1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
.....I shot an Ed Brown. The clouds parted, light shone down from heaven and a chorus of angles sounded in the air. What a great gun!
That about sums it up 4 me.....
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
First time I have seen 1911s flying in formation.
sortolookslikeb2bombers...

Last edited by radomowski; 05-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 AM

I still don't know what the hell I was thinking...

It started with an STI Spartan that I ordered out of nowhere when I saw "Osama dead" flashing across the screen...then I realized how much I enjoyed the 1911 platform and gave that to my dad after putting one box through it and basically proceeded to lose my damn mind and put in an order to Mr. Hammond. It all went so quick in hindsight..I wanted something special to commemorate the 100 year anniversary and the Brown won me over. I don't know why not a Wilson, maybe the options were just too much at the time? Baer never got considered much, it always seemed like a perfect 2nd semi-custom, but not first (and possibly one and only)..Not too cold, not too hot..Brown was the porridge that was "just right"..

I couldn't be happier knowing I have a gun that'll be with me and by my side for life..I feel blessed that it's a Brown.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
And you Sir may own one of the finest Ed Browns ever produced!
Yes, I agree with this statement completely (although Jim owns several, so not sure exactly which one you are talking about).

To me, his US Navy Assault Craft 1 - Vietnam SF Carry is the one that does it for me. The gun - the grips - the whole package. That may be the not only the best looking 1911 that I have ever seen but also the coolest (from a standpoint of being a commemorative gun of his wartime service). AWESOME!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM

I bought mine purely on the reputation and had never held an EB. I had many Colts before, and still do, but I wanted one Ed Brown.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM

I started shooting 1911's many years ago. I am first and foremost a shooter and all the 1911's I owned had problems of one sort or another at some point. Like many of us here I started with guns made by Colt which at the time were pretty much junk. I had a slew of Kimbers and Springfields then Baer's and Wilsons. In all I have owned 20+ various 1911's over the years but none of them every scratched my itch. I finally broke down and bought a used Ed Brown off the internet. I had never even SEEN a Brown, let alone held or shot one, but by this point I was getting desperate.

A week after my SF arrived I got rid of the other four 1911's that were in my gunsafe at the time. I've never looked back. My SF is hands-down the BEST 1911 that I have ever shot or owned.

YMMV
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
I started shooting 1911's many years ago. I am first and foremost a shooter and all the 1911's I owned had problems of one sort or another at some point. Like many of us here I started with guns made by Colt which at the time were pretty much junk. I had a slew of Kimbers and Springfields then Baer's and Wilsons. In all I have owned 20+ various 1911's over the years but none of them every scratched my itch. I finally broke down and bought a used Ed Brown off the internet. I had never even SEEN a Brown, let alone held or shot one, but by this point I was getting desperate.

A week after my SF arrived I got rid of the other four 1911's that were in my gunsafe at the time. I've never looked back. My SF is hands-down the BEST 1911 that I have ever shot or owned.

YMMV
Just so I understand. That SF you have over 26,000+ rounds through was USED? Are you talking about the same gun here?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM

I started by shooting a Randall 1911 in IPSC back in the early '90s. (Which I can kick myself for getting rid of...)

I've always been a 1911 fan, and now I have quite a few. In 2009, I was getting ready to work in the UK for 1 year. I ordered an EB Kobra *and* an LB Stinger the same time so I could have two new 1911s on my return.

I bought both of them since I knew they'd be good shooters.

m
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Emerson is the cause of my kid going without clothes and the rest of us living on Ramen noodles. Thanks buddy!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM

I did not own a firearm until July 2011 - about a month after reality intruded on me and my wife's "condition white" life. But that is another story.

The first time I visited my LGS to look at the options for me, I was absolutely astounded as to the number of 1911 pistols in the case. They had Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Dan Wessons, Sigs, RIAs, and even one or two Wilsons. Then I found out that it was the 100 year anniversary of the 1911. Then and there I just knew I was going to own one. However, I also knew that I needed to learn and master pistol handling and shooting skills before I got that 1911. So I went looking for 9mm pistols...

The first one I picked up was a Glock 19. Ugh. A blocky, ugly thing that did not fit my hand well. Please note that I was continuously reading and doing research on the various makes and models out there - and reading customer and owner reviews, which is why I picked up the Glock first. So, no Glock for me. Then I picked up a S&W M&P. Nope. I looked at dozens of pistols and got a SA XD(m) 9mm. It shot well, but it was plastic. I will never own another plastic pistol again.

Then I got a Sig P226 EE, which I still own. Then I got a Sig 1911 TACOPS. Now that was a 1911! Or was it? After range sessions, I noted that I was tired and sore after shooting the Sig 1911. So I started looking for another. I stumbled onto the 1911 Forum and started reading the various posts in the Manufacturers forums. I had already looked at WCs, DWs, SAs, Nighthawks, STIs, and Les Baers. They were all fine pistols to be sure...

Then I started reading about Ed Browns...

One of things that the folks were saying about EBs is that they "shot softly." Well, that sounded like it was for me. Then I went to the EB web site - and fell in love. These pistols have the classic 1911 look I was looking for. After about 2 months, I finally owned my EB SF. Everyone was right - they DO shoot softer than other .45 ACP pistols that I have used. Then I bought another (used) KC. Uh, oh.

So far, I have been nothing but pleased and completely satisfied that I made the correct decision on EB.

So, soft-shooting, classic looks, reliability, and quality are the reasons I own an EB.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 AM

The Brown family I expect to be around for as long as I am. I like that I should be able to return my Brown to the firm that made it if I need warranty work and that has in-house Brown parts availability in support. I hope they keep Justin where he is - and if he moves up - I hope his replacement is equally as effective.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 PM

What lead me to a Brown.

My nicest gun was a Kimber Ultra CDP. Very good gun to me, wanted the new Super Carry Pro when it first came out. Local master dealer, who I had bought most all my pistols from, wanted over MSRP.

Looking on the internet I found out that was Close to the price of a Les Baer, which I knew was a better gun.

So I decided I would instead look for and get a Baer. The fine gentleman who showed me some Baers and then proceeded to show me some Browns. Now the Brown was a little more money, but very nice.

So I said I would think about it. I went home thought about it for a day, then I decided the Baer Stinger was what I was looking for in my next Carry gun, so I ordered it from the Gentleman who showed me the guns and took the time to explain them.

About one week later I decided I also could not live with out the Special Forces Brown, so I call him up again and ordered one.

The Baer is a work truck, and the right gun for what I bought it for.

The Brown, is a Cadillac, smooth as silk and a pleasure to have in your hand.

My second Brown is siting in his safe now, he is waiting to ship it to me until I get home from the Rig the middle of this month.

Jerry, you are watching after my new one right? I am dying to see it its been a long wait and should be very special with all the options I had put on it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1tex View Post
Just so I understand. That SF you have over 26,000+ rounds through was USED? Are you talking about the same gun here?
Actually, yes. I bought my SF (same gun) used. In all fairness it looked new and I seriously doubt it had many rounds through it, but it was definitely used.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Well for me it was because I could get one and not wait for a Wilson last fall. Found a Classic Custom and have regretted it but it is still a good looking gun. Had to have the hood welded up and a trigger job done just a mental thing now. When I pay almost custom build price I expected a little more.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 PM

I have been carrying 1911s since I started in 1975. From Colt, SA, Kimber, Baer, Wilson. Now its a Kobra stainless. It is the best so far.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM

I was on my way to the shooting range, go every Tuesday evening with a couple of ex miltary friends, one of whom is a retired Marine that fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, Navy Cross awardee. Anyway, stopped to talk to another friend at his place of business and he asked what I was up to?

Told him I was on my way to the shooting range and thought I would stop and shoot the bull. He asked what kind of guns I had and I gave him a run down on what I have in the safe of which one was a Springfield 1911 45. (that I hated ever since the purchase, loose as a goose) Was going to have a smithy go through the darn thing and try to make a good shooting piece of it.

At that point he said I have an Ed Brown want to see it, of course the answer was yes and he produced the gun. Checked to make sure it was not loaded and handed it to me.
I was blown away by the appearence and quality of the gun. The slide action is smooth, no sharp edges, felt different from the junk piece i owned.

Asked him how it shot, he said it was a delight to shoot, a favorite gun of his and had run an awful lot of ammo through in with nary a burp.

That was in early January 2012, I was hooked, sold the junk, and purchased a Special Forces January 10, 2012. The order was confirmed January 13, 2012 for delivery June 13.

Kinda jummed the gun (pardon the pun) thought I could order the gun get in the que and make any changes at a later date. Wrong, and more expensive. Anyway with the help of good people on this web site I finally zeroed in on a gun I am sure I will be happy with, nothing too fancy but not box stock either. Have a little over a month to go before shipment and then another two weeks of agony and wait.

That's my story//Carl
Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM

I held a Ed Brown Special Forces Carry in my hand..it belonged there. I put a Ed Brown Special Forces Carry in a VMII and put it on my hip..it belonged there. Prior to Ed Brown, had Colts, Kimbers, Para, and even a couple Les Baer 1911s. I enjoy shooting the Brown the most.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 AM

I bought a Kimber first, then a bought a Smith and Wesson. Both had intermitent issues. I started reading up on semi customs. I decided that I wanted a semi custom for reliability. I walked into a local shop and they had a Kobra Carry. As soon as I held it it called out to me! I was sold! I now have both the Kobra Carry and the Kobra. I am thrilled with both.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM

I've owned several gunsmith custom jobs over the years. A lot of good guns, but also a lot of time and pain in the butt in the process to get them built. I was honestly kind of sick of dealing with that and just wanted to buy the best gun i could get "off the shelf." I got the Ed Brown Special Forces, and I'd put it up against anything. It's my #1 gun now.

I did send it off to Robar to get NP3. Guess I just can't leave any gun entirely alone!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
I did send it off to Robar to get NP3. Guess I just can't leave any gun entirely alone!
Amen to that..

Feels good to have a gun like a Brown and to still be able to make it yours..IMO money spent on making a perfect gun yours feels infinitely more worth it compared to money spent to fix an OK gun..
Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I've owned several gunsmith custom jobs over the years. A lot of good guns, but also a lot of time and pain in the butt in the process to get them built. I was honestly kind of sick of dealing with that and just wanted to buy the best gun i could get "off the shelf." I got the Ed Brown Special Forces, and I'd put it up against anything. It's my #1 gun now.

CastleB, did you ever have to deal with any of those builders after you received it? I always wondered about that and gave it some considerations. I just decided in the end to get a Wilson built for me knowing that they'd most likely be problem free dealing with them post sale if I ever needed them..
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Do you have any pics of this? I am considering the same thing for an EB-SFC. Was reading up on their new Poly 2 finish? Would love to see what the end result looked like on yours - and are you happy with it?

Note my SFC has the OD-Green Gen 3 over SS.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 AM

My wife has a Colt Series 80 in 38 super and I've enjoyed shooting it. I've carried a Springfield XD for the past several years, so I thought I would buy a full size 1911 in 45 for myself. After some research I found a Wilson dealer and looked at the CQB he had in stock, but couldn't believe that compared to a Colt Series 70 it would be worth $2k more, so I ended up buying a Colt.

At a happy hour a few months later, a colleague said I should have gotten a Brown and suggested that I look into them. He said I wouldn't be disappointed. I happened to get a bonus after working several months of extreme over time at work. My wife (bless her heart) said, use the money to get whatever you want, you worked hard for it.

I did a ton of research on Baer, Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson, etc. The thing that set EB apart for me was that they had a written warranty. So we stopped in at Bass Pro Shops and looked at the Ed Browns. I was about to buy a SS Kobra Carry even though I wanted a Black Executive Carry when my wife (bless her heart again) said, if you are going to spend that kind of money, why not order one and get exactly what you want.

So I did, 4 months later (Feb 1 2012), I picked it up and a conceal carry holster for it (which didn't really fit). After shooting it, I decided to carry it. I've since ordered a IWB from http://overlandgunleather.com, and patiently waiting a holster that fits. :-)

We've been to the range several times since, and my wife loves to bring as many of our guns as possible. But I only shoot the Ed Brown. It is THAT much fun to shoot. The only hassle I have had with it, is that it doesn't like my Colt or Wilson mags, but all of the Ed Browns ones, including the ones I bought from their website, have been flawless.

The other day that same college and went to the range. He brought his KC and Executive Target. I liked them both, but still liked my Executive Carry, though my EC has slim line grips so that makes it easier on my small hands.

btw: sorry for the lengthy post, too much coffee this am??
Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 AM

I foolishly bought a girl an engagement ring and was thinking damn could have bought a couple custom 1911's with that much cash. Then she went home to CA to visit her folks and never came back. Still have the Brown...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1tex View Post
Do you have any pics of this? I am considering the same thing for an EB-SFC. Was reading up on their new Poly 2 finish? Would love to see what the end result looked like on yours - and are you happy with it?

Note my SFC has the OD-Green Gen 3 over SS.
Here it is. I'm very happy with the NP3 finish and Robar was great to deal with. My gun was originally black GenIII over stainless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst1mortym View Post
CastleB, did you ever have to deal with any of those builders after you received it? I always wondered about that and gave it some considerations. I just decided in the end to get a Wilson built for me knowing that they'd most likely be problem free dealing with them post sale if I ever needed them..
My post-sale experience varied. One big-name shop (that is gone now) simply disappeared after the sale and didn't return my phone calls or e-mails. Most of them were good to deal with and clearly wanted to keep their customers happy.