple, which would mainly severe intestinal tract and exited straight through his spine which sent him to the ground like a sack of potatoes...

Either way it's prime learning for us, stay aware and ready at all times my friends!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 PM

Looks like it was a play....I call BS
Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 PM

cop looks back to his left and takes his eyes off the perp for a long time while the perp is on the ground and moving his hands a lot

could'a got himself shot by a wounded perp

and at about OO.25, the back of the perps hoodie twitches from the shot exit

Last edited by doc540; 05-25-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
Geeze did he even yell at the guy to drop his weapon? He had it down when the cop confronted him.

Curious to hear if people think the cop did the right thing here.
I took a personel protection class once. We did an excercise where a BG had you at gun point and was telling you to drop your gun, at that point we were instructed to pull our weapon up and fire at BG, everyone of us in the class were able to raise our weapon and fire 1-3 shots before BG got 1 shot off!!

I'd rather explain why I shot him then hope I recovered!!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-Fan View Post
That guy in the green shirt just keeps doing what he's doing and then casually walks out. Funny...........
I know right! Just another guy gettin shot..lol. Hardly even flinches as if he has ear protection on.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillehayd View Post
There's a word for people who wring their hands and worry that the cop shot too fast or should have given the perp a chance to surrender or fight: "Deceased".

Thought you were gonna say "Sheep"

Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Now THAT's what I call GUN CONTROL!!! Nice Shootin' Tex!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
For everyone that says the cop should have talked to him I say..........

Save a dollar - shoot a bad guy dead. I bet you wouldn't want him to talk if your mother was at the counter with a guy waiving a gun near her.

Wonder what he thought while he was laying on the floor bleeding?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMChuc9775 View Post
For everyone that says the cop should have talked to him I say..........

Save a dollar - shoot a bad guy dead. I bet you wouldn't want him to talk if your mother was at the counter with a guy waiving a gun near her.

Wonder what he thought while he was laying on the floor bleeding?
Well it sure wasn't, "did I leave The coffee pot on?"
Old 06-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
Geeze did he even yell at the guy to drop his weapon? He had it down when the cop confronted him.

Curious to hear if people think the cop did the right thing here.

To yell would be to possibly take a bullet himself. Why endanger himself and all the civilians? BG chose his trade knowing the consequences. I think the cop acted appropriately in the situation.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillehayd View Post
There's a word for people who wring their hands and worry that the cop shot too fast or should have given the perp a chance to surrender or fight...

Liberals?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:21 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspoon View Post
Well it sure wasn't, "did I leave The coffee pot on?"
I was thinking more of the lines of "My brother is gonna kill me!" "I didn't tell him I borrowed his shirt."
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCESWITHGUNS View Post
-FREEZE! and don't make any sudden moves.

-Drop it! Police!

-Don't move or I'll shoot!

-REACH FOR THE SKY!

-BANG! The off duty cop goes home at the end of the day because he has the edge.

Decisions-decisions, what to do? Yeah, he should've given it more thought

The BG already threatened and robbed the clerk @ gunpoint, the cop had the shot and bam! He takes it. Why chance a hostage situation?

You go Brazilian five-O!
Would he have done the same thing had it been a 13 year old girl?
Texas Longhorn Football Alumni Member
UT Ex students Assn. - Life Member
Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfpapa6 View Post
With a weapon in her hands, and the expressed inent of robbery like the dude in the vid did? I'd say so.

BG with a gun is a BG with a gun.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfpapa6 View Post
i can readily admit i would not, guy yes, girl no unless the weapon moved in my direction, thats just me and probably stupid but its the honest answer. anyone else thinking about answering that should really think about it before you do.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:20 AM

The BG had already demonstrated a lethal threat to the clerk by brandishing the gun. So let's say the cop tried to talk...and ends up getting himself and the cleck killed by hesitating. Then everyone would say "why did he hesitate?" Remember, cops have a higher duty to act than civilians. (Just an assumption here... I don't know about Brazilian laws specifically.) Remember, cops run TO the danger, not away. God bless 'em for it, too.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929bigo View Post
The BG had already demonstrated a lethal threat to the clerk by brandishing the gun. So let's say the cop tried to talk...and ends up getting himself and the cleck killed by hesitating. Then everyone would say "why did he hesitate?" Remember, cops have a higher duty to act than civilians. (Just an assumption here... I don't know about Brazilian laws specifically.) Remember, cops run TO the danger, not away. God bless 'em for it, too.
yea generally. i had a partner once broke and ran at the sound of a shotgun being racked, ran PAST the patrol car to a 7-11 a half block away and called it in on the pay phone. left me standing there. bout a week later he was reassigned to Warrants. by that time it was funny as hell though. kinda. wish i knew, just for the hell of it, if the video was real or not. gotta find a 9 yr old to look at it and tell me yes or no.