1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ruger

Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Project: Silver

Apparently, a lot of people want this gun and have been waiting a long time to get one [/sarcasm]. Called the guy I deal with the morning he got this one in and there's no wait list...priced $200 under MSRP...Yeah, I want it.

This should be fun.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 AM

Sr1911 talo?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 AM

Jump on it, I love mine!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Yep, without hesitation. Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchboxjonez View Post
Sr1911 talo?
Not the Talo.

I finally had a little time today to open the box of parts I ordered for this gun. Here's a picture showing the new stainless slide stop and thumb safety. I also put on an older set of LD grips I had but won't be keeping them - they just look better than the wood grips. Lots more parts in the box to fit and install.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 AM

Stainless PArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
Not the Talo.

I finally had a little time today to open the box of parts I ordered for this gun. Here's a picture showing the new stainless slide stop and thumb safety. I also put on an older set of LD grips I had but won't be keeping them - they just look better than the wood grips. Lots more parts in the box to fit and install.

I like the mods better than the stock Ruger black parts. Do you also plan to refit the sights?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM

What brand parts did you end up using?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM

I like the factory grips. They did a good job on them IMO. Not to say I haven't changed them, but they look pretty good IMO.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barewoolf View Post
Do you also plan to refit the sights?
Not sure what you mean by refit the sights, but I do have new sights waiting to be fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKevlar
What brand parts did you end up using?
The slide stop and thumb safety are Ed Brown. Other parts I have include EGW, C&S, 10-8, and Dawson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQLS1
I like the factory grips. They did a good job on them IMO. Not to say I haven't changed them, but they look pretty good IMO.
I never said I didn't like them. Just that the LD grips are better. I have another set being made by LD for the Ruger.

Took the gun out for test fire today before going any further with the new parts. 100 flawless rounds and counting.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Looks like you decided to replace most of the parts before really putting any rounds through it.

Why?

SASS #43746, R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
Looks like you decided to replace most of the parts before really putting any rounds through it.

Why?
Because I can.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM

Btw, I've only changed the slide stop and thumb safety before visiting the range for test fire. Zero failures. Now, for the rest of the parts.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Photo update of the Ruger.

Edit: Fitted Dawson FO sight over the last couple of hours.

Last edited by Brainchild; 05-19-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Nice custom editions to a already great gun. I finally got my first 1911 about a month ago now, and yes, it was a Ruger SR1911. The only thing I added was the Ruger Eagle grips from the Ruger Store. I liked the original grips, but these definitely added to it I think. Kinda reminds me of the awesome Springfield grips with the machined in logo. Other than this, mine is stock. It shoots great. Couldn't be happier. Mine was $750 and I never hesitated as I was on a waiting list for a year without one. The dealer I got mine from has more, so if anyone is interested, PM me and I can share the info with you.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 AM

Looks good, Brainchild. Personally, I like the original contrasting thumb safety and slide stop, but the gun looks good this way too.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran View Post
Looks good, Brainchild. Personally, I like the original contrasting thumb safety and slide stop, but the gun looks good this way too.
Thanks, Ran.

I didn't mind the black parts but, to me, they look a little out of place on a stainless gun.

I contracted a local shop this morning to blast the black finish off the mag catch, lock, and grip safety. They didn't have the medium I requested to get the right finish but it was cheap enough to try. If it doesn't work out i'll buy the stainless parts.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Ran.

I didn't mind the black parts but, to me, they look a little out of place on a stainless gun.

I contracted a local shop this morning to blast the black finish off the mag catch, lock, and grip safety. They didn't have the medium I requested to get the right finish but it was cheap enough to try. If it doesn't work out i'll buy the stainless parts.
I tried blasting the finish off myself using 80 grit glass bead and it did virtually nothing. I was going to coat my parts but finally just ordered the stuff I wanted in stainless. Since day 1 of owning these guns I've not liked the black accents. I've fit all stainless parts except for the grip safety. I'm having the grip safety fit using a stainless STI grip safety.I hoped it would be a drop in. I talked to Joe Chambers about it a while back over email and he thought it would require a little work to make it look right since the tangs appear to be a over cut .220 instead of a .250.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
I tried blasting the finish off myself using 80 grit glass bead and it did virtually nothing.
I figured this but it's not costing me much to have them give it a shot. Perhaps they have some special techniques or industrial resources to get the black off. I'm not getting my hopes up though since their most aggressive medium is softer than glass.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM

I was going to have a guy that is on the Sig Sauer forum coat all the pieces but lots of people were posting negatives about his turn time/quality so I passed.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Picked up the grip safety and mag catch/lock today. Turns out the shop was able to get the black finish off using just walnut shells. They're only about one shade darker than the slide and frame so they match nicely. $20 for the refinish and I don't have to buy and fit any parts. I'm happy.

Here's a few pictures of the Ruger without the front and rear sights on.

Last edited by Brainchild; 05-23-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM

How well does the slide stop and thumb safety that you replaced match the original parts?

Last edited by wws; 05-24-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wws View Post
How well does the slide stop and thumb safety that you replaced match the original parts?
The slide stop and thumb safety are Ed Brown and are a very close match as you can see in the pictures. Those parts have a smoother surface making them appear slightly brighter in some light conditions but you'd have to bring the gun up to your face and tilt the gun to see the difference.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM

I was bored last night so I took the time to scratch out the white dots on the rear sight since I prefer them plain. This is just a temp until I can get the new rear sights fitted.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
The slide stop and thumb safety are Ed Brown and are a very close match as you can see in the pictures. Those parts have a smoother surface making them appear slightly brighter in some light conditions but you'd have to bring the gun up to your face and tilt the gun to see the difference.
It looks very good to me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wws View Post
It looks very good to me. Thanks.
Thanks!

10-8 trigger installed.