1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
Hey Dieselman,

You don't happen to have some OAL measurements for all those 9mm SD rounds you tested in you notebook do you?

I can't find squat on line for factory OAL specs from anyone and I hate to just keep doing the "buy and try" thing.
Sorry I do not. However if I can find my calipers I would be happy to measure them for you. When I get home tonight, I'll dig around and see if I can come up with some.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 PM

That would be way cool.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 PM

Okay so here is the info Jim that I can provide

The only three 9mm loads that I have left are the Speer 124gr standard pressure Gold Dot, Speer 115gr. +P+ Gold Dot and Federal 124gr. Hydro-shok standard pressure. All the other stuff I had has been shot up. In fact the only thing I have left right now is 4 rounds of the Hydro-Shok, 2 rounds of the 115+P+ and about 100 rounds of the standard pressure 124gr Gold Dot.

OAL:

Hydro-Shok = 1.101"

Gold Dot 115+P+ = 1.114"

Gold Dot 124 = 1.118"

Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 AM

Thanks Dieselman!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefjefe View Post
I don't see Winchester PDX1 45 230 gr on the list. Was it not tested? Is it considered acceptable? Thanks, sorry to hijack.
It has not, to my knowledge, been tested. What we do know about it is this:

1. The bullet is essentially the same as the newer version of the Ranger T-series Bonded loads produced for the FBI in 9mm and .40 Smith, which has been tested and shows good, consistent results.

2. Anecdotal testing of this load by third parties shows similar performance to Speer Gold Dot and other bonded loads.

3. In the cases we do have of this load used against animals and a few informal/anecdotal cases of self defense use, the load works as well as anything else.

By the strict letter of the law, however, the round is both too new and generally untested by the larger ballistics test groups, so nothing official has stamped it yet, though I am confident enough in the testing that has been done to believe it should work OK.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Just an FYI, Summitgunbroker now has some great deals on 9mm ammo:

9BPLE +P+ for $17.00 box or $315.00 per case

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/9mm__P_.html
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 PM

I wonder if they are going to discontinue the Hi-Shok. Ive seen a bunch of it around lately at good prices. A couple months back I bought several boxes of the 185 gr .45 for something like $17 a box of 50. Good range ammo and no problems in any of my guns. The ammo, atleast in some calibers, used to be pretty well regarded. I have read that the 115 gr. had a pretty effective history on the street but dont know how true it is. I have been carrying it for a long time. Ive seen all types of amateur ballistics tests running from the rounds acting almost like ball, to jacket seperation to looking pretty effective. So, atleast in the 115 gr. I have to assume that it's inconsistent. But again, it's old tech. If the 115 gr. does have the tendency to fail to expand (again, dont know if it's true) I can only imagine what the +P+ would act like. I dont know which calibers and loadings were considered good, ok or poor. I just know that the 115 gr was, atleast at one time, considered good SD ammo. Or atleast that was the word. Probably why it's been my SD load forever in my 9mm's and Im just now looking to upgrade.

Last edited by Laudanum; 05-24-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 PM

In 9mm my choice is Gold Dot 147s or 124+p
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook