1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 PM

GI Micro compact

Sort of an intro thread I suppose, been reading a ton on here and figured I should post up. Anyway, I picked this up about a month ago as my main carry pistol. Only thing I'd like to change so far is the hammer, I'd prefer something other than the spur.

The Taurus I bought in January but haven't put many rounds through it.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:06 AM

I was looking at one of those last gun show? Let us know how it shoots.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Yes, let us know how it performs. I just picked up one last night myself and looking forward to seeing what it shoots like.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM

I'm hoping to get out this weekend but I'm sure the range will be rather busy with the crazy nice weather for this time of year.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 PM

I also just picked up one of these little guys. They are a pretty cool piece of kit.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 PM

congrats.

Colt Stainless Officer's Model,Springfield Stainless Loaded,Sig C3,Kimber Ultra Carry 2,Springfield MilSpec
Old 03-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Congrats on the Springer and welcome to the forum!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 PM

I have owned one for a couple years. I had the beavertail and hammer replaced. It doesnt bite into the hand as bad now. I also added night sights.

The sights are OK but didnt add much, Other than three dots.

The beavertail has the bigger bump and was ordered through brownells, same for the hammer. They were drop ins so the frame didnt have to be ground into.

I aslo had a trigger job, $50.

I reload and it took a while to get good with it. At first I couldnt hit anything.

I own a full size Loaded 1911 and it hits right where I want it. Now I run a couple magazines through it every weekend to keep up on it.

Small 1911's are picky on ammunition. The ramp is sharper than a full size and not all hollowpoints will go through. SWC that i use for my 45 colt feed (Odd) and of course round nose.

I could have been fine with the origional sights. But reccomend changeing the beavertail and hammer, and a trigger job.

And good luck on a 3 inch holster compared to the 3 1/5 holster
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 AM

Well, finally managed to get some rounds down range. It's a bit snappier than my full size but shoots nice. Kicks brass in an unpleasant manner though, had a few come back and hit me in the head. Fed 230 grain FMJs and 185 grain JHPs without any issues. Twice when i loaded my Taurus mags into it (8rd mags) they fed too deep but that was my fault I think. Overall I'm pleased with the gun but really think a trigger job would help a lot, I didn't care for the way the current trigger feels.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate09 View Post
Well, finally managed to get some rounds down range. It's a bit snappier than my full size but shoots nice. Kicks brass in an unpleasant manner though, had a few come back and hit me in the head. Fed 230 grain FMJs and 185 grain JHPs without any issues. Twice when i loaded my Taurus mags into it (8rd mags) they fed too deep but that was my fault I think. Overall I'm pleased with the gun but really think a trigger job would help a lot, I didn't care for the way the current trigger feels.
I believe brass in the face is due to an extractor issue. however this problem can be caused by an ejector being is too long.

Last edited by JasonC; 05-20-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 PM

jmho but seems it hard to make a real decision on how anything is or isn't til a gun has been fired a few hundred times. I have been hit in the face by my gun in the past and on the next outing not even close and the trigger won't be broke in for a while but snap caps and nightly practice will speed that portion up. I know you already know all this i just had to type it to make myself feel important I really hope you do enjoy your new gun it is a .45 so we all know it's super cool
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM

I bought it used so I'm unsure of the actual round count, but its not brand new.