1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM

I thought about sending mine back to ATI for a new barrel install (see earlier in this thread about the link carrier breaking off the barrel itself for those who are going "what???) I found out from the FFL dealer I bought it from, that the distributor he get them from has a lifetime warranty and will replace the gun for free...period. So, I will be getting a new Titan Stainless in a week or so, hopefully without the barrel issue
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 AM

I replaced my Titan with a Springfield, so if anyone has a Titan and wants a full Colt recoil assembly including adapted Colt reverse plug (ATI's term), contact me privately and I'll give you a good deal.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkachel View Post
I replaced my Titan with a Springfield, so if anyone has a Titan and wants a full Colt recoil assembly including adapted Colt reverse plug (ATI's term), contact me privately and I'll give you a good deal.
Same here, at least the recoil assembly. I also have a rear sight laser if anyone is interested, PM me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannim31 View Post
I thought about sending mine back to ATI for a new barrel install (see earlier in this thread about the link carrier breaking off the barrel itself for those who are going "what???) I found out from the FFL dealer I bought it from, that the distributor he get them from has a lifetime warranty and will replace the gun for free...period. So, I will be getting a new Titan Stainless in a week or so, hopefully without the barrel issue
Dont tell me, Davidsons in AZ? They replaced my Titan also. and I sold it still in the bags. Glad to be out from under that one. So far my Springer hasn't missed a beat!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM

ATI has had mine for over two weeks and still they haven't had one of their smiths look at it. It's getting traded as soon as I get it back.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Here it is now. I will be testing it at the range tomorrow. New push rod housing, new pushrod, slide catch, beavertail and hammer.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:07 PM

nice work
Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_red View Post
Here it is now. I will be testing it at the range tomorrow. New push rod housing, new pushrod, slide catch, beavertail and hammer.

Where did you get the front strap stippling done at/by?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthrtrkr View Post
Where did you get the front strap stippling done at/by?
Actually it's a piece made by Wilson Combat. Its held on by the grips.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...SS-Front-Strap
Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Well, I shot about 100 rounds through it. I had a few stove pipes and light strikes early on but the last 40 rounds or so I had no issues besides shells hitting me in the forehead. I know the light strikes were do to the titanium firing pin and heavier firing pin spring that I put in it. I think it's starting to break in though. I think I will replace the ejector too. It seems like cheap metal and wore down to the point the shells were smacking me. Otherwise I like it. I had some great groupings after I felt like it started breaking in a little... or it was just me getting use to it. I don't trust it enough to carry it yet, but I hope I can get it there.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM

Well i just may have done it now. I cut the slide to except the whole colt reverse plug and now with that and the colt defender spring assy. I'm hoping for the best. Pictures and report AFTER my next range trip.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
Well i just may have done it now. I cut the slide to except the whole colt reverse plug and now with that and the colt defender spring assy. I'm hoping for the best. Pictures and report AFTER my next range trip.
I did it myself a couple of days ago and ran about 20 rounds thru it...works good! I was worried about the "slide stop" at the end of the slide, but with the use of the Colt reverse plug, it doesnt seem to bother it and doesnt overtravel. I'm going to the range here in about an hour, so I'll have more afterwards.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Well, I'm going to put it back to stock and trade it. Message me if anyone is interested in any nice aftermarket parts.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 PM

Bought one of these months ago but decided it was too heavy to carry off duty. Bought it at Buds on line. Question, if I haven't fired it yet, how much can I sell it for or how much will Bud will take it for?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
My ATI spring plug cracked and I just fit the Colt Defender reverse plug to my slide (fit the bushing to the gun...did not machine/cut the slide). Unfortunately the plug is longer and sits too far forward. This means the large recoil spring is not under the correct compression at battery and there is a gap between the flat end of the guide rod and the front of the bushing that under rapid fire conditions could allow the end of the spring to pop out of the bushing.

I don't recommend using the Defender spring plug. I went ahead today and called ATI for a replacement since my pistol (Fatboy) is still under warranty.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM

I have a feeling you're going to call them again if you shoot that thing very much. Look at the web thickness in that corner. It's VERY thin and a real weak spot. And a pretty sharp corner to boot. I fit a Kimber plug to mine, and yes it sticks out the front as well. But it's much more robust, especially in the critical area.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinTX View Post
I have a feeling you're going to call them again if you shoot that thing very much. Look at the web thickness in that corner. It's VERY thin and a real weak spot. And a pretty sharp corner to boot. I fit a Kimber plug to mine, and yes it sticks out the front as well. But it's much more robust, especially in the critical area.
Could you do me a favor and take a shot of the front of your gun showing the bushing while the slide is in battery? Below is a pic of mine with the Defender plug. I've posted the entire set of pics up on my ATI Fatboy thread. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Here is a bad picture of a defender plug with the frame cut so all of the plug fits.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC10182.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 PM

jeorge: So...the front of your reverse bushing looks the same as mine right? The front flat of the guide rod is not flush with the bushing which leaves a gap exposing the spring, correct?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM

Yes
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 PM

jorge: Have you shot your pistol with this mod? Does it function normally? I haven't shot mine since I fit the Defender plug.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 PM

So far so good but now to make a guide rod that will take the possability of spring problems.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
Could you do me a favor and take a shot of the front of your gun showing the bushing while the slide is in battery? Below is a pic of mine with the Defender plug. I've posted the entire set of pics up on my ATI Fatboy thread. Thanks!
Mine is still at ATI for warranty work. Or in long-term storage there at any rate.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 AM

I've taken my Dremel to my slide and removed the material that was there "causing" the problem of having to use that goofy half shouldered reverse spring plug. I'm currently using the Colt Defender one with the ATI guide rod and a Kimber Ultra spring.

I have about 150 rounds thru this set up and have NO issues! Gun runs flawlessly. Yes, it sticks out the front a tic more than what was stock and you can see the guide rod recessed. But the spring is what is keeping the guide rod centered for it to cycle properly. So far so good! I'm really happy with the results. My next upgrade will be to drop in the whole guide rod and spring plug set up from a Kimber Ultra.

So to date I've done: polished the feed ramp, throat of barrel, slide rails, breech face, contact points of barrel, and the frame ralis. Swapped out the ejector with one from WC. Swapped out the slide stop lever with one from STI. Dremeled the slide to accept a "normal" spring reverse plug. Swapped out the factory outer recoil spring with an 18# Kimber Ultra spring. And put a dab of locktite on the screw for the guide rod.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM

mthrtrkr: I'm of the school of thought to grind/machine/file the cheaper part. So I fit the Defender bushing to the slide. There ain't no going back if you grind the slide. Here's a pic of what the bushing looked like side by side with the ATI bushing once I was done.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Yes that is true...to a point. My goal is to be able to use any other spring plug/guide rod set up out there on the market. The school of thought is that the basic design of the factory set up is not very good. Having only half a ring/shoulder weakens the overall strengh of the plug, you're gonna half to replace it again due to the seperation.

I did confer with my "gun guy" and compared his slide to mine before I started the project. He runs a Springfield Micro. He agrees with me that this whole set up just may be a result of cost savings, hence one of the reasons why the gun is so cheap. ATI spends less time on doing the original machining of the slide, cut some corners, and able to market a gun that is more affordable. Again, I have about 150 rounds thru the gun since I've done the "upgrade". I'm not saying its THE answer. I'm just trying a different route to see what happens, but so far so good. I do pull it apart about every 25 rounds and inspect it with a magnifying glass. I wish I could use and electro magnet and some metal dust to find any crack that may incur, but it being mostly stainless steel, its tough.

BUT, my wife has the same gun and I did just fix the plug from a Colt Defender to fit the factory set up of the slide. Sort of a side by side comparison of which design is gonna work the best. But with that said, if I made a mistake and MY design doesn't work I have her design to fall back on. She's getting another gun, due to weight issues.