1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > LEO Duty

Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM

The only think I have found that will get through car doors consistently is 12 ga slugs and .308 rounds.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The only think I have found that will get through car doors consistently is 12 ga slugs and .308 rounds.
Unfortunatly they took our 12 gauges away and dont alow 308. I think people when testing ammo against car doors and windows should also test at odd angles and not just right ones. I think one will find handgun perfermance go from bad to worse, no matter the round.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ346 View Post
I work for a Sheriffs Office and I carry a Springfield TRP and have a Smith 1911SC bobtail for off duty love both guns and the caliber.But sometimes I wonder about getting more penetration I do not like the 40 SW but what would be a good round or caliber far as shooting say thru a car door.

I wonder about 38 Super, 10MM and the 357 Sig.Currently I carry 45 230 grain ranger round.Would corbon or a plus P round work
COPS magazine just published a great eval. using a Ford Ranger donor. For the .45s they found the 185gr. Duty rounds to be the best. 230 gr. fell pretty short after penetrating the doors/windows, and entering the cabin. Tested from 45 and 90 degree angles, through doors and the windows.

5.56 rounds tested best were the 62 gr. and above, particulalrly the 855 AP rounds and anything 72 grain was pretty smokin for penetration and threat power, once inside the cabin.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Myself, my Lt. and my Chief all carry 1911s. We attended a test out west several years ago. We ended up with Federal HST in either 180 or 230gr. Keeping in mind that I do not think most handgun rounds will not.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ346 View Post
... but what would be a good round or caliber far as shooting say thru a car door.
Now you are talking rifles and shotguns.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
COPS magazine just published a great eval. using a Ford Ranger donor. For the .45s they found the 185gr. Duty rounds to be the best. 230 gr. fell pretty short after penetrating the doors/windows, and entering the cabin. Tested from 45 and 90 degree angles, through doors and the windows.

5.56 rounds tested best were the 62 gr. and above, particulalrly the 855 AP rounds and anything 72 grain was pretty smokin for penetration and threat power, once inside the cabin.
Could you clarify this? How did the 230 gr fall short if it penetrated into the cabin?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Banned

Shoot, train, repeat...

Last edited by LEO2B; 05-12-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
Shoot, train, repeat...
Sorry, I have no idea what that means in relation to my question?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM

When you talk about "testing ammunition" are you talking about a scientific test, something that can be compared? First read "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness" found at:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

The best thing to do is attend a ballistic shoot that fires the "FBI protocol" and you can see for yourself how the ammo will perform "after" passing through various barriers such as heavy clothing, drywall, 20 ga. steel, etc.

Bullets that penetrate one barrier well, may not do well through others ... also, bullets that work great on laminated automobile glass, may over penetrate and not expand well in human tissue. Just my 2 cents. I've hosted a several Federal and Winchester wound ballistics seminar at my range and they are very informative.

A couple of years ago, we had one of our officers going to trial on a shooting that he was involved in. The state prosecutor was arguing over some "ballistic evidence" with the defense in a hearing and he told me afterwards "we all know what bullets do when they enter the body." It just so happens that we had a wound ballistics seminar scheduled for the very next day. I invited him and he attended, got schooled on the facts, went back, argued scientific FACTS and won the case (seeing is believing).

On a side note, Dr. Martin Fackler is still considered to be and expert in the field and he say's repeatedly that it all comes down to "shot placement."

All in all, I've seen the new Speer Gold Dot bonded bullets and the Winchester SXT bonded bullets perform well through laminated glass.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM

We have a reserve officer (previously full time) that carries a Colt wheel gun in 44mag. I love watching the new guys shoot beside him for the first time. They are popping away with their 40's and Carl lets loose with that Howitzer (minus the kick stand). Funny as can be to watch them jump and have that "what the hell was that" look on their face!
Springfield Armory fullsize GI
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 PM

Car doors vary in construction and internals depending on make, model, year of vehicle. That makes comparisons difficult. Most bonded 40 S&W pistol bullets generally do pretty well penetrating through car bodies while retaining mass and penetration capabilities. There are too many variables on car doors to declare absolutes but there are some things that appear to be consistent in sheet steel penetration testing. As far as controlled expanding pistol bullets go, heavy bonded bullets have an advantage penetrating gelatin after passing through or steel. and the higher the velocity the better for penetration. Bullet deformation from steel can inhibit bullet expansion in tissue so expect degradation of potential crush cavity diameter to only the caliber. Bottom line anytime you have to penetrate a barrier such as steel or glass with a pistol to stop a threat be prepared to use more ammo.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 PM

This is what is in my 38 Super

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/38-Super...A38SU-124-XTP/
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM

I think a good load in the 45 will do you just fine. A full power 10mm is hard to beat