1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Ranges near DuPage Co, IL

Hey everyone who lives in the chicago land area. what ranges (indoor/outdoor) do you go to? i have only been to Article 2 and looking for different places.

Cheers-PB
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Not sure if this helps...I used to go by one on US30 in Plainfield between I55 and IL59. It was on the right as you headed west from 55
S&W M&P15 5.56 / S&W M&P15-22 / Marlin 336 .30-30 / Savage 3D .22
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

There is

Maxon Shooters in Des Plaines
Mega Sports in Plainfield(this is the one off I55)
Gat Guns in Dundee/East Dundee
Midwest Guns in Lyons
Also my club, Pine Tree Pistol Club, hosts public shoots on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month... but thats out in Rockford.

Mike.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Midwest Sports isn't to shabby. Their prices have gone up some though.
I use Buffalo Rock Shooting Range in Ottawa. Thats a bit of a drive for you but its outdoors.
There is one more I use but i can't remember the name. I'll have to look it up.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Also Rinks in Lockport
Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM

How is article II? I have gone there a few times and couldnt get on the range and left because no one would help us or give us the time of day in there.

Mega Sports in plainfield is a great range IMO. Its very well lit, well ventilated. While it may be a little expensive IMO its worth it.

Rinks, is very "affordable" haha. Its cheap, out dated, not very well lit or ventilated but its cheap.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM

Buffalo is currently closed, when it re-opens??? might be a while. This is my favorite range as far as out door and just the general atmosphere.

Midwest, THE WORST! I have never met a larger group of rude and arrogant people in my entire life. This place is 10 minutes from my house and I regularly drive 30 minutes to Article II.

Article II is nice, no caliber restrictions or B.S. Cook county restrictions. If you go mid week you can generally hop right into a lane.

Mega sports is expensive and you have to buy their expensive ammo.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM

My normal place is Maxon, family owned, friendly staff and owners. Recently put a gunsmith on site to help the back log and turnaround time is quick.

Midwest seems better than it used to be, however I know what Urban means.

GAT is biggest to go to, well kept, open long hours.

Article II gets busy, they take appointments if you know when you are going a day or more in advance. Not big on customer service but the big guy in the back range is friendly and helpfull if youre not the sensative type...."man up" kind of guy.

Buffalo Rock Range is the only place that lets you think you're not in Illinois anymore...lots of fun.

Tony
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM

There is also JR Shooting Sports in Aurora (Fox Valley Mall). Located at Eola & New York. Small 10 lane range, but not a bad little shop.

I am currently doing my number crunching and will hopefully be opening a similar (to start) range. I need to do more research for zoning and laws, but I would like to add some action/popup ranges. I know of none in this area.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM

I hit JR's often, nice range, decently priced and close to home. I have always found Gats, Mega, and Article II to be a long wait to get a lane. Just do not have an hour to hang around.

Hey Magi, good luck in your quest to open another couple lanes. I would look forward to it.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

The ones previously mentioned - Article II - make a reservation - it's the only way to go now, seems they often have mechaniocal problems and the ventelation the last few visits seem to be less effective. That said - it's only 20 minutes from the house.

Gat while a bit shabby - the folks are super friendly and helpful.

I like mega world for a change of pace - love their range... didn't have to use their ammo but did have to buy their targets

For myself looking into joining the SC Sportman's club out in Elburn but not sure...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 AM

A website you may find useful, is http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm. You can search for ranges by state, or by distance from a zip code......and further tailor the search based on the type of shooting you are looking for (handgun, shotgun, rifle, archery.....etc).