1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > LEO Duty

Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Pepper Spray help

I am planning to buy Pepper Spray for my wife and daughter.

Kinda confused which kind to buy in between stream pattern, a cone-mist and fog.

Asking officers for advise since they have real life experience about using Pepper Spray.

Thanks in advance.

georgiacarry.org member
georgiapacking.org member
gonforum member
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Im issued OC spray in the stream. I like stream over the fog-mist. The stream is a little more precise and less effected by wind. Remember pepper destroys some people and doesnt do much on others. Ive seen both happen. Its a nice tool just dont solely rely on it. Hope this helps
Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 PM

Stream has further range but requires more precision.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM

I'm also issued stream. Like east bay said, OC can be fought through so have a backup.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned

I like those type used with the Occupy wall streeters Fire extinguisher type with hose. That combined with a Flame thrower Back Pack and you can walk anywhere with no fear!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM

I'd go with stream for the family. It does require a little more precision, but the likelyhood of a direct exposure is reduced exponentially compared to fog/mist.

Trust me - when fog is deployed, everyone nearby will be crying and snotting up a storm. Not quite as likely with stream.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Stream is the way to go. Foam may be wiped off quickly and the fog/mist system is not accurate enough. I'm issued stream and it's AWFUL. Look into a citizen Taser as well.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM

I’ve only been issued stream since O.C. replaced tear gas. I did buy my girlfriend the Kimber pepper blaster, http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster , but after considering that the pepper blaster can only be used two times, is fairly expensive, and if she aims the pepper blaster as good as she shoots, she probably needs more than two attempts to hit her target. I ended up giving her the same type I carry on duty. Here’s a link to some good info. http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/po...r-sprays.shtml
Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 AM

I carry Vexor, Fox , and First Defence depending on wich PD i'm working. All are stream and I have used the first two rather extensivly although my actual use was when I was working armed security at Denny's. It was 100% effective for me but then again I wasn't going up against really determined opponents. Well the Fox didn't work 100% the time my boss got his intended victim and me at the same time. Really helps to be aware of wind direction too as even the stream can get you with blowback.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 PM

I'd never do that to my family. If they insisted, I'd fog the closed garage and have them step in it. They will hate you, but they shouldn't suffer as bad as a shot to the eyes with a stream. Then open the garage door with a fan blowing it out. Hopefully you don't have close neighbors.
Have Johnson baby shampoo on hand and a running garden hose out the door waiting.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 PM

I would go with the stream. More precise. Better range.

Also, let your family know that the OC does take a few seconds to activate fully. The full reaction of the spray will not be immediate.

A civilain taser would probably be a better option.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 AM

I got sprayed in the eyes with department issued stream. It was two days before I could fully see right. The pain was intense for a good 3 hours, took 2 showers not to have it burn after, and the whole next day to actually be able to stand the light.

The fog however was more like OC in the Military, hurt like hell to my eyes, snot and choking, but it was easier to recover from that vs the stream right to the eyes.

Problem with the fog, one who sprays it gets a taste of it usually. Still it isn't near as bad as a direct spray. Direct spray I'd describe it as someone spraying you with gasoline, lighting it, while they gouge your eyes out with a fork. And that probably would hurt less. One guy I know wasn't bothered by it, he is a machine. All the rest of us were hurting. We had to fight and arrest our way to the decon station also. It was hell.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 PM

We use Sabre Red which is pretty effective. Sabre makes a variety of sprays, so you will have to wade through their website to find the hotter sprays.

I would personally suggest cone or fog for civilian self-defense. Your family members will presumably be retreating after an OC deployment. Contamination is less of an issue than in a law enforcement application. One is less likely to miss with cone or fog-shaped sprays than with streams. They also tend to rapidly affect both respiration and vision.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 AM

I prefer the stream because it has a better throw and is a little more precise. The cone or spray is affected a lot easier by wind so the sprayer is more susceptible to indirect exposure. That being said I agree with M21 guy, OC could be a bad idea. Depending on your family members mentality and how they react to the effects of OC it may have more negatives than positives. If they are more affected by indirect exposure than an attacker is direct exposure, it becomes a negative... just somethings to think about before going that route. It may be good, may not be, thats something for you and your family to figure out. If your family members have any sort of respiratory issues, its definitely a no go... good luck
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 AM

How about the ASP pepper spray; it also give you a striking tool like a kubaton.

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/A...p-1-c-558.html
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM

While I'm not an officer (yet), I've been a Marine MP and have been sprayed before. My girlfriend wanted some OC spray, so I got her the FOX Mean Green keychain. I would recommend getting the stream, for the various reasons other posters have already explained, it's better. The best part about the Mean Green, is obviously it's color. This would help during an attack or offense, it would be easy for the perp to be identified.

http://www.foxlabs.com/meangreen/index.shtml

http://www.foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml
1911 Addicts
Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Stream

I've prepped my daughter with the precision and pray & spray methods. I trained her with inert stream and she saw how see being on the move she could get the upper body & face area pretty easily. That's just my .02

'44 Remington Rand, Kimber Stainless II, S&W 1911PD, Colt's Commander (S80) & SS Government (S80)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM

The worst stuff I've ever seen (best if its in their eyes) is AERKO International Freeze +P
Old 07-21-2012, 03:01 PM

my department issues the fog. Guess ill side with it. Ive tried the stream and its very effective when aimed correctly, but if I was dealing with multiple perps ill take my fog. Yes youll catch a little overspray, but its manageable. Ive seen it break up fights and easily ward off multiple threats. Ive been directly sprayed with it when i was being qualified and it was terrible. From 6ft away i got hit and within a few seconds i couldnt do anything substantial. Stream or fog is personal preference. They are both effective in most cases. My main motive for fog is that i can take out multiple people with one can.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM

As a LEO ( thus have seen it applied many times ) I must say: don't do either. OC sucks, it's a condiment, not a weapon. Period.

http://www.senshidoct.com/Random-Thoughts.html scroll down to the post on OC.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai7 View Post
As a LEO ( thus have seen it applied many times ) I must say: don't do either. OC sucks, it's a condiment, not a weapon. Period.

http://www.senshidoct.com/Random-Thoughts.html scroll down to the post on OC.
One man's opinion found on a web-page where he is trying to sell his martial art form. The OP wasn't asking for a weapon for his wife and daughter, he was asking about what OC spray would be the best. OC spray application is different for citizens and LEO's.

LEO's use it to temporarily distract an assailant so that they can employ another tool to secure and restrain someone to make the arrest. Citizens carry OC so that they can distract an attacker to give them just enough time to disengage and then flee. I've used OC and have been inundated with it many times and I find it effective for it's intended purpose in both LE and citizen applications.

OC is not a weapon, agreed .... but even your source wouldn't call it a condiment either. In fact, your page that you cited spelled out "it's not a pleasant experience to be on the receiving end of a blast of OC. I've been hit several times in training and on the street and I'm not looking forward to it happening again."

If the OP were to read this, I would recommend the Kimber Pepper Blaster II. It's what my wife carries and I keep one handy as well for off duty carry. I you watch the video, it doesn't appear that the test subject thought it was a condiment.

Regards,

Fin

Last edited by M4finny; 08-01-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM

I just bought a bear spray from amazon. its like ten or so more dollars than a keychain pepper spray. its lot bigger than a regular pepper spray, but it comes with a holster too. it shoots a stream of pepper spray up to 30 feet. maynot be legal to use on human, but no body i asked said you get in trouble, if somebody attacks you.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM

and the blog post clearly states the Kimber blaster might be the light at the end of the tunnel for OC ( I can't wait to see it used on the street ). I've NEVER seen stream or foam OC work worth the space it takes up on my duty belt. Your mileage may vary, your opinion may differ. For the record, Senshido in NOT a martial art. And I still hold to my opinion that OC is flat out useless for a civilian, and just a waste of time for a cop. When your life is on the line you don't need an irritant, you need a weapon. Pain and irritation can NOT be counted on. Damage and panic are far more reliable.

Last edited by banzai7; 08-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRangeFuzz View Post
I'd go with stream for the family. It does require a little more precision, but the likelyhood of a direct exposure is reduced exponentially compared to fog/mist.

Trust me - when fog is deployed, everyone nearby will be crying and snotting up a storm. Not quite as likely with stream.
+ 1 The likelihood of blowback is much greater with Fog. And the regular Fox Labs (5.3 million SHU) is seriously good stuff.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai7 View Post
and the blog post clearly states the Kimber blaster might be the light at the end of the tunnel for OC ( I can't wait to see it used on the street ). I've NEVER seen stream or foam OC work worth the space it takes up on my duty belt. Your mileage may vary, your opinion may differ. For the record, Senshido in NOT a martial art. And I still hold to my opinion that OC is flat out useless for a civilian, and just a waste of time for a cop. When your life is on the line you don't need an irritant, you need a weapon. Pain and irritation can NOT be counted on. Damage and panic are far more reliable.
Understood. Keep in mind that the OP doesn't wear a duty belt like you do and like I did years ago. He came here asking for help for a non-LE application. The sub-forum is titled "LEO duty", but I have no problem having folks come here for our advice from time to time. I think it's important for us to keep that in mind when we craft our answers.

FWIW, you and I will hang up that duty belt someday, keep that in mind. We're done here.

Regards,

Fin