1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Chat & Game Schedule

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 AM

Mass Effect Series

Anyone else here playing this series? I've completed both the original and the sequel. Am now just getting into Mass Effect 3 as of last night. Successfully imported my Level 30 character into the game and hit the ground running.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM

I've played both ME and ME2, and found both to be very good games. Let me know how you like ME3. I've been planning to buy it, but not until I beat Skyrim. I have a bad habit of buying a new game then forgetting about the one I'm currently playing, then I have to start over.

I was also debating whether or not to get ME3, because I've heard 2nd and 3rd hand accounts of the ending not being very good, but my close friend loves it, and I read however it ends (I was careful not to step on spoiler mines) was how they intended it to end all along.
“These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.”
-Thomas Paine-
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM

ME 3 is a fantastic title, it builds perfectly on the first 2. The ending is appropriate and ill leave it at that.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM

I have all 3 and have finished ME3 twice now. I did not mind the ending until I found out it's the same ending for everyone no matter their choices. Bioware promised "Wildly different endings based on your choices" but did not deliver. The combat is fantastic.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Yeah, big ME fan here as well. I play a fair amount of ME3 multiplayer (biding my time till DUST 514). A very well done game, and Bioware is addressing a lot of the complaints about endings with either DLC or free patches. They're a great company to support.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technetium-99m View Post
ME 3 is a fantastic title, it builds perfectly on the first 2. The ending is appropriate and ill leave it at that.
Thank you. See, I can live with that. When I was first told that the ending "sucked", my first thought was, "well, that's your opinion". My fiancee and I were talking about it as parallel to Red Dead Redemption. She HATED the ending, but I thought it was totally appropriate.
“These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.”
-Thomas Paine-
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkman View Post
I have all 3 and have finished ME3 twice now. I did not mind the ending until I found out it's the same ending for everyone no matter their choices. Bioware promised "Wildly different endings based on your choices" but did not deliver. The combat is fantastic.
This is what has had me worried since reading the complaints about how it ends. I haven't read HOW it ends...and don't want to, either! But, if it's the same no matter what, then that does disturb me based on the promises of choices making a difference.

Bioware does have a good history of treating their fans properly, though. So, hopefully, we'll get this matter fixed rather soon.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM

Yeah I have played all three Im in the "great game bad ending" group though. That said I would be perfectly willing to accept the current ending had it just been one of many possible but as others have mentioned we were promised "wildly different endings" and did not get them.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM

That was a little surprising to find out, that the ending was the same. I think it was in ME2 where the endings were really different depending on what you chose. If you think about it though, if the story is "Reapers are here, going to destroy the entire universe", it stands to reason that there are only two possible endings: 1.) Reapers destroy the universe, 2.) Reapers don't destroy the universe. It seems your choices would really only determine whether on not you are successful in saving the universe.
-Thomas Paine-
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM

Greatwhite- Fair enough, but I think the reason why so many people feel so strongly is because bioware kept talking about a "perfect ending" which that statement combined with the in-game dialogue in ME1 and ME2 where they talk about Shepard getting married or at least living happily ever after really made people (myself included) believe that it should be possible (even if extremely difficult) to get a "happy ever after perfect ending". But such is life, in the end it's a game and my $50 got me well over 50 hours of entertainment. I wish there was a value like that in the firearms world.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1911 View Post
Greatwhite- Fair enough, but I think the reason why so many people feel so strongly is because bioware kept talking about a "perfect ending" which that statement combined with the in-game dialogue in ME1 and ME2 where they talk about Shepard getting married or at least living happily ever after really made people (myself included) believe that it should be possible (even if extremely difficult) to get a "happy ever after perfect ending". But such is life, in the end it's a game and my $50 got me well over 50 hours of entertainment. I wish there was a value like that in the firearms world.
In the end, I think that's what we're all looking for. Just our money's worth of entertainment. I just finished Skyrim last night, with something in the ballpark of 74 hours into the game. If Mass Effect 3 is 50 hours of gameplay comparable to the other two, I imagine its worth the money. I like the story and back story, and as long as the end makes sense, I'll live. I'll let you know for sure in a month or so when I beat it =P
-Thomas Paine-
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Absolutely terrific series, I have nothing but good things to say about it
Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 AM

I, FINALLY, finished ME3 just a little while ago. (I don't get in a big hurry with games like this as I tend to milk them for all their worth. ;-) )

I can say this about the ending: It certainly puts "FINALE" on the series. While some have stated negative things about it, I actually felt it was a very fitting end to a great game series.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM

I finished ME3 about a month ago. I also finished the other games in the series and read a few of the books. I have to say the ending left me a little disappointed but I guess I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting.

They certainly know how to make something 'epic' though..