1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 AM

Time To Upgrade

I have had the pleasure of owning a few 1911s over the years, my first being a Colt, Series 70, purchased in the early '70s, if memory serves me. I sold that many years ago, moved over to a SIG P220, determined I did not like the DA/SA trigger and came back to a 1911. That first purchase after the P220 was a Para P12-.45, followed a year later with a Para P14-.45.

These were what I could afford at the time, the time frame being in the early '90s. It is now time to revamp the contents of the safe. The P14-.45 will be sold and I plan to retain the p12-.45, but I want something of a better brand and higher quality now. I know what I want, a Nighthawk Custom GRP Recon, but I just cannot justify the cost right now.

In starting my research, I find that I have settled on a price range of $1200-$1500. I have looked at Kimber, S&W, SIG, etc., and find myself as filled with questions as before I started.

I do have two caveats: 1) I live in California. I know, I don't like the rules here anymore than so many others, but it is where I live, so no California polemics, please. 2) I will not be considering anything from Springfield Armory. Again, I know many swear by them - I don't, but that is another story.

Within those constraints, any and all information, assistance, guidance, etc. would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Welcome, Gatekeeper48, from another Californian.

Since you are asking, and for the price range you quoted ($1200-$1500), I would suggest the Kimber Gold Match II in either blued (like mine) or a stainless version. The Kimber Raptor IIs are also awesome pieces.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Welcome, Gatekeeper48, from another Californian.

Since you are asking, and for the price range you quoted ($1200-$1500), I would suggest the Kimber Gold Match II in either blued (like mine) or a stainless version. The Kimber Raptor IIs are also awesome pieces.

Good luck!
Thanks DArBad for your input. I had not looked at any of the Raptors yet. Since the CA DOJ list is as understandable as hieroglyphics, it takes awhile to rummage around and see what is and is not approved.

BTW, did my original post go to the best location? Would it be better in another spot?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper48 View Post
Thanks DArBad for your input. I had not looked at any of the Raptors yet. Since the CA DOJ list is as understandable as hieroglyphics, it takes awhile to rummage around and see what is and is not approved.

BTW, did my original post go to the best location? Would it be better in another spot?

Thanks.
You're welcome.

The " General Gun Discussion " subforum will be the best place for it. That way, members with different favorite brand and specific model suggestion will feel most welcome to post.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Welcome to the 1911 Forum.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersergeant View Post
Welcome to the 1911 Forum.
Thank you MasterSergeant. It does seem to be a well-informed and knowledgeable group of 1911 aficionados.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Welcome gatekeeper. There will be a ton of info you will be able to learn here.