1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Break in - FTE

So, I have put 300 rounds (magtech 115) through my new Gold Match 2 (in 9mm) and have had 7 FTE in total so far. During the 1st session (150 rounds), I had one FTE and today during the 2nd session, I had 6. It seems getting worse...

All 6 FTEs today, the extractor did not even remove the empty case from the barrel and the nose/ bullet of the next round was pushing the butt of the case. I had to yank the mag out of the frame. Many empty cases hit my head and one got on my shoulder and sat there for a couple of second.. and some barely came out.

Upon cleaning, I noticed that the extractor was fairly loose, especially vertically. I put a live round between the extractor and breach, and shook the slide lightly, and the round stayed in "loosely".

Is this (the extractor being loose) normal? It appears that the extractor for 9mm is two piece design. Would it be possible that those two parts are loose inside the slide?

I am going to put 200 rounds more but how would I know the break-in is done? The pistol shoots pretty accurately. In fact, I have never shot this accurate but I am kind of in the state of "what else baby?". I have put 3000 rounds through my Beretta 92S with no single issue. Different animals but oh dear...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Kimber Gold Match II SS 9mm, Dawson Precision magwell, TrippCobra mags.
Browning Citori 725 Sporting 30"
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Sounds like the extractor needs adjusting. I never heard of a 2 piece internal extractor, is it broken?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM

I looked at the photo on Kimber's web site and it appeared to be two pieces..

http://store.kimberamerica.com/Produ...4/Default.aspx

I will remove and look at it tomorrow night.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM

I believe a long time Colt engineer once said something along the lines of-

If a gun does not work out of the box then it is broken.

In my opinion something is wrong with it and it should go back. I bet if you call them they will tell you to send it back.

ADDENDUM: I just looked...it is NOT two pieces.

Last edited by Corrigun; 05-06-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaep1911 View Post
I looked at the photo on Kimber's web site and it appeared to be two pieces..

http://store.kimberamerica.com/Produ...4/Default.aspx

I will remove and look at it tomorrow night.

Thanks
It does look like 2 pieces but I think it is just a bad picture,
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM

I also think it is the extractor. Since the gun is new, I would call Kimber and ask the to have it shipped back for repair.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Thanks guys for your feedback.

I called Kimber's CS and told a rep two issues.
1) FTE - he asked what ammo I was using and I told him "Magtech 115gr". He said "Ah, that is it! You should use 124 or 147 because 115 does not have enough energy to cycle the slide completely". Really? Why only 7 FTEs out of 300 rounds? Not much advice given so I told him that I would adjust the extractor myself and carry on with the break-in.

I removed the extractor. Thank goodness, it was not broken into piece. What I noticed that the firing pin stop was pretty loose, widthwise. Is it not supposed to be snag fit so that the extractor does not turn in the hole? The extractor does turn a bit... Anyways, I polished the tip of the extractor, referring to Wilson Combat's suggestion. Let's see how it goes next time.

2) My Gold Match 2 came with a standard trigger instead of a premium trigger, and I asked him why. He had no idea but told me that there is no real different in function. The only difference is the number of holes on the trigger block and kindly he told me he prefers the one with the standard trigger block (three holes). I got fed up with him so I told him "never mind...".

It might be something to do with the mag (Kimber's standard)?? I do not really have faith in it and am waiting for Tripp Cobra mags to arrive.

I might order a new firing pin stop. I do not really like to send my gun back to Kimber without being 100% sure they would fix the issue. Having read many reports about their CS, I do not really have faith in them

Thanks!!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Send it back before it's too late and they tell you no. Back as in I want my money back, back. You got nonsense and nonsense for answers.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
Send it back before it's too late and they tell you no. Back as in I want my money back, back. You got nonsense and nonsense for answers.
Right, ask for your money back for an extractor that can be tuned faster than the gun can be boxed for return and maybe a FPS.

jaep1911, don't worrry about the horror stories you've heard about Kimber CS. Read a little around here and you'll discover they treat their customers just fine. If you feel the need to send it back do so with confidence. Personally I'd add a little tension to the extractor.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM

eljay45 - thanks. yes, I want to tune it myself before I send it to Kimber. In fact, I bent the extractor a bit and it holds a round more rigidly. I will fire some more rounds and see how it goes.

At the same time, as there was some wee creep on the trigger, I polished the sides, top and bottom of the trigger bow, and the creep is gone After the break-in, I am going to adjust the take-up, which is a wee bit too much at the moment.

Great experience to learn how the 1911 is made and can be tuned

Cheers
Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM

My 2cents - toss out the kimber extractor altogether. I just doesn't seem to hold tension like quality parts.

I changed to Tripp mags, and Wilson extractor and the gun now runs like a top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 AM

Right,

Spend time and money fixing a $1500 gun that barfed out of the box.

I have no issues with Kimber or their CS. It could be a RI or a Colt or any brand. The brand is not the point. It could be a toaster for that matter. My point is that it's broken.

You would never accept broken as OK in any new product nor should you.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $diver160651 View Post
My 2cents - toss out the kimber extractor altogether. I just doesn't seem to hold tension like quality parts.
If it's tuned right, yes it does.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
If it's tuned right, yes it does.
+1 There's absolutely nothing wrong with the factory Kimber extractor. The Wilson is not a drop in. See their video on their site for all the work they go to on their own extractor to make it right. If tuning it yourself doesn't work then call Kimber Customer Service. They'll treat you right if you ship it to them.

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Sounds like the extractor needs adjusting. I never heard of a 2 piece internal extractor, is it broken?

I have heard this mentioned several times ( "Sounnds like the extractor needs adjusting) Exactly how do you adjust an extractor?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM

If you own a 1911 you need to know how to adjust the extractor. You tube is your friend.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Seven years ago, I had similar problems with my first new Kimber, a ProCarry. When I finally broke it down, the extractor literally fell out of the frame, as it had zero tension on it.

It sounds like you need to add some extractor tension - not too much, not too little! Also the extractor should not be clocking/rotating in the extractor tunnel.

The mag could also be problematic. The Tripp Cobra's are optimum mags for the 1911 imho.

BTW I also have an SA 1911, that I've been shooting alot lately using 115gr reloads. It 's totally reliable; I've never had any problems with it other than cheap after market mags, which caused constant double feeds (sound familiar?!).

I'll only use Tripp/Cobra and Wilson 10 round mags in my 9mm SA to ensure reliability. IMO it's total BS about the magtech ammo causing reliability issues.

Good luck, jaep1911
Kimber: Classic Custom-Clackamas, Classic Gold Match, Classic Stainless, Stainless ProCarry II

Last edited by fredfellini; 05-08-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: additional coments
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay45 View Post
jaep1911, don't worrry about the horror stories you've heard about Kimber CS. Read a little around here and you'll discover they treat their customers just fine. If you feel the need to send it back do so with confidence. Personally I'd add a little tension to the extractor.
Bull. When I has issues with my kimber the CS rep kept telling me I was doing something wrong, and to not even consider sending the pistol back until I put 500 rounds through it. When I tried to explain that I was having a malfunction every 2 to 3 rounds, he still said to put 500 rounds through it before sending it back. When I got it back, it was just as bad as when I sent it.

Not everyone has had good experience with Kimber's customer service.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM

It sounds like you had contact with a total nitwit!

That said; extractor info:

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Rick
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM

"I just looked...it is NOT two pieces."

Wait a minute. You're giving gun repair advice and you didn't know the gun uses a one-piece extractor? You really had to look?

John
Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg56 View Post

Not everyone has had good experience with Kimber's customer service.
Not everyone has a good exprerince with ANY company's customer service. Kimber hasn't outsold every 1911 manufacturer for over a decade because they suck.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"I just looked...it is NOT two pieces."

Wait a minute. You're giving gun repair advice and you didn't know the gun uses a one-piece extractor? You really had to look?

John
He asking for advice , not giving it.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM

That is correct. It was the OP who asked if it was two piece and that he could not tell from the picture. I just uploaded a better picture and confirmed to him that it was not in fact a two piece unit.

I'm pretty sure my advice was implying to send it back not repair it himself. If it was not clear then that is in fact what I was saying and not giving repair advice. I'm generally pretty careful about not talking out of turn in regards to technical issues.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM

I called Kimber CS again today and had a pleasant conversation with two ladies (ladies = always help!). I told them that the FPS can rotate in the slot and they said that it should not. So, they agreed to send me a new FPS. Also, I told them that my GM2 came with a standard trigger and they are also sending me a new premium trigger. One of them asked if I wanted them to look at the gun and fix the issue (FTE) but I told her that I would try it myself this time.

I hope the new FPS would cure the issue. Let's see. If not, they said that I should send the gun back to them.

I would like to take back what I previously said about Kimber's CS in this thread. I should not have said that based on the "cyber reads" and my own single experience and I apologize Kmber for that.

Peace!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay45 View Post
Not everyone has a good exprerince with ANY company's customer service. Kimber hasn't outsold every 1911 manufacturer for over a decade because they suck.
True, but from what I have seen the past few years is that what Kimber does is advertise better than any other 1911 maker. I know 5 guys, including myself, who bought Kimber's in 2011. 3 of the 5 had issues, of the 3, 2 were sent back multiple times to be fixed. That is a pretty poor record.

Budweiser sells more beer than any other brewery. I think their beer sucks, but they do advertise more than any other brewery. Most of their advertisements are pretty good. So are kimber's.