1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM

I have the Kimber super carry ultra .45 and shot 20 rounds of the hornady zombie max today. I checked the ammo prior to loading and I could not detect any part of the rubber tipped area that protruded out in front of the jacket. I was going to take a knife and try to trim off what might stick out past the jacket because of some of the posts I have read here, but couldn't feel any to trim. I say this because I wonder if hornady changed the ammo since it may have been causing ftf jams. Anyway, of the 20 rounds I fired, all cycled thru fine with no problems. I wanted to shoot a box because this will probably be my carry ammo. I have also seen an ammo called Pow-R-Ball by Corbon that I may try. Anyone tried this? I love this kimber. Retired LEO here and qualified today and had a grouping of 2" to 3" at different distances up to 25 yards. I can't come close to this with my Glock 23, even though the barrel is about 1 1/4" longer. Love it, Love it, Love it.....did I say I love this Kimber?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44 View Post
I have the Kimber super carry ultra .45 and shot 20 rounds of the hornady zombie max today. I checked the ammo prior to loading and I could not detect any part of the rubber tipped area that protruded out in front of the jacket. I was going to take a knife and try to trim off what might stick out past the jacket because of some of the posts I have read here, but couldn't feel any to trim. I say this because I wonder if hornady changed the ammo since it may have been causing ftf jams. Anyway, of the 20 rounds I fired, all cycled thru fine with no problems. I wanted to shoot a box because this will probably be my carry ammo. I have also seen an ammo called Pow-R-Ball by Corbon that I may try. Anyone tried this? I love this kimber. Retired LEO here and qualified today and had a grouping of 2" to 3" at different distances up to 25 yards. I can't come close to this with my Glock 23, even though the barrel is about 1 1/4" longer. Love it, Love it, Love it.....did I say I love this Kimber?
There're many folks that swear by the Pow-r-ball and many rushing to buy the Hornady ammo, but so far I have not seen a reason to choose either of these over other, more proven designs.

Quote:
Love it, Love it, Love it.....did I say I love this Kimber?
That's okay, we'll forgive you this time.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM

I had a FNP 45 that wouldnt chamber the Critical Defense but would chamber the Zombies ... go figure. No problem with the CD after some break in but when new it didnt like the pink/red plug but was fine with the green one Probably just a tolerance thing between the rounds and nothing to do with the plug. I didnt have a large sample size to compare, just a couple boxes of each.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor1911 View Post
I purchased some Zombie ammo by hornady that is having a issue feeding due to the rubber stop inside the hollow point. Its obvious these would not be best round for self defense even though they are amazing rounds for the price. Besides hydro shock what other extremely aggressive self defense rounds would you fellas suggest?
Is it just me or does anybody else think that a lawyer would have a field day defending someone that got shot with "zombie" ammo?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM

The "nastiest" SD Round I know of is the Winchester Ranger-T but Personally I like Rem Golden Sabers "at least until I can find components to load the ranger-T
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLFED View Post
Is it just me or does anybody else think that a lawyer would have a field day defending someone that got shot with "zombie" ammo?
I think we've discussed this -- and beaten this topic to death.

Frank answer is this:

Just like the famous argument about using reloads, no case has ever made issue of reloads or any other special type of ammo being extra deadly. None. Nada. There is no legal precedent to support any fears of this.

It has been mentioned as a possible complication by a prosecutor in New Jersey, but it has never actually been used against a defendant.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Cool, thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post

Frank answer is this:

Just like the famous argument about using reloads, no case has ever made issue of reloads or any other special type of ammo being extra deadly. None. Nada. There is no legal precedent to support any fears of this.

It has been mentioned as a possible complication by a prosecutor in New Jersey, but it has never actually been used against a defendant.
Massad Ayoob talks about it from time to time and recommends against using handloads, but I also have never heard of a specific example of such a case being made by a prosecutor.

Although it's civil and not criminal, an example of this argument would be the products liability lawsuit filed against Winchester after the train platform shooting in the early 90's. The plaintiff attempted to make the case that the Black Talon bullets were "extra deadly," but the court rejected this argument because, as they reasoned, all self defense ammunition was designed to be deadly; a bullet's propensity to cause tissue damage and kill is obviously not a "design defect" for the purposes of tort liability.

Last edited by Aaron45; 05-20-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackShot! View Post
The "nastiest" SD Round I know of is the.....
Comments like that don't help either. A wound cavity that results in death is just that, it doens't matter the shape of destroyed flesh, it's destroyed. The media likes to use comments like that, and use demonizing words like "deadly hollow point" as if they'd rather see FMJ instead. Then there's the marketing that works because people eat it up. Zombies? Geez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
The best quote yet! Maybe we should use some "nasty" SD, Zombie killing, tank piercing, deadly, exploding "hollow point bullets" to kill it for good.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-21-2012, 01:22 PM

I've had good luck with Winchester Bonded PDX1 230gr. All my 1911's like it and it is hot for a round not rated as +P. Penetration and expansion are good!!