1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM

anyone else shooting.....

i wanna shoot the new three gun setup for uspsa.....anyone doing this with an entry level setup? what are you using......and will my setup work?
glock 23, mossberg 500 collapsable stock, mini 14?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:59 PM

If you handload for the .40, you can get it to shoot softer than a 9. If you're just shooting local matches that have fairly close targets, the mini might be ok, but, I've never seen one that would shoot very accurately, which is why you rarely see one at a match.

At least you have some toys to play with, to see if you really like it. I shot my first 3-gun match in 2004. I think I now have over 10K tied up in toys for the game.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM

Show up and shoot. you will be welcomed and steered towards 'the way to proceed' by seeing what works and what doesn't and asking for advise. You won't be scoring above the fold for a long time no matter what toys you show up with, so don't sweat it.

My first 3 gun, I showed up without a shotgun. I was lent a competitor's back-up for the day, plus 5 slugs for the double spinner.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Your setup will work, but if you get into it you will be buying new toys soon.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM

I agree with the others. Shoot with whatever gear you have to start with. Invariably you'll change something after you've done it for a bit and get a chance to see what works for you and what doesn't.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Yes it will work. Shoot a few matches and see if you get hooked. If you do think about jumping to the end of the upgrade process. If you can do that you will save money. Look at what the folks "scoring above the fold" are shooting. You will find they mostly shoot the same thing. If you just upgrade to the next level it will cost you a lot more in the end. At least that has been my experience not following the above advice.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Great advice! I see a lot of people fall into the pitfall of "what rifle/handgun/shotgun for 3 gun" before ever trying it... Yeah, me!

Shoot what you've got, find out what you find your setup lacking , if anything and talk to people! I started shooting with my Glock 23 and Remington 870 and they still work for me. I put together an AR-15 with Rail and ACOG "high speed" gun based on other peoples preferences; over $3K later I have a heavy rifle with a cumbersome scope... Oops. My main AR now is a BCM middy, standard plastic foreend and Aimpoint.

I now use a Remington 1100 ( looking to upgrade), Sig P226 9mm and my BCM middy AR-15.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultclassics View Post
glock 23, mossberg 500 collapsable stock, mini 14?
If you serious guys were going to upgrade this a piece at a time, where would you start? I'm guessing pistol last but I'm notta 3 gunner.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsay View Post
If you serious guys were going to upgrade this a piece at a time, where would you start? I'm guessing pistol last but I'm notta 3 gunner.
If he gets serious he will want to replace all three guns. Depending on the matches he will shoot. He will need an AR type rifle, they are more accurate and faster to reload than the Mini, A semi auto shotgun is almost a must, Bennelli, FNH or the new Mossberg. Also probably a more accurate handgun.