1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 PM

There were sure alot of people scarfing down on something BBQed and it sure smelled good.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 AM

Wow, this thread really got off track.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM

Guns and BBQ go together.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdf13 View Post
Wow, this thread really got off track.
Everybody got tired of trying to convince the OP that he had bought a loser. So we changed the topic.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Everybody got tired of trying to convince the OP that he had bought a loser. So we changed the topic.
I guess your the forum smartass, I know they all have them, but I find it amazingly funny the ways you choose to reveal your character to everyone. One mans trash is another's treasure, you must be one of the purist that think if it's not original it not worth a dime. We have folks like you on the CMP forum as well. Thanks for you thoughts an opinion I won't post any pics or ask anything else about this RR since it must have been such a burden to you to read the thread and present any form of a mature/knowledgable opinion. Oh wait, looking back in the previous post, you didnt even offer any comment about the pistol. Since you couldnt muster even a thought about this one, you must be one of those guys that just likes to get your post count really high so that others think you must know what your talking about. Otherwise I would think you would be somewhat interested in offering insight to someone new to 1911's.

Even if it has little to no collectability I think any USGI A1 even just a shooter is a good deal at the price I paid if nothing more than a shooter or to restore. I just requested some input and information from those more knowledgable about these than me.

I thank those Of you who had input and constructive criticism.

Last edited by CollectorChris; 05-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM

CollectorChris... I wish the thread didn't go sideways on you. Just keep in mind that there is an intrinsic value of a pistol, and collector value. If someone in this forum says something is worthless, that is the collector value. I think you got a pistol that you enjoy for a price you consider decent. As stated a few times now, that is what really counts.

Last edited by Rob Greer; 05-23-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Chris: I try not to be a 'wise guy' but after all, after the authorities here explained to you why you paid too much, and you continued to try to make it seem like a deal, I guess I gave in to temptation and threw a little 'zinger'. Heck, I am not one of those collectors with the beautiful pristine examples. In fact, everything I have is used, and sometimes well-used, at least in Colts and USGI pistols. Far be it from me to assail someone for trying to get a used one cheap.
Please ask about it here before buying next time - you will get the straight scoop.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Would you care to look back at the post and enlighten me as to how I continued on??? No where in any of my posts did I disagre or rebut their opinion. I stated on e that the FJA was present. Please show me where I did anything other than thank those for their opinion. You saw an opportunity to take a cheap pot shot and did. That is very clear and it was poor form.

But it's all good, there are several members here who assisted me, so your post is just part of the rubbish that came when this subject got off track. I hope I can return the plesantries in the future.

Last edited by CollectorChris; 05-23-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Over it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Off the keyboard, push the chair away and relax for minute, guys. We seem to be having this issue quite often. The OP is aware his pistol isn't mint, but he's still proud of it and to be honest I've seen a heck of a lot worse for the price he paid.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Off the keyboard, push the chair away and relax for minute, guys. We seem to be having this issue quite often. The OP is aware his pistol isn't mint, but he's still proud of it and to be honest I've seen a heck of a lot worse for the price he paid.
I appreciate what you're trying to do Dana, but I take exception.

If OP came here to be made to feel good about what he bought, he should have stated that.

He asked for opinions, including value - that's what he got: Statement of fact and opinion.

After we're off topic, Saxman makes an innocent quip - replete with smiley, and he calls him "smartass", refers to his contribution as "rubbish", and makes some comment about "returning the pleasantries"?

Nothing that was posted is justification - in my opinion - for that behavior.

Not the spirit of what I thought we were building here.

As I said, "over it", and no further goodness coming out of this thread.

Good topic candidate for a lock.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectorChris View Post
Please be honest and brutal if need be, I really want real input on correctness, value, and any other opinions about this one.
Well then, I guess you got your answers. Thread closed.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Closed Thread