1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 05-21-2012, 10:07 PM

The Practical and Some New Spegels

I finally broke down and got some Spegels for my custom Practical. After the work by Don Williams, it seemed that the only way to complete this project was to put some custom stocks on it. I didn't want foo-foo custom wood, though. After all, this was a "Practical". Delrins by Craig Spegel seemed to be the answer. Perfect fit to the frame, rugged and, well, practical. This pistol is done.
Bob

Last edited by OIF2; 05-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM

Ooh,

that's pretty! Best of luck with it - hope it serves you well.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM

That is a beautiful gun. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. How's the trigger pull?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthogge View Post
That is a beautiful gun. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. How's the trigger pull?
It is a superb shooter with GI Match ball. Don set the trigger at 5 lbs; no creep, with a clean break. Hi Power heaven!
Bob

20 yards, GI Match ball. This was shot before I sent it to Don for his BHP magic. The old "Uncle Mike's" stocks are on it.

After I got it back from Don. The trigger job and Novak sights were definitely a help. 147 grain LAPD duty load, 15 yards.

Last edited by OIF2; 05-21-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM

Roberto,

Perfecto!!!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 AM

Nice looking Practical Bob! Those (Spegel) Delrin's are extremely durable and will last a lifetime. I've had a set on my #2 Spec Ops BHP since 1992. Nice pic's also as always.

Last edited by wags; 05-22-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: appeasing for the offended.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 AM

The Spegel Delrin's sure seem to hold up well. They look brand new.
Good investment I'd think.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM

And as Burgs pointed out, it's "Spegel", not "Spegal".
Old 05-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
And as Burgs pointed out, it's "Spegel", not "Spegal".
I think Burgs pointed out that the stocks were rugged and "hold up well"...I only see one spelling Nazi here. Enjoy the photos and chill.
Bob

Last edited by OIF2; 05-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM

No spelling Nazi here, that would be a full-time job on the internet.

Just respect for a craftsman who deserves it.

Chilling away.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Nice looking Practical Bob! Those (Spegel) Delrin's are extremely durable and will last a lifetime. I've had a set on my #2 Spec Ops BHP since 1992. Nice pic's also as always.

Love that pistol. You need to stop teasing us and post some photos of it OUTSIDE the holster (which is nice, too). I wanna see the whole gun (oops! Sorry about da spelling).
Bob

Last edited by OIF2; 05-22-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM

Wags,

Take it off! TAKE IT ALL OFF!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:18 AM

Sorry about the tease..... This Spec Ops guy with Spegel Delrin grips is the bottom pistol. Wish I had better pictures though.

Last edited by wags; 05-23-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: appeasing for the offended.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Nice! I'm having my 10th BHP (a MKIII forged frame) set up a lot like that by my no-name gunsmith, Arnie Dew. It'll have Novaks, an ambi safety, Parked finish and a retro-style rowel (ring) hammer. Can't decide on the stocks yet...
Bob
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF2 View Post
Nice! I'm having my 10th BHP (a MKIII forged frame) set up a lot like that by my no-name gunsmith, Arnie Dew. It'll have Novaks, an ambi safety, Parked finish and a retro-style rowel (ring) hammer. Can't decide on the stocks yet...
Bob
The retro rowel hammer's are my favorite believe it or not. Can't wait for pictures in future.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry about the tease..... This Spec Ops guy with Spegel Delrin grips is the bottom pistol. Wish I had better pictures though.

wags, nice pics...
Please; what differences with the "special ops" model? The rear sight maybe, or was that part of that specific package? What else? MK?, Gov. model? Year? Or was this YOUR personally compiled creation? I am noticing a "beefier" front grip strap on the wood gripped version, or is that just the lighting? Actually; looking @ my own MKIII, it appears that the Spec. Ops may have a thinner front strap?? Same Magazines? Please enlighten me.

Also; ...wood gripped model shown....please explain the extra hole visible on the right side of the frame just forward of the grip and in line with the slide release pin.

I bought a new 75th MK III and really enjoy it, what with the evolutionary improvements from the original and quite adequete initial design.
Keeping it simple, a little bit at a time!
I'm learning, that in 76 years there have been a moderate range of variations. Not quite yet to the degree of toothpastes.
What a grand HISTORY! My one and only BHP to date, beautiful and reliable w/2500 rounds to date. Current favorite!

Fantastic site, Hail, Mr. Camp, RIP

Thanks All,.........hope everything is spelt ok..
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 AM

I can assure you, Mr hangdog, it won't be your last BHP.
Bob
Old 05-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
wags, nice pics...
Please; what differences with the "special ops" model? The rear sight maybe, or was that part of that specific package? What else? MK?, Gov. model? Year? Or was this YOUR personally compiled creation? I am noticing a "beefier" front grip strap on the wood gripped version, or is that just the lighting? Actually; looking @ my own MKIII, it appears that the Spec. Ops may have a thinner front strap?? Same Magazines? Please enlighten me.

Also; ...wood gripped model shown....please explain the extra hole visible on the right side of the frame just forward of the grip and in line with the slide release pin.

I bought a new 75th MK III and really enjoy it, what with the evolutionary improvements from the original and quite adequete initial design.
Keeping it simple, a little bit at a time!
I'm learning, that in 76 years there have been a moderate range of variations. Not quite yet to the degree of toothpastes.
What a grand HISTORY! My one and only BHP to date, beautiful and reliable w/2500 rounds to date. Current favorite!

Fantastic site, Hail, Mr. Camp, RIP

Thanks All,.........hope everything is spelt ok..
Good eyes hangdog on the extra frame located hole. This pistol was acquired complete except for a stripped frame. I located this one (72C) with the drilled hole. It serves no purpose. Sent it off to Novak's for the then new Spec Ops package (1990/1991 circ. Kurt Wickman did all the work). Grips are signed Craig Spegel Coco Bolo. Rear sights are Novak Lo mount MKII's. My first Spec Ops pistol.

1 year later I buy this 1991 MKIII (serial# 245NZ) and also have Novak's complete the Spec Ops package. This time though the Novak "No Bite" hammer mod was used. Grips of course are the Spegel Dupont Delrin composite material. Rear sight is also a Novak MKII. Basically identical pistols other than a sport series vs a MKIII with ambi safety and hammer mod. Kurt also did this work also. Miss the guy.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The retro rowel hammer's are my favorite believe it or not. Can't wait for pictures in future.

+1 What HE said.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Wags,

Thanks for the photos!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM

Delrin is pretty close to indestructible I am given to understand. My first known use of it was in machine cut custom target shotgun ribs for changing point of impact. I hear it has other applications as well but the custom shotgun rib application was the first I heard of the material. I am further given to understand it is difficult for Mr. Spegel to work and he makes fewer pair as a result. Though similar in appearance to the popular Micarta grips sold by brownells, the extra material found in the Spegel hi power grips is music to my hands. My only regret is not having enough pesos to equip all my hi powers with Spegel Delrin grips.

You made the right call Bob!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
Classy yet utilitarian Bob, nicely done...
Old 06-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
Delrin is pretty close to indestructible I am given to understand. My first known use of it was in machine cut custom target shotgun ribs for changing point of impact. I hear it has other applications as well but the custom shotgun rib application was the first I heard of the material. I am further given to understand it is difficult for Mr. Spegel to work and he makes fewer pair as a result. Though similar in appearance to the popular Micarta grips sold by brownells, the extra material found in the Spegel hi power grips is music to my hands. My only regret is not having enough pesos to equip all my hi powers with Spegel Delrin grips.

You made the right call Bob!
Thanks, Chuntaro...good to see you back and posting again.
Bob
Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Great setup Bob. I started out with some Navidrex grips, but went to Spegel's as soon as I figured things out.

I liked the black and silver look at first --

but decided to go with something a little flashier after a while. Hope it doesn't look too much like a Kimber now.

Vern