1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 AM

Post WWII commercial Colt 1911 ?

A friend has a post-World War II commercial Colt 1911 45 ACP which he bought new in the 1950s. Five-inch blued.

Still has some of the rounds in the one box of factory ammo he bought the same day he purchased the pistol.

Been kept cleaned and oiled all its life. No rust.

With maybe a change in the springs, any reason this gun would not be as good as anything being made today ?

Last edited by Hammer1; 05-14-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Does it have the box? If so, can I have his phone number?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Banned

I would think by the early 1950's the steel Colt was using was probably excellent. The steel used during the WW2 years was of lesser quality due to shortages & rationing etc.

Would love to see some pictures.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
With maybe a change in the springs, any reason this gun would not be as good as anything being made today ?
If springs were not set or stayed relaxed or had lots of actual, you know, use, it should be good to go as is. (but no problem replacing springs if needed).

Sights might be a tad smallish compared to todays usual offering (geezer dot sights, which I need for fast sight picture w/ old eyes... YMMV)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM

He also has a 38 Super purchased at the same time.

All the ammo purchased on the same day is still in the box and this gun is unfired.

Guess it would be OK too.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Both pistols are considered collectible these days if still in like-new condition. If they still have the original box and papers, and in 98% conditon about $1800 for the .45 and $2200 for the .38 Super. Without the box, subtract about $200 from those figures. While either pistol will still "do" for today's uses, for what they're worth your friend could easily trade either of them in for a nice modern 1911 with custom features and still have money left over.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM

I have a "C" prefix Colt made in 1947. This pistol had been modified by a bullseye shooter to be his "hardball" gun, with a Mirco rear sight. When I acquired the pistol, it had about 85% of the original bluing left but, coverage was "spotty". The milling of the rear sight slot destroyed the collector value.

I kept it like that for a couple of years and then sent it to Mr. Birdwell to receive the Black-T treatment. This pistol has had more than a couple of thousand rounds through it since then and has never missed a beat.

Although the pistols acquired by your friend are, IMO, safe to shoot, others have already stated reasons why he may wish to reconsider based on value.

What ever he decides, I hope he enjoys them!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:19 PM

Low bullet count and the 50's. I'll take his number also.

Last edited by burkherm1; 05-14-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM

The unfired '50s Government Model could be valued at over $2000. As far as durability and suitability for any and all uses, there has never been a better one made. The slides for example were the first fully-hardened ones on the market and are highly sought-after today for use in a custom pistol.
Please think before taking the gun out shooting and throwing away half it's value.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Today I went and took fresh photos of my dad's 1966 Government Model. In all of these years of use I have never seen it malfunction, despite the fact that it's bone stock!

BTW it's now on its fourth set of Incredible Shrinking Grips(TM). Hopefully these will last awhile before they too shrink beyond use.

Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:38 AM

Those stocks look vaguely familiar...
Bob