1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 PM

Here's My Upgrade Spec Sheet For My SA Loaded, Anything Missing?

Ok i've been shooting my SA Loaded for quite sometime now and i've got the itch to start upgrading some parts as well as making my 1911 as "business like as possible" i'm going to send my 1911 to Dave Helton of dvcustom.com to have the work done. We've emailed back and forth a few times and I feel he is the correct gunsmith for the job.

Here are the upgrades i'm planning

$45 Match Barrel Brushing
$150 20 LPI Front Strap Checkering
$65 Trigger Job
$100 Magwell MSH
$125 Refinish Pistol to Satin Black (I don't like the parkerized finish)

Anything else i'm missing?
Sig Sauer P226
Kimber CDP Pro II
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Are you happy with the sights, and have you thought about different grips perhaps ?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 PM

Match bushing, but no match grade barrel...? Honestly those are the only things I would change on my loaded. I guess I can see the draw to the other things though...especially the finish. Parkerizing done right (A'la Springfield) I like. Parkerizing done "good enough" well...not a fan.

Then again the difference between my 2 pistols might be the difference between zinc and manganese phosphate solutions for all I know.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Get EGW oversize Carry Bevel bushing.
For me a De-horn, knock down all the sharp edges.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM

I would also add an EGW squared firing pin stop and unless you are lefty, a single strong sided thumb safety. Those SA ambi safeties suck. Since you are getting a trigger job, I would not get it done on those MIM parts. Order up a C&S ignition kit (or other) and have them do the TJ and install on tool steel parts that will last. Also have them pin your ejector....SA glues them in and are notorious for coming loose. The hole is already in the frame for the pin.

PS....have them leave a bottom border on the strap checkering....looks so much more refined. but its your likes in the end.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM

How about undercut the trigger gaurd? I like the Baer style myself. They might as well since they'll have to refinish the frame from the checkering.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM

I've been thinking of doing an EGW brushing. However I need the tool to measure the barrel.

Also here are pictures of my Loaded, should I get it refinished? Or keep it parkerized?
Attached Thumbnails
1337282159.jpg  
Sig Sauer P226
Kimber CDP Pro II
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMrWright7 View Post
I've been thinking of doing an EGW brushing. However I need the tool to measure the barrel.

Also here are pictures of my Loaded, should I get it refinished? Or keep it parkerized?
If you get the frontstrap checkering done, you will have to get it refinished. You could just have it re-parked though. If it was mine and I was doing the checkering, I would go with the armory kote finish. Plus you already stated that you did not really like the parkerized finish - I would stick to my 1st inclination on that if I was you.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
If you get the frontstrap checkering done, you will have to get it refinished. You could just have it re-parked though. If it was mine and I was doing the checkering, I would go with the armory kote finish. Plus you already stated that you did not really like the parkerized finish - I would stick to my 1st inclination on that if I was you.

I might get all of the mods done like the front strap checkering, magwell, trigger job, and barrel brushing. Then send the loaded to SA Custom shop for the armory note finish.
Sig Sauer P226
Kimber CDP Pro II
Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM

So I think i'm going to go the EGW route to get my match brushing. How would I go about measuring it out? Also I see angled brushings, what are those?
Sig Sauer P226
Kimber CDP Pro II
Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM

If you are going to send pistol in for armory kote, why not just have SA do the custom works? SA custom shop is top notch, the price and turn around time is more than reasonable.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
If you are going to send pistol in for armory kote, why not just have SA do the custom works? SA custom shop is top notch, the price and turn around time is more than reasonable.
I've been thinking about doing that. But after speaking to Dave from dvcustom.com i'm thinking he's more than qualified to handle the job.
Sig Sauer P226
Kimber CDP Pro II
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Bushing, no 'r' unless ur a pirate, then its.. arrrrr
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMrWright7 View Post
So I think i'm going to go the EGW route to get my match brushing. How would I go about measuring it out? Also I see angled brushings, what are those?
The angled bushing from EGW means that the inside of the bushing is machined to match the angle of the barrel as it moves slightly from lockup.

In other words, as your slide moves to the rear and cycles your barrel will move down/drop down slightly as it moves out of lockup with the slide. When this happens the muzzle end of the barrel is now at a small angle (not perfectly square) with the slide as the slide moves to the rear. EGW machines the inside of their angled bushing to match this angle and the result is an extremely precision-made bushing that stays "square" with the barrel at all times/points during the slide cycling. To my knowledge, EGW is the only company that is currently doing this with a bushing.

If you are going with an EGW bushing - go with the angled bushing. It is their best one available. It is the bushing that I went with on my loaded and it has been flawless!

As for the calipers - you can pick up a pair for about $20 at any auto parts store. Once you have it - measure the OD (outside diameter) of the muzzle end of your barrel. Write that down.
Then measure the ID (inside diameter) of your slide at the point where the bushing fits in (at the end). Write that measurement down.

Give both of these measurements to EGW at the time you place your order. You will not be dissapointed!

Last edited by bartwatkins; 05-18-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 AM

why send your customized Loaded to SA for only a refinish??? Armory Coat is nothing great to send it there for...so many better coatings than a painted spray and bake. seriously.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 PM

On the 20 LPI Front Strap Checkering have you held one in your hands to make sure you will like them???
Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Some of the things I had done on my two pistols.
Match barrel and bushing.
Mild carry bevel.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Some of the things I had done on my two pistols.
Match barrel and bushing.
Mild carry bevel.
I had bushing fitted, accuracy is there.
I'm sending mine to SACS for the carry bevel, Can we see a pic of yours?
Before and after?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildave1911 View Post
why send your customized loaded to sa for only a refinish??? Armory coat is nothing great to send it there for...so many better coatings than a painted spray and bake. Seriously.
+1

A 1911 Addict
Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Here is my spec sheet. I hope it helps...

Rob Schauland of Alchemy Custom Weaponry is finishing my Loaded as we speak....His work is incredible. I have alot of 1911's and you just have to be happy on your upgrades....Make sure you have shot at least 500-1000 rounds through it. I shot my dirty and then shot another 500 with cleanings after every 100 to play with it a little

Change MSH with 30 LPI checkering on the backstrap
Checker back strap 30 LPI
Change barrel: any suggestions ; mainly used for HD AND IDPA
Crown Barrel
Thick bushing and flange
VZ grips Operator
#4 trigger weight
Colt cut under trigger guard
S&A magwell
Nub slide stop

Thanks

Last edited by QuePsiPhiSmkr; 05-19-2012 at 08:09 AM.