1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense


View Poll Results: How do you carry?
Unchambered 312 6.42%
Chambered with hammer back and safety engaged 4,284 88.13%
Chambered with hammer down 265 5.45%
Voters: 4861. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #751  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Ky_Coal_Miner Ky_Coal_Miner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 74



i always carry cocked n' locked
  #752  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Bvrtail Bvrtail is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 161
yup thats where the term "Cocked n locked" was born!
  #753  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
AndyC's Avatar
AndyC AndyC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 49
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
Actually, the first version of what is now the 1911 had no safety at all. Browning intended the pistol to be made safe by lowering the hammer to the half-cock.

The Army knew better and insisted on both a manual safety lock and a grip safety.
Indeed:

__________________
My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
  #754  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
TN.Frank TN.Frank is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: TN. U.S.A.
Age: 52
Posts: 422
Condition 1 is the best way to carry the gun. You can store the gun in a drawer(or else where) in Condition 1, 2 or 3, all are perfectly safe.
Unless something is physically wrong with the gun(overly long firing pin, weak firing pin spring, ect) the gun should NOT go off in Condition 2(hammer down, chamber loaded) since the hammer will be resting against the firing pin stop/slide so no force will be transfered to the firing pin from a blow to the hammer. However, if you have a weak firing pin spring and you drop the gun and it impacts on the muzzle of the gun it CAN go off.
The way the Thumb Safety works on a 1911 totally blocks not only the sear but also the hammer so as long as the thumb safety is in the "ON" position there's no way in heck the gun can go off.
On the Sportsman Channel there's a show called "Student of the Gun", at the start of Episode 15 they talk about carrying "Half Loaded", i.e. Condition 3 and demonstrate just how long it takes to draw and fire from C3 and C1. C1 is THE way to go for CCW.
__________________
S&W 642-2, 38 Spl.+P
ATI 1911GI-E, 45ACP
  #755  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Adolf Israel Bubba Adolf Israel Bubba is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 43
Half cock is just another way to get yourself killed. EVen the old cowboys left one chamber empty in their Remingtons and Colts. My lady hunter friends told me that this rule is good for Ruger DA revolvers, too.

Again:
A. Put safety ON.
B. Remove the magazine.
C. Work the slide to eject the chambered rounds.
  #756  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 PM
TN.Frank TN.Frank is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: TN. U.S.A.
Age: 52
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolf Israel Bubba View Post
Half cock is just another way to get yourself killed. EVen the old cowboys left one chamber empty in their Remingtons and Colts. My lady hunter friends told me that this rule is good for Ruger DA revolvers, too.
The reason why the older style SA's were carried with only 5 rounds with the hammer down on the empty chamber is because if the hammer were to get hit and the half cock notch were to get broken you'd have the firing pin on the hammer hit the primer of the loaded round in the chamber. No such problem exists with a 1911 since it has an inertia firing pin and a blow to if form the half cocked position would not make enough inertia to move the pin forward enough or with enough force to set the primer on the round in the chamber off.
That being said, if you want to have a round in the chamber it's better to have the hammer all the way down rather then on half cock.
As far as Ruger DA revolvers, you can load up all 6 since they have a transfer bar safety so the round in the chamber can't be hit by the hammer. Most modern DA revolvers and now Ruger SA revolvers all have either a hammer block or transfer bar built into the system so it's safe to keep the gun fully loaded with the hammer down.
__________________
S&W 642-2, 38 Spl.+P
ATI 1911GI-E, 45ACP
  #757  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Vern Humphrey Vern Humphrey is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Arkansas, deep in the Ozarks
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
The reason why the older style SA's were carried with only 5 rounds with the hammer down on the empty chamber is because if the hammer were to get hit and the half cock notch were to get broken you'd have the firing pin on the hammer hit the primer of the loaded round in the chamber. No such problem exists with a 1911 since it has an inertia firing pin and a blow to if form the half cocked position would not make enough inertia to move the pin forward enough or with enough force to set the primer on the round in the chamber off.
That being said, if you want to have a round in the chamber it's better to have the hammer all the way down rather then on half cock.
As far as Ruger DA revolvers, you can load up all 6 since they have a transfer bar safety so the round in the chamber can't be hit by the hammer. Most modern DA revolvers and now Ruger SA revolvers all have either a hammer block or transfer bar built into the system so it's safe to keep the gun fully loaded with the hammer down.

I have a friend who shot the heel off his boot in Viet Nam. He was a company commander, and carried both an M1911A1 and an M16A1. He holstered his pistol on half cock, slung his rifle, the butt hit the top of his holster, drove the hammer forward, breaking the half cock and the gun went off.
  #758  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 AM
chuckfw chuckfw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 61
If you want to know about "slips" when half cocked or your thumb slipping before it is cocked, have a reloader fix you a couple of cases with just a primer. Then, with a case chambered, you can try all kinds of scenarios to see if it will go off in your pistol. But, still be careful where the barrel is pointing since it can still hurt someone.

Best is C&L with your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
  #759  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
SharonAnne9x23 SharonAnne9x23 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Actually, JMB originally designed the 1911 without a GRIP safety. The army insisted on the grip safety for horse mounted cavalry. They were concerned with the up and down movement of the horse that the thumb safety might become dislodged in the flap holstet
  #760  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Vern Humphrey Vern Humphrey is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Arkansas, deep in the Ozarks
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne9x23 View Post
Actually, JMB originally designed the 1911 without a GRIP safety. The army insisted on the grip safety for horse mounted cavalry. They were concerned with the up and down movement of the horse that the thumb safety might become dislodged in the flap holstet
He designed the M1911 without any safety, period. The grip safety was added first, and then the safety lock. both at the Army's insistance.
  #761  
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
beazley26 beazley26 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52
i carry mine the way you carry yours , but i do practice drawing and racking the slide and got good at it, its better to be safe and not sorry
  #762  
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 AM
rwd rwd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 682
I have been carrying a 1911 since I was knee high to a puddle duck...I was taught cocked and locked...If you draw the pistol than you better use it...there should not ever be any situation where you have to draw and wave it around...thats when people get hurt...
__________________
I carry a .45 cause they don't make a .46
COTEP #0561
  #763  
Old 06-01-2012, 03:42 AM
Bvrtail Bvrtail is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 161
always, always!!!! C1 COCKED & LOCKED , COCKED & LOCKED,
  #764  
Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
eshelton eshelton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvrtail View Post
always, always!!!! C1 COCKED & LOCKED , COCKED & LOCKED,
ditto
  #765  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Adolf Israel Bubba Adolf Israel Bubba is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd View Post
I have been carrying a 1911 since I was knee high to a puddle duck...I was taught cocked and locked...If you draw the pistol than you better use it...there should not ever be any situation where you have to draw and wave it around...thats when people get hurt...
Agreed.
  #766  
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
downtownv downtownv is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LBI
Posts: 274
Def Con 1! all the way!
  #767  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Bingored Bingored is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
I have always carried full cocked and round chambered with safety on. I did have some difficulty in the military for carrying this way but as I pointed out, It was me that had to face the threat! As I was usually on the base competition shooter teams I generally was allowed to carry as I saw fit. I just had to prove safe handling of my firearm.
The only serious threat to this carry was as a deputy in California and I had to have a holster with a little flap that covered the the hammer. No problem here in Texas.
  #768  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Oldsalt65 Oldsalt65 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by beazley26 View Post
i carry mine the way you carry yours , but i do practice drawing and racking the slide and got good at it, its better to be safe and not sorry
If you need to present your gun, take aim, and fire in a split second you are certainly not safe if you need to manipulate the slide and chamber a round when you should be entirely focused on presentation and situational awareness.

You are alread behind the curve in the event you need to use your gun in self defense and having to chamber a round puts you dead last in an armed encounter.

Your adversary may already be shooting at you while you are still fussing with your gun.

The less you have to do when you must deploy your gun in self defense, the safer you are; and individuals who are hesitant to carry their 1911 cocked and locked as it was designed to be safely carried, should strongly consider carrying a pistol or revolver that they aren't afraid to carry properly.

Last edited by Oldsalt65; 06-24-2012 at 08:41 AM.
  #769  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
cwo4uscgret cwo4uscgret is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,773
Chambered, cocked, and locked. I used to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber until one day I woke up and realized that unless my finger was on the trigger that none of my guns have ever fired all by themselves!
  #770  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM
KNCW KNCW is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8
I have carried a 1911 or similar for over 30 years. There is only way way to carry it and that is C1. I am a student of Col. Jeff Cooper, Jack Weaver and similar. The only sound the bad guy will hear from me is the slight click of the safety coming off.
__________________
RIA 1911A1 Tactical
Bushmaster M4A3
Mosin-Nagant M44

Last edited by KNCW; 07-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.
  #771  
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Tarbe Tarbe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 56
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNCW View Post
I have carried a 1911 or similar for over 30 years. There is only way way to carry it and that is C1. I am a student of Col. Jeff Cooper, Jack Weaver and similar. The only sound the bad guy will hear from me is the slight click of the safety coming off.
Agreed.

It's funny, while I always have my 1911s in condition one, when I was in the Marines (70's) they never let us carry in condition one!

Strange, but true. The good ole USMC would not let us carry the pistol in the fashion it was designed to be carried. Both in a Marine Detachment aboard a carrier and as a TOW squad leader in 2nd Tank.
__________________
Les Baer TRS (ser#196x)
Kimber Eclipse Custom II

USMC 1976 - 1980 (0351/0352)
  #772  
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Homicide Homicide is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7
Cocked, Locked & Ready to Rock!
  #773  
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM
dakrat dakrat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
Cocked, Locked & Ready to Rock!
for realz? daz gangsta bruh!
  #774  
Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 PM
mrod44 mrod44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
Cocked, Locked & Ready to Rock!
Thats the only way to carry. Con 2 and 3 just plain scare me and defeat the purpose of the 1911 platform.
  #775  
Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Earl12 Earl12 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Condition 1, otherwise it's just an expensive club.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved