1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 04-29-2010, 06:48 PM

D&L Sports. Compared with other companies.

Hi . i would really like to know your opinion on the D&L Sports 1911. they seem to do a really nice job. Do any of you guys have any, and are they any good?and how do they compare to other companies like nighthawk,wilson,ed brown or springfield?BTW, the The Professional Model - Six Inch Longslide looks amazing!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Hi. I don't own one and I have never fired one. I have heard positive things about them from people who should know. Wish I could tell you more, just a D&L ignoramus...
Old 05-01-2010, 06:48 PM

They are full-house custom 1911s built to be 100% reliable in the most extreme environments. While the semi-custom guns (i.e Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, etc.) are wonderful guns, Dave Lauck's 1911s are in a totally different category. Please take a good, long look at his website and read his comments on building reliable 1911s. You will be amazed! He builds everything from scratch--that's right--from scratch. No shortcuts, no low grade steels (only bar-stock steel, 4140 steel, and 416 ss for barrels, etc.), no subcontracted parts, no cheap magazines, and some bomb-proof, proprietary parts. And, if you will read the reviews, then I think you will agree. In his training facility, he has a few Professional Models with over 300,000 rds. through them with no breakage of parts! The spec-ops soliders seem to stake their lives on his weapons. Hope this helps you out.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM

I've never handled one but Dave has a great reputation for putting out a top notch 1911.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM

For what they are, I think they are overpriced.....
Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
I have never handled a D & L personally, but I believe that there are other smiths out there who offer better value without giving up anything in reliability or accuracy. If you do a search over on ar15.com's 1911 forum, you can a particular story where D&L performed, (and tried to charge), for work and add ons not requested, without communicating anything to the customer. When the customer requested that some of the additional things not be done, the response was that, in that case, D&L couldn't guarantee the function of the gun.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Has anyone handled a 1911 from D & L Sports? From what I have read they seem to be very well thought out, but that maybe slanted in their favor for they wrote the release.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 PM

I have a CR-45 that Dave built for me over 2 years ago. It is utterly reliable, no matter the ammo. Yes, they are pricey, but worth EVERY penny spent when it comes to being able to protect my family. I own a number of high end and total custom built 1911's, my Lauck is always my daily carry. I think some people are put off when dealing with him because he does not engage in chit chat. He always picks up the phone when I call him, never hesitates in responding to a question. The only negative thing I can think of when it comes to him... when he is elected sheriff of Carbon County, he will spend less time gunsmithing. That will our loss. My CR-45 functions perfectly, POA is POI, no flyers when shooting. I would tell you to call him and talk with him about what you are looking for, and then LISTEN when he lets you in on years of experience and learning.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 PM

I agree with you Ziplock. And yes, there are other excellent craftsman that can build fine 1911s, but Mr. Lauck reminds me of the fine Italian shotgun makers--they build everything from scatch with great pride. And like you, I'd rather invest in a 100% reliable, custom 1911 when it comes down to life or death!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 AM

My Dave Lauck "Professional Model" is my favorite firearm, over all the German-made Sigs, Colt, Kimber, Glocks and S&W that I've owned. Don't get me wrong...I like all of the above. But the Lauck .45 is my favorite!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA1911 View Post
... He builds everything from scratch--that's right--from scratch. No shortcuts, no low grade steels (only bar-stock steel, 4140 steel, and 416 ss for barrels, etc.), no subcontracted parts, no cheap magazines, and some bomb-proof, proprietary parts....
Are you saying that he makes all of his own parts?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM

From the conversations that I have had with Mr. Lauck before and after I purchased my Pro Model, yes that is what he told me. He said that he builds all of his parts (i.e. frame, slide, barrel, extractor, action parts, etc.) with exception of a few items like the grips, springs, and tritium (sic) inserts. Maybe I misunderstood Mr. Lauck, but I do not think so. Be that as it may, he is one fine machinist. A freind of mine, who is also a gunsmith, could not believe the attention to detail.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM

The slides and frames look like Caspian, slide stops look like Wilson Bulletproof, grip safeties are either Wilson or S&A, etc. D&L might legally be the "manufacturer" of the firearms per ATF regulations but he'd need a pretty serious CNC machine shop to actually make his own parts.

Not to take anything away from his gunsmithing or machining abilities but very few pistol manufacturers actually make their own parts. The parts that he uses are very good quality though.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM

To Ziploc

Hi Ziplock,
Did you get the CR-45 or the CR-45 Deep Cover from Dave Lauck? I am thinking of that as my second Lauck pistol. Can you tell me more about the gun? How much does it weigh? How's the dehorning? Is it easy to click the dehorned safety?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Dave, I thought the same thing as you concerning the CNC machinery and such, and I ask him about just that. He said that he uses the "old school" machinery for his work. Who knows for sure. I am not a machinist, but someone spent an incredible amount of time doing the machining. He did tell me that he spent approximately 600 man hours on my Professional Model! Again, who knows for sure, but this gun is totally awesome!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 PM

The first time I took my Dave Lauck PROFESSIONAL MODEL to the range, the holes were touching after the first three shots. I had to stop, look at it, and shake my head! I never shot this well before! As long as I did my part, the pistol shot where it was supposed to. Racking it feels like opening and closing the door of a Mercedes Benz car.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM

What impresses me the most is Dave's attention to detail and his machine work. Just awesome! And boy, is my Pro Model smooth as glass. Much like my Wilson Combats.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Might want to start new verses reviving old thread.

But can you really get excited about a custom 1911 pistolsmith that proposes a "short range" 1911 ( as opposed to a long range ) for those close combat encounters.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM

600 man hours, hhmm. Most shops charge at least $50.00 per hour for man and machines. 600 x 50, you do the math. Let's say he's an all around swell guy and charges only $20.00. That's $12k. At $10.00 that's 6k, at a mere $5.00 an hour that comes to $3k.

I know just enough about machining to know old school means a lot of work. I wouldn't even know where to start if building say, a slidestop. I'm sure I'd get it figured out.

Sure would be tempting to have another shop mill parts on their CNC machines and call it mine.

I recall at least the one OP asiparks refers to in his post. It's not flattering and reflects poorly on D&L. I also remember D&L claiming to manufacture their magazines.

OP went on for long time with weeks of back and forth exchange.

I'm not in the business of pistol smithing or parts manufacturing or I would have afforded D&L the proffesionalism Dave Berryhill has by refraining from further comment.

From where I sit, here in the Sho-Me state. I haven't seen much to impress me. While confident D&L is competent in their craft the only thing I've seen to date that sets them apart from other high end shops is ethic.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 PM

Just take a look at Dave's, Bob Rodgers, Chuck Rogers, Heirloom, etc. websites. You should be able to tell a difference from those guys who are swamped and the websites that look like novels..
Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 PM

I too have my doubts about the 600 man-hours that he quoted, as well as, him building everything from scratch. I doubt that he has his own foundry--not many gunmakers do. And, I would have to say that some of his parts may be from other sources. Who knows? In the end, I am not sure if it really matters. But, he is a very reputable gunmaker indeed. I could not be more impressed with my Professional Model.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 PM

I've had limited trigger time behind a D&L handgun, but I can say that compared to a real master like Ro(d)gers, Jardine, or Christiansen; the D&L was more in line with a Wilson or Nighthawk. Not to say that it wasn't a nice gun, but I've felt better triggers and I think a lot of the essential improvements were more rhetorical. There's nothing wrong with a D&L handgun, but if it were my money, I'd go with something that was either more readily available like a Wilson, or with someone that could make something more directly in line with any of my more unique requirements.