1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM

finish rusting

i wanted to ask if it a normal thing for the gis to rust around the handle area because mine is. cant get it off unless i take the finish off with it. i first noticed it about two weeks after i bought it when i took off the grips it was under them couldnt get it off then ether. but after time goes on it is spreading. its not real bad but iam a little worried about it. it makes the gun look like crap. also is there some thing i can use to get it of with out taking off the finish. it is also a stainless gi
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 AM

well i must be the only one to have this problem. iam going to get a pic of it when i can
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 AM

I don't have a clue.

Maybe Para's customer serice can help.

Para toll free 888-999-9386
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM

i thought about that but i here mixed feelings about there customer service. so i'm not sure about it. i need to get a pic of it. because it looks like rust and it spreads like rust but iam not 100p about it because i can scrape it off. i only did it on two spots. on the slide safety and right below it. the slide safety came right off didnt hurt it since there is no finish. but the spot below it took off the finish. i will probely have to call them but if i can get it to go away myself tha would be nice.

Last edited by ice250r; 02-20-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 AM

I'm having the same problems with my p12 stainless, and cant find anything to get it off! Its only on the matte surfaces, and not the brushed sides of the slide.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 AM

Call customer service, I've not had any issue's with them. Tim will answer all your question's and if he can't, he will get up and go ask. I've only dealt with Doug (I think) once and A1 service from both.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt7680 View Post
Call customer service, I've not had any issue's with them. Tim will answer all your question's and if he can't, he will get up and go ask. I've only dealt with Doug (I think) once and A1 service from both.
I have not contacted C.S. because I'm not the original purchaser, and their warranty would be no use to me!

I first noticed this problem start to develop about three years ago, and it has spread like cancer. Ive tried just about every method to rid it, with no result.
After great research into stainless and other type of metals and their finishes. it is my "NONE PROFESSIONAL'' opinion that the MEDIA used in the process to apply their matte finish, must have been contaminated at the time.

If the same media was previously used to matte a non stainless frame,
It would cause the stainless to become impregnated with none stainless.

As I stated in my previous post, The brushed sides of the slide that have not had the matte finish applied are UN-infected. Also if a PASSIVATION process were to be used it would of prevented this problem from occurring regardless of contamination of media used.

At this point i see no other remedy, other than to have the matte surfaces refinished.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobo.45 View Post
I have not contacted C.S. because I'm not the original purchaser, and their warranty would be no use to me!

I first noticed this problem start to develop about three years ago, and it has spread like cancer. Ive tried just about every method to rid it, with no result.
After great research into stainless and other type of metals and their finishes. it is my "NONE PROFESSIONAL'' opinion that the MEDIA used in the process to apply their matte finish, must have been contaminated at the time.

If the same media was previously used to matte a non stainless frame,
It would cause the stainless to become impregnated with none stainless.

As I stated in my previous post, The brushed sides of the slide that have not had the matte finish applied are UN-infected. Also if a PASSIVATION process were to be used it would of prevented this problem from occurring regardless of contamination of media used.

At this point i see no other remedy, other than to have the matte surfaces refinished.
So you first noticed this 3 yrs ago and still haven't attempted to get it fixed at a local gunsmith or anything? Must not be that big of a deal, cmon 3 yrs. I understand you're not the original owner but......smh

Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbigup01 View Post
So you first noticed this 3 yrs ago and still haven't attempted to get it fixed at a local gunsmith or anything? Must not be that big of a deal, cmon 3 yrs. I understand you're not the original owner but......smh
Yes three years ago, i first noticed light rusting and these minute looking black dots. Almost like a fine over spray of paint would look. I figured it must be from the humidity, as i do know even stainless will rust! My brother, Who works in the machining industry gave me some paper that parts are wrapped in when sent out of the shop to prevent rust and corrosion. same paper my new S&W came wrapped in! Ive had it in the paper in my "dehumidified" safe for the last couple years, But the problem has continued to spread!

And yes i did take it to a local G.S. and was told "It's either low quality stainless or needs to be refinished. And if you were able to read and comprehend what I had posted, you would see that I have attempted to fix it. How else do you think I came up with the info, and my conclusion?

''Must not be that big of a deal, cmon 3 yrs. I understand you're not the original owner but......smh''........I'm glade you are intelligent enough to spot the obvious! No it hasn't been my number one priority in life. And I was aware of para's policy's when I chose to purchase! As I have not called to complain or ask for something that is not owed to me. I DO NOT have ill feelings towards PARA, Or am I attempting to slander their reputation. But simply posted my reply, experience, And thoughts to this thread! In hopes that either I can save someone the time and effort that I have put into the problem or they could save me the cash, With a more cost effective way to resolve it!

Furthermore, I see no point to your post other than to start conflict. I'm sorry that you find things in life such as MY POST offensive.
I truly did not post this to spite you! And as unbelievable as you may find my story, I assure you I do have better things in life to do than to make up fictional story's on a firearms forum.

Last edited by bonobo.45; 05-10-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM

^ No offense my man, im just thining a rust spot three years ago, will only get worse, 3 yrs later. Didn't mean for it to sound the way you took it.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM

well i tried every thing i can think of and its still there. so to make a long story short i took the gun apart and started with the sand paper 220 to start with. when i got done it shined like chrome i was happy with it. i left the finish on the top of the slide and on the bottom of the frame so it just the sides that are polished. but there a spot right under the trigger guard ill probably end up polishing it to. then so time went buy and it was looking good i thought my rust was going until i got new grips. i took my old grips off and there it was again back full force hiding under the grips. *** so i hit with more polish it came off but you can see where it was so i oiled up and put my new grips on. i know it will just keep coming back just nothing i can do about it just got to keep the mothers handy. AND ONE MORE THING iam no gun smith by no means and i know there are different kind of stainless out there but should a magnet stick to it because mine does it has the s marks on the slide and frame to just wondering because i was always told stainless is not magnetic.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM

A magnet will be attracted to stainless. It does to my S&W Model 65 and there has never been a spec of rust on it. I`m sure there are different blends of stainless though.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Don't ask me why, rust is a strange animal, some stuff does and some don't. I just sent a brand new henry which had been on one outing 200 rounds 22mag shot thru it, went to clean it 2 days ago and the right side and top of the barrel was covered in splotchs of barrel and surface rust on it. Talked with my lgs yesterday he is a past army pro shooter. He stated he has over the years had different weapons do the same thing. Its not the mfg. its something that happened in mfg process or some kind of corrosive chemical got on it. No to ss attracting a magnet overall. Now ther are some grades that will attract a magnet. There is a thread in general gun discussion about ss and rusting'

Gary
Old 05-19-2012, 06:28 PM

I too am experiencing what I believe is some type of rust, or contaminate on my all Stainless steel "Gun Rights" edition Para Ordnance.

On the safety, slide release, & the tube on the left side of the slide, instead of appearing stainless, it actually is turning black. It will not rub off. I have not tried any metal polish on it yet. It just appears "weird" to me that this would be happening on a gun that since new has had less than 100 rounds shot through it. I've only fired it on 2 separate occasions. Pulled it out the other day just to admire it and found this black surface in a couple areas.

If this is what rust looks like on stainless, what can be done to prevent it from spreading???? I can take pics and post them if anyone wants to see what it looks like. Since it seems to be confined to the controls I'm thinking of just buying new pieces & replacing them with something of higher quality-like Wilson Combat or the likes. Any ideas from the gallery?