1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Compatible parts, commodore 1911

I have a S.A.M. Commodore .45 and I have heard that all Colt Commander parts are compatible, just wondering if this is true.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Yeah, it's essentially a commander length 1911 with a "70's" series configuration. The raised topstrap aside it's pretty standard though parts will/may require fitting. One guy on here has an ATI GIFX which is also a SAM product and he's done a number of mods to it internally and externally...essentially a Commander as well, sans raised and flattened topstrap.

On that note I was wondering what you thought of yours? Two friends of mine have purchased S.A.M. pistols, on the Elite and the other a Commodore and I've been pretty impressed (the one traded the Elite for something he wanted more) and a chain up here known as Fleet Farm is carrying them for 429 for the Commodore and 459 for the Elite...they look so unique and I like the finish on them enough that I'm considering saving for one of each as sort of an oddity in my small yet slowly growing collection of arms.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the info, and I really like the gun it's smooth shooting and small enough for ccw, I've only put about fifty rounds thru it, no jam so far, overall for price you can't beat it!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhitehead View Post
Thanks for the info, and I really like the gun it's smooth shooting and small enough for ccw, I've only put about fifty rounds thru it, no jam so far, overall for price you can't beat it!
True, very true. I despaired at ever finding one for a decent price. My friends both overpaid IMHO at the same gunshow with the same dealer. He wanted right under six for the Commodore and the Elite and seemed to be the only dealer carrying them in my area.

What parts are you thinking of replacing?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM

Well that's what I'm here for I want to learn more about the gun and get some opinions on what I should change to beef it up! I've always been a big shooter and always liked 1911's but I'm new to the gun and want to learn as much as I can. So if any advice, tips, etc. I'm all ears!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Well, this is just my humble and utterly worthless opinion but for the most part if a part is in good working condition I don't change it. A lot of folks'll scream about MIM parts (machine injection molding) but after thousands of rounds my RIA tactical still runs great, no breakages.

A lot of changing out parts comes down to personal preference and the like. Do you want an Ambi-Safety? Different beavertail? Dislike the slide stop? Full length guide rod? Many of these personalize the gun but might do little to improve shootability.

Mills let me dry fire both the Commodore and Elite they had under their counter and I did notice there was more take-up than I like on a trigger. A good trigger isn't a bad investment after you've got a few hundred rounds down the pipe and a feel for the gun. That and barrel bushings, a properly fitted bushing can do more for you accuracy than a tight slide to frame fit. No idea about how well yours shoots or doesn't and I've always advocated trigger time before a guy starts swapping things out.

Reliability? Well, if it shoots a few hundred rounds without jamming and so long as the extractor doesn't send hot brass missiles into your forhead you ought to be good on that as well. Had a friend who bought an AC II used ask me just the other day VIA text how he could improve the reliability of his gun. I asked him if it was unreliable. His response was, "No, the prior owner had quite a few rounds through it and I just but two hundred downrange over the last week." Well, if it's already perfectly reliable and has never failed you it's literally impossible to make it MORE reliable. In fact sometimes you can make it less reliable.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't modify their guns. Heck, I hope the gunsmithing program I'm looking to attend will let me bring in the Commodore should I get it so I can work on it during the school year. The most awesome thing about the 1911 is how much a guy can make it his own. I do think sometimes people get a case of "Strip it downitis" right off the bat and I apologize If I've rambled a bit.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 AM

No exactly the info I've been looking for, I feel the same way as far as if it's reliable then why fix it. I just want to learn about what could be done to it. I like the gun how it is but I'm definitely looking in to buying more 1911's, Im here to learn so that's why I asked the question about the compatible parts, I've always enjoyed the 1911 and now that I have one I want as much knowledge as I can get!