1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > LEO Duty

Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM

TLR-1 and Safariland ALS

I currently have a 6360 for my non-railed 1911 as well as my Glock 21SF with a TLR-1 attached. I plan on picking up a railed 1911, either a Springfield MC Operator or a STI Duty One and would like to stick with the 6360 and TLR. I know Safariland makes the 6360 for these guns with a Surefire X300.

Does anyone know how close the fit is to work with the TLR instead of the X300?

I really dont want to have to purchase another tac light, especially that costs upwards of $250 when I already have one. If I have to, I guess I can sell the TLR and put that towards a X300 so that I can stick with the duty holster I am used to.

Thanks,
Gene Cole
Old 05-06-2012, 05:16 PM

It's easy to custom fit using a decent hair dryer..done it with safariland holsters many times
Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarigene View Post
If I have to, I guess I can sell the TLR and put that towards a X300 so that I can stick with the duty holster I am used to.

Thanks,
Gene Cole
Look to the 6320 series...
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM

I will be running a Sig 1911 TacOps (traditional govt slide profile) in a Safariland 6320 w/ TLR-1 as soon as I qual with it. I spoke to my regional Sig LE rep at length about holsters, as he personally knows the guy at Safariland who designs all of their holsters (yes, it's one guy that does 90% of the work...Mike had one of his original holsters from 1986 in the truck with him).

Safariland hasn't redesigned the 6320/6360 series to accomodate the TLR-1 because they would have to invest over $50K into the production dies, then roughly another $50K into R&D, legal approval, liability approval, etc. It's a long drawn out process that they aren't willing to delve into unless there is a guarantee that they can make their money back. The 1911 market is a very, very small niche compared to Glock, Sig, H&K, etc. and as such they aren't exactly leaping on the football to spend $100K on a holster re-design that may or may not make them any money.

All that being said, the TLR-1 will fit in an X300 holster without a problem. The width of the light isn't the issue, it slips right in. Where you run into trouble is the length. The TLR-1 is a touch longer than the X300, and that extra length prevents the ALS from releasing from the ejection port reliably. To remedy this, you need to remove the ALS mechanism from the holster and use a dremel or a little sandpaper to CAREFULLY remove some material and relieve that edge so that it releases properly. You're basically compensating for the extra length of the TLR-1 by taking it out of the ALS mechanism. It doesn't take much, but modifying any holster is tricky and makes some people squeamish. Do it slowing and carefully and you won't have an issue, but do it at your own risk.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 AM

After thinking about it, I will probably just pick up a X300 for the 1911, and keep the TLR on my Glock. Or I may mount the TLR on my patrol rifle.

Thanks for the help. Will probably be asking for opinions on which railed 1911 to pick up in a few months when I get the money.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM

If your willing to so with a SLS holster instead of the ALS, the 6280 is available for m3/tlr-1.

The one i use is actually for the m6 light but works fine with the tlr-1.

If you still want a surefire light, you can find used x200 for pretty cheap and should work with the 63xx holsters.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 PM

It's tight, but it'll fit. As mentioned, some work with a hair dryer can open up some slack in the fit.

That said, the X300 is worth the scratch, and if you shop hard, can be had for under $200.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPilot View Post
It's tight, but it'll fit. As mentioned, some work with a hair dryer can open up some slack in the fit.

That said, the X300 is worth the scratch, and if you shop hard, can be had for under $200.
This.
I paid just under 200 for mine shipped. After selling my TLR-1 for 100, that made it very reasonable for me. Especially for a far superior product in my eyes.
The sheep dislike the sheep dog until the coyote arrives.