1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm looking for another American Classic and I have to say the logo thing in the hammer turns me off too. If I end up with another one that will be the first thing to go.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:43 PM

I have the Commander size and I hate the logo thing in the hammer also so I cut it out with a carbide bit on my Foredom tool. I will say those hammers are hard as heck but it is possible. After de-horning and some tuning this is my favorite pistol to carry and shoot.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 AM

If I could remove the logo without messing up the hammer, I would probably do so. But I would want the right set up and tools. Otherwise I would just probably replace the whole ignition system and be done with it.

That said, this 1911 unquestionably has an excellent out of the box trigger pull. Virtually no creep, and literally breaks like glass. No question this contributes the excellent accuracy. And it has only improved with use.

I know that this is very much a production gun. But If I did not have this knowledge, it would be very hard to convince me that these parts were not mated from the factory. Unless something breaks, I'll be very reluctant to make changes.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM

I replaced the whole ignition system with a C&S kit on my ACII, but mine didn't come with that IMO "goofy" hammer. If I do another one it will either be the C&S kit again or the new kit from EGW. I'm going a EGW kit in my Ruger SR1911.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Had some time on my hands today, went to Lowe's and purchased the Tungsten Carbide Cutter to try and remove the logo with my Dremel. This is what they recommend for hardened steel.

To say that the hammer is extremely hard is an understatement. The logo in the hammer is equally tough. I should have bought two cutting tools as I broke the first one. Began by cutting horizontally in the middle of the logo. Then came back with the smallest cone shape grinder, followed by sanding and polishing.

After cutting the logo out, got to admit it looks 100% better. Used the slow speed and took my time. I left the original finish on the sides, top, and back, with the inside polished and in the white.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 PM

I know, I know, pictures or did not happen.

It would seem the lock time may also improve as well as the looks. Shot her again today, and still very impressed with my $450 purchase.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Nice work, looks like what I will be doing to mine soon, glad to know what involved. Thanks for the writeup and pix.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Thank you. All work was done with hammer removed, and final sanding was done with two different smaller diameter wooden dowels wrapped with fine grade sand paper. Could not find small diameter attachments for the Dremel for this work.

It can be done if you are willing.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM

I may try that as well, I hat the way the hammer looks now. Good job David.

Have any of you changed out your MSH or Grip Safeties?

I got a Wilson Grip Safety here in the EE and it doesn't even come close to fitting, the ACII Grip safety is a weird slim cut. Mine isn't fitted very well and it will pinch the web of my hand at the pivot point occasionally.

I also tried swapping out the stock MSH for an arched one, the one I had on hand wouldn't fit, seemed like it was just a bit too wide.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 PM

I just got my new ACII last month. Only about 200 rounds through it, and not a single problem. By far the most accurate gun out of the box that I have ever shot. I own Sigs, glocks, H&K's, and many others, but this is my new favorite. I recommend this gun to anyone who is thinking about getting a 1911 and doesn't want to enter the $1000 dollar price range.
Attached Thumbnails
1911.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorvan View Post
now i was hearing that other pistols in the "suggested" price range (500.00+) like Springfield etc were at the least, comparable in quality to the American classicII if not a bit better...especially given that the springer and the like were roughly 50-100.00 more....any truth to this? im sure its all subjective.

i figure worse case is that i am forced to use it as a platform to build a custom 1911...which is what i intend to do...just depends on what is staying and what is going. i might ditch the factory sights and go with a mobar style and optic front, ambi safety (im a lefty) different grips, switch out the springs...

we'll see how the firing pin, extractor and barrel do for a while though as im not quite proficiant at self modifying my 1911s yet
Many "entry level" 1911's approach $1k price point. Offerings from Kimber, Sig,
Springfield, STI are all MSRP $800. +.
Difficult to find buyer with $1000. cash that is looking for the weapon you are building. Better to "Shoot the pis*" out of your pistol, spend money on ammo and training. When ready to sell and move up you'll recover your investment, and have partial payment on the weapon you want. Grips are ok, you can pull them when you sell, put orig back. Safeties, sights, will be few hundred you'll never see again. Springs are inexpensive, and part of maintainence. JMO
Old 05-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Ma acii

This is the best value in a 1911 for your money IMO.

Mine is 100% reliable with Wilson Combat mags, and is the most accurate

stock 1911 I have ever shot.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 PM

I just shot an IDPA match with mine today and it ran great. For the price, its a reliable and beautiful 1911.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 PM

mine's a tack driver... no issues
Attached Thumbnails
target muzzle.gif  

Last edited by JWC5801; 03-10-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
Many "entry level" 1911's approach $1k price point. Offerings from Kimber, Sig,
Springfield, STI are all MSRP $800. +.
Difficult to find buyer with $1000. cash that is looking for the weapon you are building. Better to "Shoot the pis*" out of your pistol, spend money on ammo and training. When ready to sell and move up you'll recover your investment, and have partial payment on the weapon you want. Grips are ok, you can pull them when you sell, put orig back. Safeties, sights, will be few hundred you'll never see again. Springs are inexpensive, and part of maintainence. JMO
Some of the best advice I have read here, would do wisely to follow.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHensley View Post
Some of the best advice I have read here, would do wisely to follow young Grasshopper
that's what I thought i read???
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
Hey all, new to the board here and a die hard 1911 fan. I have a new AC2 on the way, and the anticipation is killing me. I looked at the RIA and Citadel and was about to order the RIA TAC when Buds sent the email that the AC2 was back in stock so I ordered within 5 minutes. THis firearms seems to have every single thing I wanted in a .45 but one thing irks me, the "logo" inside the hammer. I was thinking about dremeling it out when I get it, rather than having a gunsmith install a new hammer. Without having my hands on it, do you guys think its possible?
It is certainly possible do do well, with the right tools, but installing a new hammer is relatively easy. Some, not all, drop in and so it should be inexpensive to have done if you are not comfortable working on it yourself.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorvan View Post
i read some really good reviews of this pistol so i bought on on GB for 380.00

im still skeptical on the Price point but they say its comparable to pistols hundreds of dollars more...

anybody know anything about them?
I was impressed with how it racked and the overall build was surprisingly good. Like you, I was leary and passed on it. But it left an impression. Prolly wouldn't hesitate on it if I was looking for a range toy. I was in the market for a carry at the time.

When I was comparing it to the Remington R1 side by side, overall, comparable. You probably made a good buy for the money.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Let me tell you what's wrong with my American Classic Government Model.

I load it with all kinds of ammo from cheap Russain ammo to name brand in both FMJ and JHP and none of those rounds get jammed, and I've done that over 1,000 times!

And if you think that's bad, I tried using cheap GI mags ($5.95 ea) and all kinds including Wilson Combat and Chip McCormack mags and have not any any feed issues.

With all that, how can a guy get in any malfunction practice?

"I Miss America"

Last edited by qwiksdraw; 03-12-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM

I tried using cheap GI mags ($5.95 ea)

where are these at??
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM

I have had the AC II in hard chrome and it shoot great, trigger is unbelieveable too. Only thing I notices on mine is the quality of finish on main spring housing is poor, but that being said it didn't cost $1300 either.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield View Post
where are these at??
Cheaper Than Dirt has (had) them and I found some at a gun show.

"I Miss America"
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Boy Iam glad I have a very low serial number AC .Mine was a gift from the President of Eagle Imports

I don't have the problem with the hammer Mine came plain . I didn't relize so many people dislike it.
I will pass this on up the chain . I really doubt It will do much good but I will pass it on.

We have a board its growing slowly but growing come visit and join

http://americanclassic1911forum.com
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM

I just picked an unfired ACII Commander up over the weekend as a trade, sees like the fit + finish is pretty nice for a product at its price range. Hearing the blueing problems, I'll probably send out my frame to get cerakoted at some point (since its the duo tone). Looking forward to finding + affording enough ammo to go to the range with it
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post

I don't have the problem with the hammer Mine came plain . I didn't relize so many people dislike it.
I will pass this on up the chain . I really doubt It will do much good but I will pass it on.
The Metro Arms insignia in the hammer bothered me for a while when I first got my ACII. Now it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it's rather grown on me.
My complaints about my ACII:
1. The mag catch needs to be changed as magazines don't seat high enough which causes some FTF issues, typically with the first round in a magazine.
2. The finish is wearing prematurely. Admittedly, I have fondled it quite a bit (practice draws, dry firing).
3. The front sight just slid out of the dovetail after the last trip to the shooting range.

On the positive side:
1. The fit is tight. No slop.
2. Accuracy!!! Holy Cow can this thing group!!!
3. Price. Great value for the money