1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM

Super Match II

Hello all! I'm here asking for anyone with any info for help regarding a Super Match II that I am thinking about buying. First, let me introduce myself. My name is Steve and I have been quietly visiting this site and soaking up as much info as I can. I am director of firearms training and range master for my police department. I currently carry a Custom TLE/RL II with Surefire X300 attached as my duty weapon, and an Eclipse Pro off duty. I have owned 2 Colt 1911's in the past that I regret getting rid of. I own many other handguns and rifles from different manufacturers. I am a 1911 armorer. In short, I am not new to guns.

I came across this Super Match II being sold from someone's private collection. The owner told me he bought it new in the early to mid 2000's and shot it once, then put it away in his safe. I have the gun in my possession and everything I see leads me to believe him. It's obvious this gun hasn't even been broken in yet. During my research I haven't been able to find anything about a SM II with a stainless finish slide. My other concern is the external extractor. What will my options be if during/after I break in the gun the external extractor gives me problems. I'm pretty sure Kimber won't warranty this second hand older gun. My TLE/RL II originally came with the external extractor. I had lots of problems with it and it went back to Kimber and they fit it with a new slide with the internal. Thanks for reading and for any info you may have.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 PM

They may still swap the slide if and when it actually has problems. There have been recent threads by guys who they've done it for. For a short while, it seemed they were trying to replace the parts, while they had them I guess.

As far as 2nd owner, no sweat. A real issue will be addressed. The key is the price of the gun since it has the EE. I'd consider it for the right price, which would at least cover shipping costs plus, if I needed to send it in.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
They may still swap the slide if and when it actually has problems. There have been recent threads by guys who they've done it for. For a short while, it seemed they were trying to replace the parts, while they had them I guess.

As far as 2nd owner, no sweat. A real issue will be addressed. The key is the price of the gun since it has the EE. I'd consider it for the right price, which would at least cover shipping costs plus, if I needed to send it in.

Thanks for your reply. What would you consider the "right price"? Would you consider $1000 in the ball park? Also, do you have any info on the slide's finish and what that might do to the price?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM

The Super Match has always had KimPro but the slide is/was stainless steel. It was possible to order one without the KimPro.

I'd be wary of the external extractor only because they don't make the parts anymore. But.....being that it is a Super Match and Kimber's flagship gun, I can't imagine that they wouldn't replace the slide if the extractor gave you problems.

If you could get it for 1K, I'd say it would be a very good price. MSRP (which nobody pays) back in 2004 was in the 1800 - 1900 range. Today it's about 2250 or so.

Last edited by Kruzr; 05-12-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 PM

Had a similar dilemna with a Team Match II External Extractor a few yrs ago. I himmed and hawed about it for a few months as the gun store couldn't get rid of the pistol since Kimber had discontinued the E.E. models.

I ran into the guy who ultimately bought the pistol at the reduced price 4-5yrs ago and he says that it shoots great with no problems. I kinda regret not buying the pistol when I had the chance.

I guess I might ask him if he'll let you test fire the weapon. If you get it for $1000 and it shoots fine, then you are probably getting a good deal. I bought a new Super Match II for $1691 last yr, so a $691 savings would be pretty good IMO.

Good Luck!

BDT
-Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Team Match II, Kimber Gold Match II, Kimber Custom TLE II, Kimber Eclipse 10mm, Kimber Warrior, Kimber SIS Custom RL, Kimber SIS Ultra, Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD, Kimber Ultra Raptor, Kimber Crimson Carry II Pro, Kimber Crimson Carry II Ultra, Kimber Grand Raptor II.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:57 AM

A Super Match II is the answer if ultimate Kimber accuracy is what you have in mind.

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637