1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact there ARE that many guns ahead of you. Probably more like 1000-1500. Every month TRP's, Trophy Matches, Pro's, and any custom jobs all have to get checkered. Be patient, guys. You will be extremely satisfied with the work. Call up some of the other smiths out there, see if they'll even accept your job, let alone turn it around within 3 months. I know it's a pain to wait, but trust me, time will pass and the wait will be more than worth it.
What kinda turn around do you have right now Alchemy? I would guess you should be the closest to SAC for checkering as it gets?

PS We need daily pics of the customs coming through your shop to get our fix in for the day. The Bauer gun looks Great.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the positivity. We end up doing a wide range of different brands of guns. Springfield does as well. If you go with 20LPI checkering, your turnaround will be much faster because those production guns I named use that. The 25 and 30 line jobs tend to have extended wait times because the machine shop waits until they have enough to justifiy setting up and running the job. Make sense? The guy that does these for us has a patent on his process and he's the best in the business.

Our T/A time will be significantly shortened very soon as we will be doing Cerakote in house.

We post pictures almost daily on our facebook page, and we have a blog coming online very soon that will be much more extensive than our website. It is very difficult to update a real website all the time as a "gun guy". Maybe if I knew more about computers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathbar_tx View Post
What kinda turn around do you have right now Alchemy? I would guess you should be the closest to SAC for checkering as it gets?

PS We need daily pics of the customs coming through your shop to get our fix in for the day. The Bauer gun looks Great.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
Thanks for the positivity. We end up doing a wide range of different brands of guns. Springfield does as well. If you go with 20LPI checkering, your turnaround will be much faster because those production guns I named use that. The 25 and 30 line jobs tend to have extended wait times because the machine shop waits until they have enough to justifiy setting up and running the job. Make sense? The guy that does these for us has a patent on his process and he's the best in the business.

Our T/A time will be significantly shortened very soon as we will be doing Cerakote in house.

We post pictures almost daily on our facebook page, and we have a blog coming online very soon that will be much more extensive than our website. It is very difficult to update a real website all the time as a "gun guy". Maybe if I knew more about computers...
Facebook is blocked by my works server but the forum is not.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
I wish you luck. They told me ten weeks, nine weeks ago as well. I sent in my Mil Spec for refinsihing and front strap checkering. This week, I e-mailed them to ask if we were getting close, only to be told it would be another 4-6 weeks because the machine shop was "behind" on checkering. Because my gun cannot be refinished until after the checkering has been done, it has just been sitting there all this time with nothing done to it. So I'm looking at 12-14 weeks total, maybe more. Let's see, 5 days in a week times 14 weeks, I figure 70 days. How many do you reckon they can machine checker in one day, five ? ten ?
Are there 350-700 guns ahead of mine ? Understandable if it were a one man shop but really, 12 weeks wait on machine checkering. Seems like they could give you a number in line and call you to send it in a week or two before they are ready for it. I'm sure there is someone out there with only one 1911. Why should he be without his gun that long. Sorry, after 8 weeks of anything, I get cranky !
I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but in the world of custom work 12-14 weeks is nothing for a wait. My last trip to SACS was 5 months, and my last full custom build (not by SACS) was 16 months. The bottom line is quality work takes time, and more importantly, a quality smith usually has many jobs already ahead of you and only so many jobs can be done at a time.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidemn View Post
I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but in the world of custom work 12-14 weeks is nothing for a wait. My last trip to SACS was 5 months, and my last full custom build (not by SACS) was 16 months. The bottom line is quality work takes time, and more importantly, a quality smith usually has many jobs already ahead of you and only so many jobs can be done at a time.
I have had custom work done on several occasions by quality smiths, so I'm not unfamiliar with the process. As I said, understandable if it were a one man shop, which, I assume, it is not.
My problem is, that at my age, 12-14 weeks is a little more valuable than it was 50 years ago.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
....... My problem is, that at my age, 12-14 weeks is a little more valuable than it was 50 years ago.
+1 Unfortunately, so true.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I have had custom work done on several occasions by quality smiths, so I'm not unfamiliar with the process. As I said, understandable if it were a one man shop, which, I assume, it is not.
My problem is, that at my age, 12-14 weeks is a little more valuable than it was 50 years ago.
Now that I can totally understand. My father and I used to build project cars together but now at almost 70 he'd rather buy a finished hot rod than take time to build it.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM

+ 1 on 70.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 PM

Ol Doc, think of it this way, if you don't get to use it much before leaving this world; your kids will inherit a much more valuable pistol.

In order to receive forgiveness, we must first forgive
Murphy's Law is still in effect
Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
Ol Doc, think of it this way, if you don't get to use it much before leaving this world; your kids will inherit a much more valuable pistol.
Dave, you know and I know, they'd be much more excited inheriting an X Box 360 or whatever they are called !
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM

UPDATE #2:

Called Springfield today and they have not even started on the RO. Have not even took it apart. They are waiting on the checkering department to catch up on the 1---'s of 1911's in front of mine. Oh well! haha. It works out. I just bought a new BMW so I need a little breathing room anyhow.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 AM

All Right ! I got the call. It's on the way back ! They must have really meant 2 weeks instead of 4-6 .
Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM

Got it back today! Really looks nice. That 25 LPI checkering seems a bit sharp but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The Armory Kote seems a little rough. Any ideas on whether I could smooth it up with some 0000 steel wool and oil? Don't want to ruin a new finish but it has worked well at smoothing up rough finishes on entry level Ubertis.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 AM

If your not satisfied with the finish call Springfield they may refinish it on their dime and get it smoothed out for you.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM

Update!

Got a call yesterday morning from Springfield Armory Custom Shop. The Range Officer is finished and on its way back to me. It will be here on thursday. I hope to have pictures up over the weekend of the work. Im excited!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Update!

Got a call yesterday morning from Springfield Armory Custom Shop. The Range Officer is finished and on its way back to me. It will be here on thursday. I hope to have pictures up over the weekend of the work. Im excited!
Over the weekend? If you get it back Thursday we expect to see it by Friday! Lol
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidemn View Post
Over the weekend? If you get it back Thursday we expect to see it by Friday! Lol
LMFAO...

My buddy does semi-professional photogrophy and want him to take the pictures. I have a feeling my cell phone camera wont do it justice and you guys will complain about that anyhow. Soon...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 PM

OK...

Here is a teaser

Camera phone, sorry...

Old 05-25-2012, 11:33 PM

Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 PM

Looks great. My RO has been at SACS for a little over a month now getting similar work done. Should only be about another month or so 'til it's finished.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Well it took nearly 4-5 months for mine to get done. The longest thing is the checking of the front strap. If you are getting that done than dont expect it to be back for another 3 months. once my front strap was done it only took a week to do everything else. They told me 6-8 weeks completed and it was 3x longer than that. there were over 1000 1911s in front of mine from what they told me just to have the checking done...
Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
For that kind of wait I can live with my $10 roll of tread tape for a long time...
I couldn't.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW McVay View Post
I couldn't.
I had the same attitude as him until I bought my Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911 with the front strap checkering and will NEVER go back to tape or plain again. In fact... it was the Sig's fault that I sent the Range Officer in to have the work done in the first place! lmao.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Well it took nearly 4-5 months for mine to get done. The longest thing is the checking of the front strap. If you are getting that done than dont expect it to be back for another 3 months. once my front strap was done it only took a week to do everything else. They told me 6-8 weeks completed and it was 3x longer than that. there were over 1000 1911s in front of mine from what they told me just to have the checking done...
I got the same est when I sent my MCOP in and it only took 7 weeks so I'm being optimistic.

I agree with the checkering but I have no problem controlling guns without them. My Ruger will be on its way to SACS but most likely won't be in line for checkering due to the added lead time.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypop View Post
If your not satisfied with the finish call Springfield they may refinish it on their dime and get it smoothed out for you.
You know, I may do that. In addition to being a bit grainy, I just noticed recently, that whatever coating they used, the markings on the frame, particularly the serial number, are nearly illegible. The finish has almost completely filled the lettering.